NBADF selects Manhattan, KS

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

NBADF selects Manhattan, KS

Post by KC-wildcat »

I chose this topic because of the effect that it will have on the Kansas City area in general. 

Government recommends Kansas for biodefense lab
http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 20242.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ocus1.html
Part of the Animal Health Corridor, the K-State campus is near more than 125 animal health companies that employ more than 13,000 workers and account for about 34 percent of sales in the $16.8 billion global animal health market, according to the Kansas City Area Development Corp.

“It is an extremely collaborative process and is beneficial to all parties involved in the collaboration,” said Donald Marvin, CEO of IdentiGEN North America Inc. “Labs get to work with profit-making companies and get a unique understanding of markets where technology could have a place. This sharing of ideas really is a great way to cross-fertilize the development of new technologies and products.”

Should the NBAF locate here, many say it also would attract people and companies wanting to be near the kind of research to come out of the facility.

“It may also be an even stronger attraction for industry for human, animal health and crop biotech, as well a work force that will follow,” Chu said.

ps.  i know another thread existed at one time, but didn't feel like taking 30 minutes to look for it. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: NBADF selects Manhattan, KS

Post by KCPowercat »

Huge get for Manhattan and KSU.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Manhattan KS chosen for new biodefense lab

Post by GuyInLenexa »

It looks like Manhattan KS will be the new site for the Dept. of Homeland Security's 450 million dollar biodefense lab.  A good boost for their economy, just hope nothing leaks out!

AP story:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD94RB19G0
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Manhattan KS chosen for new biodefense lab

Post by NDTeve »

I believe there's already a thread for this.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Whoops, I guess I chose the wrong search words when I checked  :(
It was announced several hours ago.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I don't think anything has leaked out of the CDC in Atlanta.
Last edited by phxcat on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I guess it is official now.  I believe this is a huge plus for the region.  While KC has grown, like a lot of midwestern cities, it has nonetheless been subject shrinking population in its hinterland and this development finally represents a bit a good news for that area.  Good for the entire KC region.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 77750.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And this immensely benefits ksu and their continued lead in all types of ag research. Might not be sexy but it some of the most critical research for this region.

Should further put a strain on housing in manhattan with ksu attendance rising, ft. Riley becoming full capacity, manhattan's new appeal as a retirement city, and now this huge lab.

Huge deal for the university, city, state of ks, and the entire region with the animal research initiative.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

The effects in Manhattan can't be understated. 

The 500,000-square-foot NBAF is expected to employ 250 to 350 people with an annual operating budget of $125 million. Its economic impact is estimated to reach $3.5 billion in the first 20 years.

NBAF is also expected to be a boost for the Kansas State Innovation Campus being built in Olathe. The Innovation Campus will anchor a 92-acre Kansas Bioscience Park, administered by the Kansas Bioscience Authority, in which bioscience companies will be incubated and housed. Construction of infrastructure at the park is under way.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... ily12.html

I believe Columbia, MO is also pusrusing some sort of research park with a bio lab. 

Some estimates project that the population of Manhattan will double in 20 years. 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

+ Texas is pissed. Always good.
  http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaysto ... ormat=html
  Texas Governor Rick Perry this week joined business leaders to protest a decision picking Kansas for a new $450 million federal disease lab.

The Department of Homeland Security chose Kansas State University in Manhattan over a site in San Antonio. The decision is expected to become official next week, after a comment period.

The new lab will study livestock diseases and some of the world's most dangerous biological threats.

Perry and the Texas Bio and Agro-Defense Consortium noted that the site selection process started in January 2006. But they're upset because DHS gave no indication until February 2008 that financial incentives, by state and local governments, could affect the site selection. The Texas Legislature meets every two years and wasn't in session last year.

cont...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bbqboy wrote: + Texas is pissed. Always good.
  http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaysto ... ormat=html
   Texas Governor Rick Perry this week joined business leaders to protest a decision picking Kansas for a new $450 million federal disease lab.

The Department of Homeland Security chose Kansas State University in Manhattan over a site in San Antonio. The decision is expected to become official next week, after a comment period.

The new lab will study livestock diseases and some of the world's most dangerous biological threats.

Perry and the Texas Bio and Agro-Defense Consortium noted that the site selection process started in January 2006. But they're upset because DHS gave no indication until February 2008 that financial incentives, by state and local governments, could affect the site selection. The Texas Legislature meets every two years and wasn't in session last year.

cont...
Good.  It is my opinion that areas of the country growing rapidly on their own accord should NEVER get projects like this unless there is a technical necessity. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

megahuge for building the region's animal health industry.  the columbia/kc/manhattan corridor is supposedly the largest chunk of the animal health research industry on the planet.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Obama budget cuts funds for bio-defense lab

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/13/34 ... shaky.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

God it's fun to hear the shrieking Kansas Tea-tards howl about this little fuck off to Sam Brownback.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chingon wrote:God it's fun to hear the shrieking Kansas Tea-tards howl about this little fuck off to Sam Brownback.
I don't understand this. might be a typo in there or something.

FWIW, Huelskamp is probably a "tea-tard" (whatever that means) and he supported this project.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

grovester wrote:Obama budget cuts funds for bio-defense lab

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/13/34 ... shaky.html
I hope that Roberts (who is powerful member of Senate appropriations committee) finds a way to get this into the budget that Congress sends back to Obama. Or, at least allows for enough money in the budget to continue moving forward with the project. Don't know how much pull Brownback has in D.C. anymore, but I hope he can influence the right people.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

Hmmmmm....maybe the Teabaggers should help the farmer's finance the protection of their industry. OTOH, maybe the govt should help protect our food supply from the biohazards and genetic re-engineering developed by Monsanto, et al.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KC-wildcat wrote:
chingon wrote:God it's fun to hear the shrieking Kansas Tea-tards howl about this little fuck off to Sam Brownback.
I don't understand this. might be a typo in there or something.

FWIW, Huelskamp is probably a "tea-tard" (whatever that means) and he supported this project.
I mean, it is delusional for Kansans to expect the Obama administration to support federally funded projects in the state, when they continue electing tea-party representatives and governors.

And, yes, Huelskamp is a tea-bagger. And yes he supported the project, because that's what teabaggers do, they do not practice what they preach, because what they preach is dumb.

Huelskamp's family (probably parents) farm took 1.1 million dollars in federal aid b/n 1995 and 2010. Yet:
Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Kan., one of the tea party conservatives on the agriculture panel, says he is telling constituents that direct payments will have to go. "Some folks say we want you to defend it to the end of the day, and I say that's not what's going to happen."

Huelskamp believes there should still be some sort of safety net for farmers when prices drop or crops are destroyed. But he says frustration over government regulation — labor and environmental laws in particular — is the top issue on farm voters' minds. People understand they will have to take a cut, he says.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1mVQtr2aC
I think that level of brazen douchebaggery is cute. And Kansas politics is like a case study in cognitive dissonance.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.