LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

A buddy of mine calls it that, and really: can we argue? It's really serving no purpose, nobody ever goes there. I suppose it had cool history in 1920 but really, it's a very strange looking monument.

We should plant a bunch of shrubbery around it so it looks lik it has pubic hair when you fly over it. Seriously, what can we really do with it?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Post by trailerkid »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:A buddy of mine calls it that, and really: can we argue? It's really serving no purpose, nobody ever goes there. I suppose it had cool history in 1920 but really, it's a very strange looking monument.

We should plant a bunch of shrubbery around it so it looks lik it has pubic hair when you fly over it. Seriously, what can we really do with it?
I'm sure the millions of veterans around the country who paid their country with their own blood would disagree.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, another great post. =D>
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Sheesh, could you be any more dramatic TK?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:Sheesh, could you be any more dramatic TK?
You're basically mocking the symbol of people who've died in foreign wars...I don't see the humor in calling a tribute to these people who gave so much for their country the "big dick in the sky" and suggesting we put pubic hair around it. How about we put pubic hair around your parent's headstone?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

My parent's headstone doesn't look like a Dick tho.

TK, it's all in fun. Calm down. I'm not burning the flag here. It's a funny nickname, and really: the main point is, what attraction does it hold today?

And no: most KC-ians don't want to observe war history.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Tell these guys that you don't like the only official WWI memorial in the world dedicated to them...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

So we can't criticize the design of a monument without directly mocking the soldiers.

O.......k........(????)

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Criticize it all you want. But you're not just criticizing when you are calling into question its significance saying "KC doesn't want to see a war monument." I don't really give a shit if KC wants it or not...it's significant to those who lost their lives or suffered for this country.

There thousands of similar phallic monuments nearly everywhere-- KU's WWII Campenile comes to mind first.

Funny how the dude who wants gay marriage banned also can't stop seeing penises.
=D>
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

A buddy of mine calls it that, and really: can we argue? It's really serving no purpose, nobody ever goes there. I suppose it had cool history in 1920 but really, it's a very strange looking monument.
I know you are new to this board, but you do know they are building a multi-million dollar world war I museum beneath it, correct? (That is desigend by the famous museum designer who designed the holocaust museum in DC)

Did you also know a bill is currently being promoted in congress that would designate the memorial the nation's official world war monument--thus making it even easier for the museum to get even more money?

Or are you just critizing without even researching what you are talking about?

kcteen
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Gorlock »

As a veteran, I find calling the Liberty Memorial a sexual anatomy part appalling. Even though I did not serve in World War I, this is a monument I am proud of. I did not find the original post that funny. :shock: [-X
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nicknames aside, to say the memorial has no draw is very incorrect I believe....it just reopened and for the first time in years, we can take an elevator to the top and get the best views of the city. Soon, the underground museum will be done and will attract tourists to yet another KC attraction.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

I don't get the "phallic" symbolism, either. Its a cylinder... there are many buildings that have the same shape. Coit tower in SF is similar, Light Houses are similar too. I posted a few pictures of the Liberty Memorial a couple weeks back at:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... php?t=3270

and all I have to say is "grow up", and if you wanna have a real critique about the design of it, let me know... And I can't believe I actually responded to an obvious flame thread!!! ](*,)
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

KCPowercat wrote:nicknames aside, to say the memorial has no draw is very incorrect I believe....it just reopened and for the first time in years, we can take an elevator to the top and get the best views of the city. Soon, the underground museum will be done and will attract tourists to yet another KC attraction.
Gotta disagree. Aside from KC, the rest of the world has no idea it even exists. It is interesting that it's alleged "fallic" architecture has been a beacon to alternative activities in the area for 20+ years.

"Dude, that looks like a giant wang.....it must be our Mecca."
-Ricky
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

once the new museum opens up more recgonition will be given to the monument...especially if it becomes a national monument.

I find it hard to believe nobody outside of KC knows about it...I've went to the top of the monument a few times and I see a lot of out of state plates.

Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Sadly, the 5 story tall groundhog and two-headed steer in Oakley, Kansas has more notoriety than our memorial.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

according to.......

Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

I'd even venture to say that the average Joe on the street couldn't even tell you what Liberty Memorial is supposed to memorialize.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

and the average person's ignorance is who's fault?

That same guy couldn't tell you who's buried in Grant's tomb or ID what building the president lives in.

Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KCPowercat wrote:and the average person's ignorance is who's fault?

That same guy couldn't tell you who's buried in Grant's tomb or ID what building the president lives in.
Good call, but if the folks who live here don't know, then we shouldn't expect anyone else outside KC to know either.

I hate to use the classic example, but it's like 18th & Vino. Put money into it, make it cool and never tell a soul that it exists. Spend spend spend and hope hope hope that it takes off.

Does the CVB actually do anything? Who are they marketing to? Why aren;t thewir butts all over the country telling people about KC? It appears to me that the economic development authorities do a heck of a lot better job promoting KC than the CVB.