Smokin Joes to become pub?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
hoghead

Re: Smokin Joes to become pub?

Post by hoghead »

The Crossroads could use a good blue's bar...............
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm disappointed in the concept but who knows, there are some really cool places that if I heard the concept, I wouldn't think I would like it (don't ask me to name them, I'm coming up with blanks)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: yeah...i hate to be a buzzkill but for every cool furniture store, extra virgin, or vespa outlet that opens it seems that we also get a Dolce, Paddy O's, Bellringer's, etc.  
So, without even seeing the place, you already know that Bellringer's is on par with Dolce and a defunct sports bar (two places that have nothing in common other than they don't interest you)? That's pretty open-minded....

I'm not overly excited about this - but it's nice to see local investors taking an interest in our community and I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt. If it sucks -so be it.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a few pool tables in the xroads.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

jimb wrote: What happened to Smokin' Joes?  It used to always be packed at lunch.  They spent all that money on the upgrade and deck, and then "Poof" it was closed.

It wasn't the greatest que in the world, but not bad - lunch special was a good deal and within walking distance.  I was surprised to see it gone as quick as it was.
It was closed down by the health dept. with a bunch of violations.
the only thing for sure is change.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cyclops wrote: It was closed down by the health dept. with a bunch of violations.
Yea, we quite going.  That place became known for rat shit and roaches.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/fbh/1115963142.html

Bell Ringers Pub & Grub is opening soon and we need to hire a strong and experienced staff for all positions.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KC_Grizz
Surface Lot

Bell Ringers is OPEN!! Formerly JOE's 101

Post by KC_Grizz »

Bell Ringers opened this week... Hope some of you stopped by on 1st Friday's

The place has been scrubbed from top to bottom and is VERY CLEAN!!

Full Menu will appear next week... right now they have a limited menu available...

Recommendations: "My Favorite Pasta"  also tried the chicken strips (Caleb's ???). Food is great!! 

No pool tables, it is a sports venue focusing on Boxing and other sports. They will have live music and starting Wednesday May 13th will host a Bike Night 6-9pm supporting the Pediatric Brian Tumor Foundation (www.pbtfus.com). Bike Night charity will offer a 50/50 drawing and other prizes, this will run until Labor Day.

Give them a try... but understand one thing as all restaurants when they open do experience small issues that need tweaked, the owners are very experienced and will do anything to make it work.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Are they going to have the big fight on tonight?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Bell Ringers is OPEN!! Formerly JOE's 101

Post by DaveKCMO »

KC_Grizz wrote:
Bell Ringers opened this week... Hope some of you stopped by on 1st Friday's

The place has been scrubbed from top to bottom and is VERY CLEAN!!

Full Menu will appear next week... right now they have a limited menu available...

Recommendations: "My Favorite Pasta"  also tried the chicken strips (Caleb's ???). Food is great!! 

No pool tables, it is a sports venue focusing on Boxing and other sports. They will have live music and starting Wednesday May 13th will host a Bike Night 6-9pm supporting the Pediatric Brian Tumor Foundation (www.pbtfus.com). Bike Night charity will offer a 50/50 drawing and other prizes, this will run until Labor Day.

Give them a try... but understand one thing as all restaurants when they open do experience small issues that need tweaked, the owners are very experienced and will do anything to make it work.
welcome to the best source for unfiltered feedback about your business :)

good call on reaching out to the bike peeps. they will appreciate it.

and... welcome to the 'hood!
KC_Grizz
Surface Lot

Post by KC_Grizz »

Not my Business... But I'm involved with the Bike Night (charity)  as I also do one in Lees Summit @ JBS

I do know that the owners of this business are very experienced in the food and beverage industry.

You can find critics everywhere and there is nothing wrong with someones opinion...

The Cross Roads district has so much to offer to everyone, nice to see the number of businesses that 
  have come to this area of town over the last 5 years or so.

8)
TheKCGuy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by TheKCGuy »

I made it over to Bell Ringers myself the other night. Great burger and fries. No beer on tap, but that didn't stop me from taking advantage of bottles! Full liquor bar, but I didn't look at the wines. I'm betting their upstairs deck will be a big hit on First Fridays and just about any other night all summer. Don't let the boxing theme scare you off. It's a pretty normal bar, and wasn't too sporty or whatever to scare off my wife. I'll be back there soon.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

TheKCGuy wrote: I made it over to Bell Ringers myself the other night. Great burger and fries. No beer on tap, but that didn't stop me from taking advantage of bottles! Full liquor bar, but I didn't look at the wines. I'm betting their upstairs deck will be a big hit on First Fridays and just about any other night all summer. Don't let the boxing theme scare you off. It's a pretty normal bar, and wasn't too sporty or whatever to scare off my wife. I'll be back there soon.
No beer on tap!?  Is this to get around stolen glassware issues on First Friday or something?  That strikes me as bizarre.

Did anyone go to this place for that big fight a couple weeks ago?  I didn't even realize there was a big fight going on, probably until day of.  Funny after my boxing skepticism and my total non-fandom, I seriously considered heading there to check it out.  Alas, the Royals game that night went into extra innings and then watched some Ali-Foreman on ESPN Classic.
TheKCGuy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by TheKCGuy »

AJoD wrote: No beer on tap!?
Whoops. That should read "No beer on tap yet". They're planning on getting it soon. I don't know if they hadn't finished running the lines or something, or if it was a license problem. I'm guessing the former. They had a bunch of taps (maybe 10?) with no handles on them yet, so they'll probably have beer on tap soon.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Ah, makes more sense, thanks.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Somebody f'd up this one when reading the contract.  I hope I'm ok to post this from the source...but apparently the people that were operating Bellringer's didn't realize that their purchase of the building did not include the restaurant equipment.  Smokin Joe's didn't own their own stuff, so as Bellringers were operating, pieces were taken back by the owners, and pretty soon they had to close because they had no equipment, just a building!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

They should have just thought fast and converted it into a real boxing/UFC ring!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Somebody f'd up this one when reading the contract.  I hope I'm ok to post this from the source...but apparently the people that were operating Bellringer's didn't realize that their purchase of the building did not include the restaurant equipment.  Smokin Joe's didn't own their own stuff, so as Bellringers were operating, pieces were taken back by the owners, and pretty soon they had to close because they had no equipment, just a building!
Whoa.  That's....weird.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

great, so now it will collect cobwebs for years until someone with deep pockets comes along. WHERE ARE YOU MINSKY'S??!?!?!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Would anyone mind if the building was torn down and a 5-10 story condo building was built in its place w/ a gallery and restaurant space on the ground floor?  It seems like it's at the center of the X-roads.  A signature building would be great there!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Midtownkid wrote: Would anyone mind if the building was torn down and a 5-10 story condo building was built in its place w/ a gallery and restaurant space on the ground floor?  It seems like it's at the center of the X-roads.  A signature building would be great there!
Not at all, go right ahead!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag