Apple's new hardware

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Apple's new hardware

Post by 49r »

Really strong discussion of "Apple's new hardware" today, guys!  Thanks! (&)

Thanks for pooping on the thread...everybody knows why Wintel fanboys prefer their platform...nobody cares much, however.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

it's nice to see apple finally stepping into the 1990's with their innovative mouse touch pad.

the glass aspect of it looks to be a pretty sweet upgrade over current surface technology, though.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

49r wrote: Really strong discussion of "Apple's new hardware" today, guys!  Thanks! (&)

Thanks for pooping on the thread...everybody knows why Wintel fanboys prefer their platform...nobody cares much, however.
Well as I explained I was wanting to get a Mac.  I do like what they do... but they're not meeting my needs yet.  They need a much broader range of laptops. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

ignatius wrote: Well as I explained I was wanting to get a Mac.  I do like what they do... but they're not meeting my needs yet.  They need a much broader range of laptops. 
Other than the 6 they currently offer?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

49r wrote: Really strong discussion of "Apple's new hardware" today, guys!  Thanks! (&)

More like Sparc/Solaris fanboys, but thanks for being a jerk about it.  :cry:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

ignatius wrote: I haven't had Vista issues ever since the Service Pack came out earlier this year.  Can't think of a single unstable or incompatibility issue - might depend on laptop model and the vendor drivers for it.   
The laptop itself probably is a factor, but after shelling out ~$1,900, I expect the vendor to have those problems ferreted out before they sell it to me. If they can't do that, then they need to take it up with Microsoft or go out of business.

Besides Vista itself, I'm also sick of Outlook, which frequently crashes or has the spinning blue circle for a minute or longer. All of that adds up to lost productivity, not to mention frustration. Considering that I speced the laptop with double Vista's minimum requirements, it should be performing much better.

The iMac, on the other hand, just works. Less than 30 seconds to boot up, compared to a couple of minutes with Vista. No anti-malware to bog down performance. Entourage fires right up and is ready to go, while Outlook dicks around for a minute or more. The iMac is just an all-around better user experience thus far, to the point that I dread having to work outside of the office because it means using the Vista machine.

It would take a lot to convince me to go back to Windows.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Windows definitely has a higher frustration factor for many compared to MacOS.  I just work around its weaknesses.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

As far as OS and UI go, Apple beats the crap out of Microsoft on every level.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Bleh... new fifteen inch MacBook Pros sure do look spiffy with their redesign, but only come with the glossy display. Matte is no longer an option. Sucks for photo editing from what I understand. Too bad because I was kinda hoping to get a MacBook Pro sometime next year when Intel's Nehalem processors come out and Apple releases Snow Leopard.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

new stuff today!  don't know what just yet, but probably includes imacs.

also, Apple released earnings results yesterday, with profits up 46% year over year.  they sold heaps of iphones and ipods, and mac sales were up 17%.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It will be really interesting to see how Apple responds to the coming storm of Android devices.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Though I like Apple's products, I don't own any. I can understand why they did so well as they did give some price breaks on their Mac products and also came out with the new 3GS and dropped the 3G to $99 to boost their sales. 

I am either going to upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new PC with Win7.  I think Microsoft's newest release will be a good move for them and allow us to finally get a nice, clean and even more user friendly OS for the PC/notebook/netbook market. 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

geeman68 wrote: Though I like Apple's products, I don't own any. I can understand why they did so well as they did give some price breaks on their Mac products and also came out with the new 3GS and dropped the 3G to $99 to boost their sales. 

I am either going to upgrade to Windows 7 or buy a new PC with Win7.  I think Microsoft's newest release will be a good move for them and allow us to finally get a nice, clean and even more user friendly OS for the PC/notebook/netbook market. 
Why not buy a mac and install Windows on it?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bbqboy wrote: Why not buy a mac and install Windows on it?
Why not just go out and set a pile of cash on your front step and wait for someone to come walk off with it?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

With that mindset, why don't I buy a great PC (hardware wise) and just load MacOS on it?  The problem there is Apple doesn't allow you to run their OS on non-MAC hardware. What kind of bullcrap is that?  I know people that setup PC's with MacOS and it works great and MUCH cheaper than buying a NAME.  Regardless, I am looking forward to Win 7 and will see how it holds up.  :P
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Because we're not FanBoys.  8)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I used to be a Mac developer back in the 80s, early 90s.  They have just become too proprietary.  I considered an Intel Macbook for my last laptop (to also run Windows/Linux on), but it had no HDMI.  Not enough options and overpriced.  Ability to run Windows helps though.

iPhone... also way too proprietary under authoritarian control.  I don't understand this idea that Apple controls what apps it can run.  Imagine if Microsoft controlled every app that could be installed (or if Apple did this with MacOS).  Apple has done a great job controlling the minds of their customers.  They have become the very authoritarian fascists (exaggeration, but not by much) that they chastised in the 1984 commercial.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ignatius wrote: I used to be a Mac developer back in the 80s, early 90s.  They have just become too proprietary.  I considered an Intel Macbook for my last laptop (to also run Windows/Linux on), but it had no HDMI.  Not enough options and overpriced.  Ability to run Windows helps though.
I believe Apple is one of the main backers of "Display Port" (The "Newest" connection idea  :roll:  ) which could be the reason as to why they fail when it comes to offering any device with a now-mainstrem HDMI port.  Apparently HDMI's 4 cent royalty fee is just tooooo much!

It is worth noting, that HDMI is an all around better product, and currently offers many more features than DisplayPort.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: I believe Apple is one of the main backers of "Display Port" (The "Newest" connection idea  :roll:  ) which could be the reason as to why they fail when it comes to offering any device with a now-mainstrem HDMI port.  Apparently HDMI's 4 cent royalty fee is just tooooo much!

It is worth noting, that HDMI is an all around better product, and currently offers many more features than DisplayPort.
The HDMI connector is non locking, which alone makes it unusable in military applications, and unreliable in commercial and residential installations. Plus you cannot field terminate and the distance limitations on HDMI are unacceptable for most commercial and residential installations. Dell moves way more Display Port than Apple and most of the commercial AV industry is ready to get away from HDMI. IMB has also thrown its weight behind Display port.

Other pluses for display port. Embedded clocking which will make transporting over Category cable much cheaper. Fiber support. Dual link for high pixel count images and mutli display support so you can split the signal between multiple monitors of different types without having to resolve EDID externally. However display port does lack some color depth that HDMI 1.4 has.