Questions / Comments About Moderation

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Questions / Comments About Moderation

Post by staubio »

Please post any questions, comments, or concerns you have about moderation here -- and only here. Any discussion of moderation in other threads will be deleted. Persistent infringement of this will result in an account suspension.

As always, you are encouraged to contact a moderator directly via PM or to use the "report post" utility to let us know of any problems.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Questions / Comments About Moderation

Post by voltopt »

The moderators are very handsome and likable.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

voltopt wrote: The moderators are very handsome and likable.
You are invited to the next conspiracy hatching party!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Moderation. I like it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

voltopt wrote: The moderators are very handsome and likable.
Their taste in beer is generally impeccable. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Have you lost weight, mods? 

Wow.  You look good, mods (as always)!

You're the best at what you do, mods.

You are loved by all, mods!

I am nothing but dirt at your feet, mods.

You are perfect in every way, mods.

You are wise beyond your years, mods.

O:)
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

lol!  :D  Love it!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

MD has an interesting perspective on urban things - I've grown to appreciate some of his comments on the metropolitan area.

I think MD is indicative of the "average" professional metro Kansas Citian. It would be a shame to not be able to observe first hand how that sort of person thinks.  I think it would be pretty short sighted to ban him.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Can you ban someone from only certain parts of the forum?  If they cannot handle the sports threads, just ban from those.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Banning should be used in moderation.

However, there is a case to be made for extreme measures to be employed against chronically destructive posters.  Perhaps a similar tactic as that utilized by a vigilante cable tv employee, who many years ago devised a system by which they could send a very high amperage electrical charge through coaxial cable to the electronic array of repeat cable pirates.

C'mon, haven't you ever wanted to employ the delete button in a more meaningful way?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

voltopt wrote: MD has an interesting perspective on urban things - I've grown to appreciate some of his comments on the metropolitan area.

I think MD is indicative of the "average" professional metro Kansas Citian. It would be a shame to not be able to observe first hand how that sort of person thinks.  I think it would be pretty short sighted to ban him.

I Agree, although I must say that he is a nuisance in the sports threads.  Some may say that we lack flavor without him, but I honestly would rather read what I want, than have to sort through 20 pages of KU garble just to find one meaningful post.  I am all for short bannings/timeouts....although...from what I understand Maitre D has had plenty of those over the years...and at some point you just have to stand up and say "No".  Three strikes is enough, and I think thats something that everyone should know.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

loftguy wrote: Banning should be used in moderation.
Only three people have ever been banned from this forum. The second and third(chef and MD) were officially banned yesterday. I think that in seven years of existence, that's a pretty low number of bans.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bahua wrote: Only three people have ever been banned from this forum. The second and third(chef and MD) were officially banned yesterday. I think that in seven years of existence, that's a pretty low number of bans.
It's Friday.  The economy is in turmoil.  People are uptight and a bit intense, as seems to be reflected by a couple of threads herein.

I was having fun with a turn of the phrase, while being serious.  Moderation should include banning.

The rest of my post was a glimpse at my fantasy world, by which I retain the outward appearance of sanity.

Did I happen to mention that I am black?

edit:  (Although most people mistake me for a Vietnamese prostitute.)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bahua wrote: Only three people have ever been banned from this forum. The second and third(chef and MD) were officially banned yesterday. I think that in seven years of existence, that's a pretty low number of bans.
Was Michael the other?  I have never known if he was actually banned or not...I figured he was banned though..either him or paintfumes.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

im2kull wrote: Was Michael the other?  I have never known if he was actually banned or not...I figured he was banned though..either him or paintfumes.
Probably so- I think the question is, was he only banned once, or is Bahua rolling all of his bans into one?
bahua wrote: I think that in seven years of existence, that's a pretty low number of bans.
And this is probably true. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, Michael was the other. I don't really count all the subsequent accounts he opened as different bans.

Paintfumes was muted, and I wrote him, saying he had to change his attitude if he wanted to be unmuted. He chose not to change, and told me as much, so the mute is still in effect. He was never banned. He's still welcome to come back, and always has been, provided he doesn't troll. He would never make the promise not to be a troll when I asked him, so there you go. I look at that as him leaving, and not a ban. He loved to call it a ban though. People that get punished for purposely acting like assholes tend to think they're treated unfairly, or at least want the world to think that.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

voltopt wrote: MD has an interesting perspective on urban things - I've grown to appreciate some of his comments on the metropolitan area.

I agree with your point and I've struggled with this as well. I liked his "average suburban KC resident" perspective and thought it was valuable. I just wish he could conduct himself in a constructive way. This is why I campaigned first to shutter the sports rooms as I knew that is where the ugliness originated -- but obviously that wasn't to be.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sports rooms don't make bad posters.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Personnally I am glad you banned MD.

The sheer volume of his posts and the inane nature of most of them detracted from the board. He seemed to relish getting into petty bickering on threads. The board seems to have improved already with him gone.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:sports rooms don't make bad posters.
Given the rampant level of that kind of BS on sports-specific forums, I think your assessment may be incorrect.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin