Foundry at McCoy's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

Foundry at McCoy's

Post by WSPanic »

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 80262.html

Mention of the new McCoys restaurant opening in the old Vulcan's Forge space in between McCoys/Riot Room. I saw the menu at McCoys a few weeks ago, and it looked very good. The beer selection was top-notch - tons of Belgian beers.

I walked by on Saturday afternoon and it looked like they were getting ready to open - maybe a test night of some sort. I'm going to swing by tonight and see if it's open.

Based on the above description ("retro DJ Dive bar") - and the addition of Blanc - I like the direction Westport is headed.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Foundry at McCoy's

Post by ignatius »

Now if they could just get rid of that surface lot, maybe put an extended deck there.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

very cool.  i heart mccoy's.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It's good to hear they might be finally close to opening, with patio season in full swing.

I hope they continute the rule they started at one80, which prohibited McCoy's employees from applying for jobs at the new place.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

dangerboy wrote: It's good to hear they might be finally close to opening, with patio season in full swing.

I hope they continute the rule they started at one80, which prohibited McCoy's employees from applying for jobs at the new place.
I happened upon their server training one afternoon at McCoys. Definitely a few crossovers, but overall a new staff.

Management will be the same, so I'd expect some consistencies from McCoys service (which has been better over the past two years).

Much like McCoys - if the food and beer maintain a high level, I'll overlook whatever happens on the service side.

By the way - I think it was more of a "theory" than a "rule" when applied to McCoys and 180. There were three or four folks who I noticed working both.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I will definitely give it a try when it opens. I hope they get some creative draught selections in addition to bottles.
TagoMago
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TagoMago »

I went there on Saturday.  I didn't even realize it was open, just went to McCoys and wandered in to the new back room.  They have a really nice beer selection.  I had a great time.  They have those roll-up garage doors and a nice little patio area.  Westport seemed unusually slow for a Saturday.  I really enjoyed the fact that it wasn't packed.  The McCoys expansion is a nice addition to Westport.  (now if the market forces will just close America's Pub and Karma we could be headed in the right direction!)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Did they have beer on tap?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Went last night. They have about 25 beers on tap - As of now about 10 or 12 are McCoys - including a tap for cask beers (IPA now). Strong selection of Belgian Beers on tap (8 or 9).

I had four tap beers - Houblon Chouffe IPA - very tasty, Chimay Tripel, Hogaarden (sp?) wheat and some other strong beer - St Berdanos or something along those lines. Great bottle selection too.

The decor inside was very attractive. Definitely a retro thing going on with the lighting. Nice upstairs lounge area. Also had foosball and darts. The music was all 70's. The patio is great - as mentioned above, the garage doors are a nice touch.

The menu looks good - We had some tater tots and some delicious deep fried lil' smokies to munch on. Something for everyone on the menu - it was big.

House wines include Riunite on Ice (oh so nice), Mad Dog 20/20 and Boone's Strawberry Hill. Gotta love a place that doesn't take itself too seriously. They did have a limited wine list of real wines as well.

I see myself being a fan of this place.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Sounding good.  Everyone seems to be jumping on a better beer wagon.  Good news.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Everyone seems to be jumping on a better beer wagon. 
If only the flea market would jump on that bandwagon - what a waste to have ~20 taps with 10-11 different light lagers and 4-5 stouts?  Are there really significant factions out there that will come out to drink a Pilsner Urquell but not a Warsteiner?  We were in there the other day and I just sat there in bewilderment looking at their tap row - who the heck dreamed that selection up?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

so are they officially open now?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If only the flea market would jump on that bandwagon - what a waste to have ~20 taps with 10-11 different light lagers and 4-5 stouts?  Are there really significant factions out there that will come out to drink a Pilsner Urquell but not a Warsteiner?  We were in there the other day and I just sat there in bewilderment looking at their tap row - who the heck dreamed that selection up?
Their selection used to be much better, but yeah, now it's about as unimpressive as that many taps can be.

I look forward to trying the foundry.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Decent beer list...no, good beer list.  Patio is less pleasant than McCoy's, especially because the chairs are incredibly uncomfortable.

I did enjoy a Bernardus 12 very much, but the chairs would keep us all away.  Seems like such an easy mistake to avoid.

I looked around the inside though we didn't spend time there.

We didn't eaten, having previously satisfied ourselves at Blanc, which was excellent.  Very, very good burgers.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.foundrykc.com/home.cfm

checked out Foundry last night.  i thought it was really good.  the veggie burger is superior to mccoy's (i know!) and it has one of the better beer lists in town - all the usual suspects, lots of Belgians, McCoy's beers, etc.  i liked the patio a lot.  i didn't think the furniture was too uncomfortable, certainly not any worse than the metal chairs at mccoy's.  after an initial service snafu (confusion over whose section we were sitting in = 5 minutes of waiting) we received great service.

it is very much McCoys v.2 - good beer, good food, good prices.  definitely a welcome addition to westport. 
billybragg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by billybragg »

late night food! limited menu served from 11pm until 1:30am. apps are discounted to 5 and pizzas are 7. if you didn't like the food, you're a silly human being. try the skillet tots, beer pretzels, or the tuffskins. you will pee your pants at their deliciousnesses.

weekly specials:
sunday-thursday late night happy hour 10-close ($2 mccoys beers)

sunday - $3 bloody mary's and mimosas

monday - $6 pitchers mccoy's beers

tuesday - $2.50 pints of mccoy's beers

wednesday - $2 black and tans

thursday - $6 martinis (all of em!)

happy hour 3-6 monday through friday $1 off pints and wells

they also serve pitchers of jungle juice and fishbowls. hell yes!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Are you not at FS anymore?
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

Maybe we tried it on an off night, but our service royally sucked.  The food was kinda mediocre, but the beer list was impressive, so I will probably try it again (perhaps just for drinking)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That was pretty much my experience. Food nothing to rave about, service was average, beer list was decent but nothing over the top crazy good. Still, it was better than many alternatives and I would be much more likely to have gone back since our first visit if it hadn't been for the headache-inducing flashing lights everywhere.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows