trader joe's.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: trader joe's.

Post by chrizow »

i don't think any KC-esque markets have urban stores.  i see that "midtown" Charlotte is getting one, but STL, Cincy, and Milwaukee have suburban stores.  i think the Plaza area might be suburban enough for TJ's. 
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

i don't think any KC-esque markets have urban stores.  i see that "midtown" Charlotte is getting one
  Chrizow, just curious as to how you see Charlotte as not being "KC-esque".  Is it the age of the building stock?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

missingkc wrote:   Chrizow, just curious as to how you see Charlotte as not being "KC-esque".  Is it the age of the building stock?
i meant that the midtown charlotte store (which i assume is "urban" though i am not familiar with midtown Charlotte) would represent the first urban TJ's store i can think of in a market that approximates KC to some extent. 

LA, Chicago, Boston, NY, Portland, etc. have urban stores. 

STL, Cincy, Milwaukee, etc. do not. 

i don't see why KC would get an urban store if those cities don't?  unless, like i said, a TJ's is opened in the Plaza area. 
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Trader Joe's stores in California are in both urban and suburban areas.  Basically, they go where the customers are.  Interesting, if limited, range of items, and fair prices.  Very popular.  They do carry a lot of wine and liquor - including $2 Charles Shaw - referred to as Two Buck Chuck.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Two Buck Chuck is now THREE buck Chuck!
Just at the Chesterfield store on Labor Day - 'bout dried em up totin vino back here for friends!

Sportster
...i still gurgle when i walk
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Facebook group for TJ in KC is up to almost 800 members.  Join here, join now!  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8493944689
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ZOMG!!11!!!!1  Trader Joe's wants us, they really want us

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/1678

My preferred location is plaza or westport...I don't really think downtown "needs" this anymore with how well the Market stocks cool stuff....but of course they will probably go to 135th and border stateline.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Awesome news!  Course, I have never been to one so I am totally following the herd here. People tell me it's awesome though.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

KCPowercat wrote: I don't really think downtown "needs" this anymore with how well the Market stocks cool stuff....but of course they will probably go to 135th and border stateline.
Downtown may make sense if they only plan on one store for a while.  It has the best freeway access to most of the metro.  They seem to only go in high income areas for new markets first though but they know they are a destination store.

From Consentino's perspective, if it does indeed go downtown, it would probably actually be best for them if TJ's goes literally next door in the empty lot and share the same garage.  Don't see it happening, just sayin.  TJ's has planted next to general markets in other areas.

Otherwise Watts Mill or somewhere between Westport/Brookside seems like best locations.

Looking forward to coconut almonds and high grade saffron on the cheap. Can't say I'll go for headache inducing 2buckchucks but they do carry a lot of doable vino <$10.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

trader joe's

Post by grovester »

I know there's a thread for this but can't find it.  Everyone's dreams will come true (maybe) http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/1678 via blogkc maybe Osco in Westport or the Uptown shops
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Soulard  Central West End

(sorry, just trying to translate Soulard and Central West End)

edit- I got them both right!
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Yes.

Osco in Westport.  PLEASE.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^Would be surprised if they go there for first store.  The site itself is very TJ's but the location/demographics for first store probably won't cut it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ignatius wrote: The site itself is very TJ's but the location/demographics for first store probably won't cut it.
i doubt they ever will go there.  the closest to the core we could hope for would probably be a south plaza/brookside type location.  the 51st/Main area land that DST owns would be ace.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

chrizow wrote: the 51st/Main area land that DST owns would be ace.
:)
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The old Osco/Katz Drug on Main Street is ideal.  Would love to see it restored and back open.  If they took the chance it could really help revive that whole area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I could definitely see them in there.  It seems like a good spot for them.  They are not upscale by any stretch of the imagination. They are more hippy, earthy etc.  It's sort of a discount Whole Foods.  I can't think of any in DC that aren't in the burbs, but w/ that parking lot and brookside so close, it seems like an ideal spot.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I also think a trader joes in that location would help eliminate 90% of the problems in that intersection.  With a constant and massive stream of suburbanite family shoppers coming and going, I doubt that folks are still really going to feel all that comfortable sitting around doing and selling drugs in the bus stops out front. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the problem is that TJ's is not exactly known for being urban pioneers.  a 39/Main store would be by far their most down-scale location in the US.  with the exception of a few heavily upscale/insulated urban neighborhoods in very dense cities (chicago, boston, etc), TJ's locates in upscale suburbs.  i could see a Plaza/Brookside location or maybe fairway/prairie village, but beyond that there is no way they are getting near the core of KC. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: the problem is that TJ's is not exactly known for being urban pioneers.  a 39/Main store would be by far their most down-scale location in the US.  with the exception of a few heavily upscale/insulated urban neighborhoods in very dense cities (chicago, boston, etc), TJ's locates in upscale suburbs.  i could see a Plaza/Brookside location or maybe fairway/prairie village, but beyond that there is no way they are getting near the core of KC. 
Hmm  - most of the TJs I have been to where in older, repurposed buildings that were usually some other form of failed business before it was turned into a TJs - in a variety of different sorts of neighborhoods.  I have never seen one that was in a new, posh development or anything close.