Big 12 Football 2008

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Big 12 Football 2008

Post by shinatoo »

Noticed the OU logo on the roof of Dolphin Stadium is backwards. How the hell does that happen?
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Of course until relatively recently... OU's QB's were even less pass game proficient than NU QB's.  You have to go back to the 70's to find NU's most successful QB in the NFL... Vince Ferragamo... who led the Rams (not those Rams) to a Superbowl.  Scott Frost did play safety for a few years ... if Eric Crouch had any brains, he would have run kick returns/etc for a few years... could have earned his NFL pension like Frost.  It's interesting to note that both Ferragamo and Frost transferred to Nebraska after 2 years at California schools.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

It's probably not an option, but I'd rather have Tebow than Bradford or Stafford as our 2009 #1 draft pick. Dude is tough and looks like a great pro in the future.

Tough loss for the Sooners...
the only thing for sure is change.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

plus according to announcers, that 15 yard penalty at the end was the first thing he'd ever done wrong in his life.  :|
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Yeah but the shot of him doing the Gator chomp will be replayed for millions of dollars worth of promos.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCPowercat wrote: plus according to announcers, that 15 yard penalty at the end was the first thing he'd ever done wrong in his life.  :|
I am in shock at the fawning Tebow coverage.  He's a good player, but geez...I sure didn't think he was the difference in the game.

"he lived in a leper colony"

And I've seen the Tebow pages that make the Chuck Norris/Jack Bauer awesomeness jokes.  It sounded like these announcers were reading from those.

If someone sees a compilation of Tebow-excess from the nat. champ game, I'd love to see it.  Absolutely ridiculous.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

I think he was the difference. His ability to run was huge, especially late in the game. He certainly outplayed Bradford in the end. Florida's defense gets a lot of the credit too.

I'll agree that the fawning was a bit overboard. I haven't even heard the expression "leper colony" in the last twenty years. Maybe in a biblical movie or something  :)

Still, I'd take him in the draft over Bradford if I was a GM. I like the energy and leadership. And he's never EVER made a mistake!!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Yes the Fawning was overboard but the "First mistake every" "Write it down in his permanent record" stuff was in fun. If I owned the Chiefs, or was a season ticket holder, I would much rather have my money go to guys like Tony Richardson and Tim Tebow than Pac Man Jones or Larry Johnson. And rally Larry Johnson developed his problems while he was here, but if the Chiefs had brought a serious social delinquint like Jones into my community and paid him millions I would be furious. And people act like Tebow is a wierdo because he has morals and cares about people. I'll admit I don't care for a lot of his "preachy" stuff but thats a small thing to overlook for a high quality player that is also a high quality person.

I will predict that if he does ever get caught doing something bad that there is a certain group of people that will rejoice.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just don't see him longterm in the nfl, but I am no scout.

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

shinatoo wrote: And people act like Tebow is a wierdo because he has morals and cares about people.
Oh, I don't mean to imply anything about Tebow himself, just the giggly mancrush coverage.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AJoD wrote: Oh, I don't mean to imply anything about Tebow himself, just the giggly mancrush coverage.
Despite being fairly competitive, I thought it was a hell of a boring football game so I can see how the announcers had to keep up the fluff.  Seemed more like two offenses stumbling over themselves than two powerful teams slugging it out. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

CONGRATS TO THE 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPION UTAH UTES!!!!!*

*-or at least, they should be
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: CONGRATS TO THE 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPION UTAH UTES!!!!!*

ditto. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Maclin announces that he is going pro. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: CONGRATS TO THE 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPION UTAH UTES!!!!!*

yeah, those wins over colorado state, new mexico state, and san diego state sure proved their dominance.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, those wins over colorado state, new mexico state, and san diego state sure proved their dominance.
They also beat TCU, BYU and Alabama, all ranked teams and didn't lose a single game.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Florida's loss to ole miss was impressive.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, those wins over colorado state, new mexico state, and san diego state sure proved their dominance.
Way to ignore their big wins. Nice assessment.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: They also beat TCU, BYU and Alabama, all ranked teams and didn't lose a single game.
And Oregon State and Michigan in Ann Arbor, not to mention that their defeat of Alabama was in New Orleans, smack in the middle of SEC country and by a larger margin than Florida beat them.  All these things conveniently forgotten by those who deny Utah's claim to the national championship. 

I think they should go ahead and have a National Championship banner made and hang it in their stadium....it's their right, the National Championship is an entirely subjective claim and I have no more faith in the opinions of the AP voters than I do anyone elses. 
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

It's funny reading all of the predictions for next season and seeing Nebraska and ND ranked so highly (again).  Another preseason top 25 from name only.  I have no idea how anyone can not pick Kansas right now to win the North (although it still goes through Mizzou until someone steps up and actually takes it as far as I'm concerned).  Nebraska plays @MU, @KU, and @CU.  NU got railed by Mizzou at home, barely escaped CU at home, and had a nice 10 point win over KU at home.  This is all on top of thier South schedule.  Bo seems to have their defense rolling, but their offense may be awful next year.  The Nubs are still another year off from making any real noise IMO.