Apple's new hardware

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Apple's new hardware

Post by ignatius »

^iPhone has no user replaceable battery, no SD slot, no 3G, no GPS, voice quality sub par to some, very limited applications compared to PDA phones, some would prefer real keyboard.  But has amazing interface and web browser.  If the limitations don't matter to you, it's worth checking out.  If you want more flexibility, get a PDA phone with keyboard.
Joe KC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Joe KC »

Thx.  The web browser is what is attracting me, as well as the integration with a music player.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Also, remember that Apple notorious for updating products with no notice.  The iPhone is due for an update.  You might wait a month or two.

This site tracks lengths between other updates and projects when an update is due.  http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

kard wrote: Also, remember that Apple notorious for updating products with no notice.  The iPhone is due for an update.  You might wait a month or two.

This site tracks lengths between other updates and projects when an update is due.  http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone
The update came late last week and seems to be working great.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

mayor_of_waldo wrote: The update came late last week and seems to be working great.
A hardware upgrade, not a software one.  The next one will have 3G and will be out this year.  Who knows when, but I'd guess sooner rather than later. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Apple had its best quarter ever, and accordingly, the stock has plummeted in after hours trading.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

WoodDraw wrote: A hardware upgrade, not a software one.  The next one will have 3G and will be out this year.  Who knows when, but I'd guess sooner rather than later. 
I've heard possibly two updates this year, with 3G coming in 2008 Q4 or 2009.  The recent software update may have been the first of the two.  At any event 3G is worth waiting for if you plan to surf the web using your wireless data plan.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

ignatius wrote: ^iPhone has no user replaceable battery, no SD slot, no 3G, no GPS, voice quality sub par to some, very limited applications compared to PDA phones, some would prefer real keyboard.  But has amazing interface and web browser.  If the limitations don't matter to you, it's worth checking out.  If you want more flexibility, get a PDA phone with keyboard.
I still think the iphone is the most useful device I have ever owned. 3G will be here very soon. I don't really need an SD slot when I can just sync it to my laptop (plug it in) and add anything I want. I've been traveling quite a bit lately and actually look forward to watching movies and TV shows in widescreen (rotate the iphone horizontal), while flying. I have all of our latest TV commercials loaded to share with clients and crew which is way fun... The whole "sync" function is what makes it so nice. It really is like having a very small portable with you.

I have about 200 photos on it and about 500 songs. It actually has a form of locating you that's not GPS, but it uses cel towers to pinpoint your location. It has Google maps. We got lost in the scrub of OKC looking for a camera shop. We activated google maps and it took us right where we needed to go with turn by turn instructions. The wifi is great if you are in a hot spot, and it has an actual browser with Safari, It's plenty fast for me.

I've never been one to text or worry about email when on location, but now I find myself checking in because it's very easy to do and it's pretty painless. My big ol fingers do pretty well with the touchscreen typing. I can LOL with my teenage daughters.. (not cool)

I have EVERY contact that is in my company's master address book and can get to them by scrolling very quickly by "swiping" the touchscreen. And if you update someone's info at the iphone level it updates the master list on my laptop when I sync (plug in) it at night. (or whenever). Same with our master calendar.

It's just really really easy to access all of this stuff. And fun. Worth every penny and I'll more than likely update to the latest phone if they offer enough new stuff.
the only thing for sure is change.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... TVMMS4.DTL
    Apple Inc. is reportedly in talks to offer free access to its iTunes music library to customers who pay extra for an iPod or iPhone.

The Cupertino technology company is discussing a deal with the major record labels, but the negotiations hinge on how Apple and the music companies would share the revenue, the Financial Times reported.

Representatives for Apple, EMI, Sony BMG and Warner Music declined to comment Wednesday. A spokesman for Universal Music Group did not return phone calls.

If the plan is realized, Apple could charge a premium for iPods and iPhones in return for permission to download unlimited songs for free from iTunes.

Apple also is studying a plan, according to the paper, that would allow iPhone owners, who already are billed monthly for their cell phone services, to pay a regular subscription in exchange for unlimited access to its library, an arrangement that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has scoffed at in the past.
cont.....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

iphone 2.0 is expected in june, btw (3G!). i could see this being bundled with it.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

18 minutes!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I think it's time to spring for a new iPhone 3G.  Sounds amazing!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Apple is expected to be releasing redesigned MacBooks and MacBook Pros, with the announcement of a "media event" on Oct. 14.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/09/app ... ober-14th/

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Glass trackpads!  No more button!  Hotness!

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Want!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop and would consider a Mac (running Wintel/Linux mostly) but I'm really disappointed they still don't offer HDMI out as it also carries audio, which I use a lot from my current laptop to HDTV panel.  It's also disappointing the Air doesn't have nearly as many features as a Thinkpad X300 - the older X300 series totally annihilates the new Air in almost every feature category, and can even include WiMAX.  And Sony is still beating Apple for full featured multimedia laptops (HDMI, Bluray, flash slots, more USB, etc).  The Intel laptop makers will be offering the new Mac features soon - LED backlit display, glass multitouch pads, etc so it's not a game changer.

Lots of impressive things about the new Macs, but they need a broader product line.  A friend is getting one this week.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I switched from Mac to Windows in 1996 and switched back a couple of months ago. I love Windows XP, but Vista is such a piece of sh!t -- more unstable than Windows 95, in my experience -- that after about a year with my Gateway Vista laptop, I just gave up and bought an iMac. I've still got a Windows Mobile phone, though, and am actually getting ready to buy a new one. Until the iPhone has a real keyboard, it's not an option for me.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Do any Democrats not use Apple's??? Honest question.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I haven't had Vista issues ever since the Service Pack came out earlier this year.  Can't think of a single unstable or incompatibility issue - might depend on laptop model and the vendor drivers for it.  Wouldn't call myself a Vista fan though.  It's fine.  
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

NDTeve wrote: Do any Democrats not use Apple's??? Honest question.
Well Apple has less than 15% of the total computer market share yet in the US there are far more % of Dems.

BTW, I used to be a Mac developer in the 80s and early 90s and switched to the dark side when Win95 came out as I was able to build my own PC and do more specialty things.  Apple is too proprietary and limiting methinks, but is awesome when it comes to interface design and user friendliness.  I learned good human interface practices from the Apple model. 

It helped when they released Intel laptops than can also run Wintel.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It helped, but I'm still not going to buy one at that price point even though I heart OSX.
ignatius wrote: I haven't had Vista issues ever since the Service Pack came out earlier this year.  Can't think of a single unstable or incompatibility issue - might depend on laptop model and the vendor drivers for it.  Wouldn't call myself a Vista fan though.  It's fine.  
I don't particularly care for it, but I definitely don't find it less stable than XP.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin