Sprint cuts workforce by 14 percent and freezes pay

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Sprint cuts workforce by 14 percent and freezes pay

Post by knucklehead »

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sprint cuts workforce by 14 percent and freezes pay

Post by Tosspot »

"Bloodbath" in the job market today, so it's being said. Amazing.

Among others - Caterpillar, John Deere, the auto industry. There go the last bastions of American manufacturing.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I pointed out in another thread and so does the KC Star article that many of those jobs could be outsourced.  So it's a layoff in the sense many will not be on payroll but contractors will be replacing those jobs, that is, still likely positions in KC.  In some cases, Sprint employees will simply become contractors.  It may not be as big of an economic hit to KC as it appears.  Let's hope so anyway.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Heard some guy say on Shannon and Parks that Sprint lays off workers and then hires new ones immediately so they don't have seniority and don't have to pay as much.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NDTeve wrote: Heard some guy say on Shannon and Parks that Sprint lays off workers and then hires new ones immediately so they don't have seniority and don't have to pay as much.
doubtful after they just lost a major class action suit for ageism.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

Sprint has layoffs so often it's hard to keep track.  They're also famous for laying off a big chunk of people, then hiring a bunch of contractors who aren't considered actual employees.  It's like a game there of waiting to see what the new buyout package will be. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I will drive 10 miles out of my way to purchase a Hallmark Card over some cheap off brand, but for some reason, I simply have little sympathy for Sprint.  I know the company effects tens of thousands of people in metro KC, including my next door neighbor, but for the most part, I just don't have the passion or the tears when Sprint has problems like I would with other local companies.

When American Century laid off all those employees last year, that was huge to me.  They never do that.  That is one of the best companies in the midwest to work for and the founders of that company and the existing company today do more for KC than Sprint ever will.

Hopefully most of the Sprint people let go in KC are able to go out and find another job or create start ups.  We need those people to stay in KC.

Good luck Sprint employees, I feel for you.  Sprint?  Not so much.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Grid, wasn't it you who said KC needs more local pride?  Borderline hypocrisy there man.  Texas companies are supported by Texans with a great deal of passion.  KC is pretty apathetic towards local companies.  Sad.

I use Sprint and will continue to do so.  The service is fine, the support is not, but I only call support maybe once a year.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

GRID wrote: for some reason, I simply have little sympathy for Sprint. 
Surprise surprise.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ignatius wrote: Grid, wasn't it you who said KC needs more local pride?  Borderline hypocrisy there man.  Texas companies are supported by Texans with a great deal of passion.  KC is pretty apathetic towards local companies.  Sad.

I use Sprint and will continue to do so.  The service is fine, the support is not, but I only call support maybe once a year.
I'm just saying I don't have the passion for Sprint that you would think one would have.  I tell everybody to buy Garmin, I tell people what cars are made in KC and try to go with local products when I can.

I had Sprint service for many years up till about 8 years ago and honestly, their service was horrible and I couldn’t get a signal in half the MO suburbs.  Never had so many dropped calls.  I know that's all better now, but I have since moved on.

I'm just saying that Sprint invokes little "passion" in me for whatever reason….

I don’t want them to fail by any stretch and I suppose that if I lived out there by the campus I would feel differently.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Texas companies are supported by Texans with a great deal of passion.
And this missourian supports missouri companies with a passion.

I was given a $25 gift card to dave&busters and i was like "noooooo"!  what should I do with it? LOL
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

schugg wrote: And this missourian supports missouri companies with a passion.

I was given a $25 gift card to dave&busters and i was like "noooooo"!  what should I do with it? LOL

Drive to St Louis.  :D
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

GRID wrote: Drive to St Louis.  :D
perfect!  thanks! I'll be there in july.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

GRID wrote: I will drive 10 miles out of my way to purchase a Hallmark Card over some cheap off brand, ever will.
I knew there was something about you that I liked, now I know.  Wish there were more people like you.  Pumpkinstalker probably feels the same.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I've been trying to get new phones and extend my contract with Sprint, and I see no improvement in customer service from the last time I went through this in 2006.  Certain phones only work with certain plans, reps can't tell you for sure what will work with what.  Cutting more employees surely isn't going to make it better.

I'm all for local pride, but if something sucks, it sucks and deserves the reputation it has--both in KC and elsewhere.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I use Sprint and every other local product regardless of how bad it is.  Even Applebees.

:puke:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I was hometown loyal to them for a decade+, but my hometown loyalty isn't so deep as to stick around after getting badly burned.  I guess it was a double strike against hometown loyalty since I now get my GPS through Verizon instead of a Garmin device. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

It's like buying American-brand cars only because they're American brands, even though they sucked for so long. Shape up or ship out.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Maitre D wrote: I use Sprint and every other local product regardless of how bad it is.   Even Applebees.

:puke:
I am inclined to use KC products whenever I get the opportunity and will certainly use Sprint when I return to the states provided they are still in business.  Re Applebees; you only get so many meals in life and I'm farther along in using them up than most here, so I think I will refrain from eating Applebees from here on out.  There is just no reason for eating something you don't enjoy unless you are starving.  Plus, I don't think they will remain a KC company all that much longer anyway.  

I have to say that I am yet to buy a car made in KC....it's unfortunately a pretty small selection to choose from for such a big ticket item.    
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: I have to say that I am yet to buy a car made in KC....it's unfortunately a pretty small selection to choose from for such a big ticket item.    
Well if you are a fan of any Opel's we are increasingly doing a good business slapping Saturn badges on them.  Supposedly they are going to add a Buick next year.    :D