Long-term parking

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
ee1234
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Long-term parking

Post by ee1234 »

I'll be driving up from Tulsa to Kansas City to catch the train. I need somewhere to park for a week. I see it's $10/day to park at Union Station.

Any suggestions on places to park around Union Station or downtown for a week for cheaper than $10/day? We have several garages here in Tulsa that don't charge you if you leave after 6pm. Anything like that in KC? I'll be arriving back on the 9:30pm train on a Friday night, if that helps.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Long-term parking

Post by GRID »

That union station garage is sort of odd.  They don't even staff it most of the time.

I would just park there and either say you lost your ticket or something and you would probably pay for a day.  Chances are there will be nobody there anyway and you can just pull out for free, especially on weekends or evenings.

I don't think long term parking is an issue there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

When nobody is staffing it I am pretty sure its an automated pay station, unless that has changed?

You can hunt around the streets for parking that doesn't have limits on it, I can think of a few streets in the cbd and crossroads like that.

Or park in the p&l garage, get it validated and its only 2 bucks, no limit to time. Not sure if security would notice a car there for a week and/or their rules on that garage.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Park in a plaza garage for free and take a MAX bus to Union Station. :)

Do you know when you will be picking up the car?

If it's on a weekend, park in the Crown Center Garage under the Ice rink, you will also be able to get out for free on a weekend.

Or tell them you lost your ticket and pay a day. ;)
ee1234
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ee1234 »

Thanks for the tips. I am planning on staying in a hotel somewhere the night before I depart. Perhaps I could stay in the Plaza area and just catch the bus in the morning.

Where exactly is the free garage in the plaza?

I'll be picking up the car on a Friday night about 9:30ish, or whenever the perpetually late train arrives.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Park in the Crown Center garage. You'll have to get a ticket to get in, but unless something has changed they lift the gates on Friday nights because it's free parking all weekend.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

mean wrote: Park in the Crown Center garage. You'll have to get a ticket to get in, but unless something has changed they lift the gates on Friday nights because it's free parking all weekend.
What he said. If you are leaving the garage that late on Friday you will be able to park for free.  Just pull a ticket on arrival and the gates will be up for you to drive out when you leave
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

All the parking garages on the plaza are free.  Almost every block has them, hidden being shops.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

My only worry about the Plaza garages is that if you leave a car unattended for a week, would security eventually think it's abandonded and have it towed?   
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Not sure.  I wouldn’t think they would even notice for a week.  Just park in a busy part of a garage.

But since he is coming back on a late Friday night (or Saturday morning), Crown Center is the best option.

Same deal though.

Park under the ice rink (not in the garage behind the mall) and park near one of the elevator banks to the offices.

People park long term all the time there.  When people fly out of KC from our office, many leave the car in the garage and take a shuttle or cab to KCI.

Plus there are company cars etc always parked overnight.

I would think you might get noticed in one of the more retail garages.

If you do park on the Plaza, there is a garage right behind the MAX stop on Nichols Parkway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The plaza notices. When I lived there and couldn't find parking, I would end up in a garage overnight. After about 4 seperate times of one night each I had a notice on my car about a future ticket.

I would wonder about any garage security noticing a car that's been there a week.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

ee1234 wrote: Thanks for the tips. I am planning on staying in a hotel somewhere the night before I depart. Perhaps I could stay in the Plaza area and just catch the bus in the morning.
Ask your hotel, they may very well be willing to let you leave the car with them for free or a modest fee.  They might even have a shuttle that can take you to/from Union Station.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

If I was a security guard, I would notice a lone car sitting in a garage not moved for a week. Those garages get pretty empty at night. I would eventually think it was stolen and call the police and make a way bigger deal than it is, just to keep my night exciting. I would rather pay to park somewhere I know my car won't be broken into, stolen, or towed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

LindseyLohan wrote: I would rather pay to park somewhere I know my car won't be broken into, stolen, or towed.
Let me know when you find that place anywhere.

KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Anyone want to use ee1234's car for a week if you put gas in it and have insurance?
:lol:
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

The library parking garage at 10th & Baltimore is only $2 on nights and weekends.  Just put $2 in the machine, don't use your ticket or pull up to the attendant.  The garage is used 24/7 so no one will notice your car for a week.  Mine sat there for 3 months without moving :)
ee1234
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ee1234 »

GRID wrote: Not sure.  I wouldn’t think they would even notice for a week.   Just park in a busy part of a garage.

But since he is coming back on a late Friday night (or Saturday morning), Crown Center is the best option.

Same deal though.

Park under the ice rink (not in the garage behind the mall) and park near one of the elevator banks to the offices.
How do I access the garage under the ice rink? What street is the entrance on?
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

You can enter on Pershing, just east of Grand.  Or if you take McGee south you drive right into the entrance. 
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Park in a plaza garage for free and take a MAX bus to Union Station. :)

Do you know when you will be picking up the car?

If it's on a weekend, park in the Crown Center Garage under the Ice rink, you will also be able to get out for free on a weekend.

Or tell them you lost your ticket and pay a day. ;)
he said he is getting in after 6 on friday. screw it, just drive out of the garage scott free!! free weekend parking baby!!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D