Peachtree moving from 18th & Vine to P&L district

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Peachtree moving from 18th & Vine to P&L district

Post by dangerboy »

18th and Vine's troubles are largely self-inflicted.  There are too many groups involved in running it, none of them is competent, and they all fight amongst themselves.  And there is an insularity that resists any outside involvement, leading to a psychological isolation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

didn't they just merge with the downtown council?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: 18th and Vine's troubles are largely self-inflicted.  There are too many groups involved in running it, none of them is competent, and they all fight amongst themselves.  And there is an insularity that resists any outside involvement, leading to a psychological isolation.
They don't even do a very good job of marketing Rythem & Ribs - out of all of the major cultural events on the KC social calendar, I would wager that it is the one that most people are oblivious to. 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

HUGE blow to 18th and Vine.  The city should look into expediting club licenses down there like they do small biz in the xroads.  Encourage live music - any kind of non-dj live music.  Encourage a connection to P&L or at least the xroads.  They're gonna have to play off of P&L to survive, I think.  I would like to see the museums thoroughly modernized and turned into more big-ticket kinds of places, but this takes money.  They should be (particularly the jazz museum) top 10 KC kinds of places for visitors and locals alike.  18th and Vine has soooo much potential, so much history, and the Foundation.  I'm a little disappointed that even on this forum, of all places, many haven't been to the Peachtree or frequent (at least occasionally) the Foundation, which simply drips with the soul of this city.  Maybe with the new DT Council connection things will eventually begin to take shape down there. 
are we spinning free?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ouch. Major blow for 18th and Vine. Good news for me though, as I'm much more likely to visit Peachtree at P&L.

I echo the comments above, 18th and Vine needs to be connected to the Crossroads. Hopefully the DTC can lead them in that direction and give the district the shot in the arm it sorely needs.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Looks like the Peachtree is scheduled to open on Friday.  The space looks awesome with dark woods and plush drapes.  Should be a great addition to the P&L with live Jazz/Blues and a totally different style of food.  I can't wait to try it.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

MightyKC wrote: Looks like the Peachtree is scheduled to open on Friday.  The space looks awesome with dark woods and plush drapes.  Should be a great addition to the P&L with live Jazz/Blues and a totally different style of food.  I can't wait to try it.

Are they planning a bar scene after dark? Could be a spectacularly classy (and very old school KC!) venue for drinks with the right music and atmosphere...definite contrast to KC Live block and complement to what they're doing across the street at Bice.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

trailerkid wrote: Are they planning a bar scene after dark? Could be a spectacularly classy (and very old school KC!) venue for drinks with the right music and atmosphere...definite contrast to KC Live block and complement to what they're doing across the street at Bice.
I think so but I'm not sure.  I talked to Vera? (the owner) a few months ago and they are pretty restricted by Cordish so as to not compete with their other concepts.  She was wanting to stay open 'till one or two but wasn't sure what they were going to be able to do.  Definately agree with the classy old school place.  All that will be missing will be the cigar smoke...
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the sign is up. it wasn't lit last night, but it looks like it will be pretty.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

After failed attempts to make reservations last week - we were informed that the inspection problems should finally be ending and they should be able to open today. 
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I tried to go for lunch today but it was still a no go.  They said they'd be open Wed. 
Last edited by MightyKC on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

MightyKC wrote: I tried to go for lunch today but it was still a no go.  They said Wednesday they'd be open Wed. 
Their sign was lit up last night.  A great piece of neon.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Did anyone go over there today to see if they're open? 
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

We went to the old location at 18th and Vine many times and loved it every time. Like most of you, I'm happy to see it move, and can completely see why they moved to P & L, but am sad how vacant 18th and Vine is. We ate at Harper's last week for dinner, and while the food was great, the restaurant was empty the entire time we were there--a little unsettling.

Word is 18th and Vine is getting a patio of some sort that faces the Paseo and some super expensive new neon sign. Call it 'bling' or whatever, but I'm not sure that's the kind of thing that will bring people there.
Last edited by barkerr on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.