thai garden - new thai place on w. 39th

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

thai garden - new thai place on w. 39th

Post by chrizow »

thai garden is now open in the old mama's space on 39th street.  i have not tried it yet, but hope to soon. 

in other thai news, there was a letter from a law firm taped to the front door at thai place in westport - something about $60,000+ in overdue rent.  that can't be good...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: thai garden - new thai place on w. 39th

Post by dangerboy »

Thai Garden is pretty good.  The family is very friendly, service is excellent, etc. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chrizow wrote: thai garden is now open in the old mama's space on 39th street.  i have not tried it yet, but hope to soon. 

in other thai news, there was a letter from a law firm taped to the front door at thai place in westport - something about $60,000+ in overdue rent.  that can't be good...
Yikes, and I like that place a lot.  Chicken Curry Fried Rice is amazing!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Looking forward to trying the new one.  My sister knows of the family.

Have been really disappointed with TP in Westport lately compared to the one in KC North.  The Westport one has really lowered the standards ever since the son took over.  The KCN one is quite good and it's unfortunate Northlanders are not appreciating what they have.  Got to know them pretty well up there and they've given me lots of cooking tips. They need to downsize to half the space though and it doesn't have to be that nice of a space. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: in other thai news, there was a letter from a law firm taped to the front door at thai place in westport - something about $60,000+ in overdue rent.  that can't be good...
This is the second rumor of Thai Place empire meltdown I have heard in the last couple weeks - I blew the first one off as preposterous given that the one I frequent seems to remain quite busy, but two sources starts to raise an eyebrow. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: This is the second rumor of Thai Place empire meltdown I have heard in the last couple weeks - I blew the first one off as preposterous given that the one I frequent seems to remain quite busy, but two sources starts to raise an eyebrow. 
yeah.  i read the letter myself.  didn't sound good. 

the westport location is never, ever busy, and the place is huge (capacity 200+!) and rather opulent.  (perhaps people are balking at $15 curry?)  Arun is busy at lunch (or used to be when i went there), but i've never seen more than a few people in there in the evenings.  i have not been to the JoCo or northland locations.  i'd hate to see thai place go.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I was hearing something about tax issues. 

It would be a truly sad day - I remember when they first opened as a funky joint in OP ages ago.  But they get pricier every year - people expect thai food to be moderate, not the sort of place you go to on a special event budget. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote: yeah.  i read the letter myself.  didn't sound good. 

the westport location is never, ever busy, and the place is huge (capacity 200+!) and rather opulent.  (perhaps people are balking at $15 curry?)  Arun is busy at lunch (or used to be when i went there), but i've never seen more than a few people in there in the evenings.  i have not been to the JoCo or northland locations.  i'd hate to see thai place go.
I went a few months ago on a Friday night and it was very busy. Otherwise, yea its pretty empty, maybe 3-4 tables at a time are being used on a typical weekday night.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I'm trying the Thai garden for lunch today.  Has anyone else checked it out?
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We had dinner there on Friday.  It was pretty good and had drunken noodles and some sort of curry-fied pad thai.  Both were pretty good, although I think the drunken noodles are better at the Thai Place.  It does have the advantages of being cheaper than T.P. and closer to home.  Disadvantages -- no liquor license, bright lighting, and skimping on either HVAC or insulation.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

gee, no liquor License.  I guess it will remain a lunch place for me if i like it.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

What's the pricing like?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We each paid about 10-12 for ours, looks like lunch might be cheaper.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Had lunch yesterday at Thai garden.  I guess for the price it was fine.  We had the Tom Yum soup, which is nothing like Tom Yum soup but tasted fine and for $7.99 was nourishing enough.  It had a boatload of button mushrooms, not shiitake, loads of celery, stuff like that.  The heat seemed to be generated more by chili powder then any small red pepper taste. No lemongrass, no kaffir lime leaves.  We also had the Gang Curry, which if I remember the Thai language, that just means curry curry.  But with the shrimp at $10.99, it is so much cheaper then the Thai place which runs about $21.95.  The Thai Place is much better, but the curry here wasn’t bad.  A little on the watery side.  The service was fine, but no attempt was made to have a small conversation or anything like that, it was serve the food and run back to the kitchen.  Just the normal, haven’t been open too long kind of thing.  We were the only two people there from about 11:15 to 12:00.  I don’t think they were ready to be open at 11:00 and that is why the were so busy.  I doubt if we will be back, there are so many places to eat, but I hope they do well.
So the place is clean, the people seem friendly, if you want some semi Thai food at a decent price, its fine.  It just made me think that if Chipotle went into Thai food, this is what you would get.  Decent food at a good price but not authentic.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

cknab1 wrote: if you want some semi Thai food at a decent price, its fine.  It just made me think that if Chipotle went into Thai food, this is what you would get.  Decent food at a good price but not authentic.
That's kind of how I have ranked LuLu's on SW Blvd.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

The prices here are wonderful.  The food was very good.  I had the Pad Pak and it was incredible.  The servings are very generous and the food tastes very healthy.  I was very impressed wit this place
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.