OFFICIAL - East Village

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: East Village downtown neighborhood

Post by NDTeve »

moderne wrote: I dunno, Swope has done miraculous things on Blue Parkway where once it was a perenially flooded semi industrial ghetto dump.
Oh...you mean those stores that no-one goes to?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: THAT is why this project is dying. Why should it matter is they're local or minority?
Doesn't sound like Swope is necessarily the problem.  I think they are/were still on board with holding up their end.  Its Sherman that is leaving us all high and dry - and no surprise, they were holding the bag on the residential part wich I am sure is the hardest economic case to make these days. 
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The economics for well done new construction housing in the downtown market are very tough.  Even with subsidy it is a challange.  Why do you think there are no new apartment buildings or towers going up?  Perhaps they could slap up some suburban style 3-story junk and make it work, but these need to be a positive addition to the downtown landscape.
I am sure Sherman saw that their risk to profit ratio just didn't work.   
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

KCTigerFan wrote: The economics for well done new construction housing in the downtown market are very tough.  Even with subsidy it is a challange.  Why do you think there are no new apartment buildings or towers going up?  Perhaps they could slap up some suburban style 3-story junk and make it work, but these need to be a positive addition to the downtown landscape.
I am sure Sherman saw that their risk to profit ratio just didn't work.     
I am encouraged to see that we got to the truth of the matter pretty quickly without resorting to references to Funkhouser vs Barnes and pro-/anti-development city leaders. I totally agree that it's disheartening to see many projects like this stumble and eventually fall apart, but there are some hard economic realities that they are hitting up against. Namely, that there is virtually no demand for new residential construction in downtown KC. It's not Funkhouser holding off the stampeding hordes of new residents as some on here would like us to believe.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

eliphar17 wrote: Namely, that there is virtually no demand for new residential construction in downtown KC.
Source?

It was just explained that the cost of new, urban construction is preventing development of housing units. Developing cheap housing in Lenexa or Independence is cheaper than in the CBD. From everything I've heard there is demand for "affordable" rental units downtown. 
Last edited by trailerkid on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

So what is currently being built?  GSA? JE Dunn?? Other??
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

im2kull wrote: So what is currently being built?  GSA? JE Dunn?? Other??
Dunn.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

im2kull wrote: So what is currently being built?  GSA? JE Dunn?? Other??
Has there been any news about GSA lately?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've heard nothing about GSA recently.
There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: I've heard nothing about GSA recently.
i sifted through the last few pages and gave up. seems like it's been at least fall since we heard a peep from them? maybe they are waiting to see what happens with light rail?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

As I recall, the GSA said some months ago that they would render a decision in November.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think the new RFP/RFQ is due sometime in October, and they plan to make a decision around May.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Swope says breakup with Sherman won't affect development of the East Village.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... l?ana=e_ph
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

FangKC wrote: Swope says breakup with Sherman won't affect development of the East Village.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... l?ana=e_ph
So, who here has any opinions on a developer that they would like to see take the place of Sherman? If you could redesign the development plan; what would you like to see?  I personally have a vested interest in seeing this area develop myself, since I live in The Met. Anyone else on here lives either at The Met or Manhattan?  What are your thoughts?
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Pork Chop wrote: So, who here has any opinions on a developer that they would like to see take the place of Sherman? If you could redesign the development plan; what would you like to see?  I personally have a vested interest in seeing this area develop myself, since I live in The Met. Anyone else on here lives either at The Met or Manhattan?  What are your thoughts?
I'm moving into the Manhattan next week.  Yes, the Met/Manhattan/View cluster is an island of residential in an ocean of retail desolation and more population over there would help to jump start the neighborhood and scare away the shady characters that lurk just a block or so south of the cluster day and night.  While those three buildings provide a nice number of units all in one block, it will probably take a little more population in the neighborhood to support even some basic retail like a corner shop type place, which would be a nice start...
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Gretz wrote: ... a corner shop type place, which would be a nice start...
What's wrong with the Valero station? Perhaps it's not "Metro" enough for you? &&&
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

The Valero is not a "corner shop".  :P
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

I have to say that after living in the Met for a year, there are a lot less shady characters now. I know it 's only been a couple of weeks, but how do you like living in the Manhattan?
Gretz wrote: I'm moving into the Manhattan next week.  Yes, the Met/Manhattan/View cluster is an island of residential in an ocean of retail desolation and more population over there would help to jump start the neighborhood and scare away the shady characters that lurk just a block or so south of the cluster day and night.  While those three buildings provide a nice number of units all in one block, it will probably take a little more population in the neighborhood to support even some basic retail like a corner shop type place, which would be a nice start...
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

It thought part of the "East Village" plan was to tear down this gas station?
taxi wrote: What's wrong with the Valero station? Perhaps it's not "Metro" enough for you? &&&
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, the Valero station is supposed to be demolished--eventually.