KC 1990

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KC 1990

Post by grovester »

I moved to the area in '89 from the Bay area, shortly thereafter 2 friends came to visit, they had lived in OP as kids in the 70s.  So we went downtown to look around.  I'm pretty sure it was 1990, in any case it was the year that the triple bill of the Ramones, Blondie and Talking Heads got rained out at Starlight.  Sorry for the pink tinges, the 110 film sat in a cartridge undeveloped for about 10 years.  Talk about a cool find.

I was disappointed there weren't any photos of the shuttered Union Station because we spent a lot of time peeking inside.  It was fun to send them photos of the grand reopening when it happened.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KC 1990

Post by DaveKCMO »

thanks for sharing! what corner is that in the 2nd pic?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

wish I knew, I was new to the area when I took it.  The sign in the background pointed to the Longbranch if that helps.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

11th and Baltimore.  North East corner.  (Behind Pecks and 21TEN)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Great to see this... wish you had more.

Italian Gardens... back when I was 18 or so we'd go there for suds and manage to not get carded.

And the TWA building.... I remember it from such an early age. Like being in the back seat of my dad's VW Beetle riding up Baltimore on a late Saturday afternoon - it really felt like we were the only ones in the entire downtown, that's how vacant the place seemed. And that sign always stuck out to me.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wow, cool!  Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!

It's interesting to see what KC looked like about 19 years ago.  Sadly, it almost looks the same, but's it's still interesting!
KC is the way to be!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

AllThingsKC wrote: Sadly, it almost looks the same, but's it's still interesting!
What?!  Every single shot looks different today.  Italian Gardens is gone, and replaced w/ a parking garage; Hereford House has been remodeled and looks less country (then got blown up); And the hotel president and surrounding area...well you know how that looks now.  It would be even more sad if we couldn't recognize anything...like in 'KC Then and Now'
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Midtownkid wrote: 11th and Baltimore.  North East corner.  (Behind Pecks and 21TEN)
Correct.  The brick building in the background is the still open in 1990 Dillards/Macy's... It is now the low slung garage between main and baltimore for the now non-existant Transamerica employees in the Town Pavilion.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i still remember in the summer of 94 when they took out the chanderliers, signage, and oak paneling out of the prez, and we all thought it was a goner.

once they stripped it of all of that, the lobby level looked so hellish from the outside.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

My work parking lot is where the old Italian Gardens used to be and I used to eat there for lunch all the time.  It would be cool if they could open up a smaller version of it in the empty storefront space that is there now.  What was the small building directly to the north?  Too bad bad the high rise on the SW corner of 11th & Balt. just sits there.

On another note, where did the downtown Longbranch used to be located?
Last edited by Dr. Know on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.