OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by Gretz »

Well, they think I was visiting from Urich, MO the couple of times I've been there if scanning driver's licenses is the methodology.  Could someone with access to the full article breakdown the rest of the visitor stats?  I'll bet a LOT of people that actually live in the KC area have Springfield/STL/butt-fuck MO/KS/OK/NE (like me) on their licenses still, so don't know how accurate the study is but probably gives some good general ideas if taken with a grain of salt.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The study only broke down Kansas because MO doesn't have county idents.

But the same stats that are in the E edition are online:

From Missouri: 542, or 54.2 percent
From Johnson County: 298, or 29.8 percent
Other Kansas counties: 96, or 9.6 percent
(The top five Kansas counties represented were Wyandotte, 29; Douglas, 14; Shawnee, 13; Leavenworth, 10; and Sedgwick, 7)
Other states: 64, or 6.4 percent
(The top five states represented were Iowa, 11; Nebraska, 8; Oklahoma, 6; Illinois, 5; and Texas, 4)

Not sure why it's so hard to believe.  I would also bet that the vast majority of the MO cars are from outside the urban core, mostly from the Northland, LS etc and the rest from outstate/urban core.

But I sure wouldn't put any money on this study.  The only way to really do a study is to poll people as they come in.  What if JOers are more likely to park in a cordish garage for instance?  There is also far more MO workers downtown than KS so many of them might just walk to the district and leave their car in their garage, where most JoCo people have to drive down and park.  Many people familiar with the city such as urbanites may not park in the cordish garages, but on the streets etc.

Regardless, JoCo is a sizable part of the metro.  They tend to rep 25-40% of the crowd at any area event or attraction.
Last edited by GRID on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: The study only broke down Kansas because MO doesn't have county idents.

But the same stats that are in the E edition are online:

From Missouri: 542, or 54.2 percent
From Johnson County: 298, or 29.8 percent
Other Kansas counties: 96, or 9.6 percent
(The top five Kansas counties represented were Wyandotte, 29; Douglas, 14; Shawnee, 13; Leavenworth, 10; and Sedgwick, 7)
Other states: 64, or 6.4 percent
(The top five states represented were Iowa, 11; Nebraska, 8; Oklahoma, 6; Illinois, 5; and Texas, 4)

Not sure why it's so hard to believe.  I would also bet that the vast majority of the MO cars are from outside the urban core, mostly from the Northland, LS etc and the rest from outstate/urban core.

But I sure wouldn't put any money on this study.  The only way to really do a study is to poll people as they come in.  What if JOers are more likely to park in a cordish garage for instance?  There is also far more MO workers downtown than KS so many of them might just walk to the district and leave their car in their garage, where most JoCo people have to drive down and park.  Many people familiar with the city such as urbanites may not park in the cordish garages, but on the streets etc.

Regardless, JoCo is a sizable part of the metro.  They tend to rep 25-40% of the crowd at any area event or attraction.
JoCo = 25% of the P+L crowds and 90% of the metro d-bag crowds.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry TK, I was thinking of another article in the Pitch that mentioned the scanning of DL captured basic demographic info....my bad.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

KCTigerFan wrote: The ballards that the city installed (in front of Sprint Center) are already destroyed.  They will never be used again.  The secomnd time used a truck crushed the mechanism.
It appeared to me today that construction crews had completely jack-hammered-up the pavment all around the bollards near the SW corner of 13th and Grand.  Is a fix on the way?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Current issue of Missouri Life has article on P&L with some nice photos.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Maybe this was mentioned but did they scrap the idea of having the Live stage be a fountain/waterfall?  I thought water was supposed to cascade over the stage.  It looks unfinished underneath where the water would have pooled and collected.
Don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I noticed last night that the stage was indeed functioning as a fountain in the Live district, FYI
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

49r wrote: Don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I noticed last night that the stage was indeed functioning as a fountain in the Live district, FYI
First I've heard of it!  Good news.  I hate when budget cuts out things like this, I'm glad it's running.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

PumpkinStalker wrote: First I've heard of it!  Good news.  I hate when budget cuts out things like this, I'm glad it's running.
Photo/photos please!!!  :lol:
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Anyone know if anyone is playing at the P&L tonight?
KC12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC12 »

kuslamb wrote: Anyone know if anyone is playing at the P&L tonight?
July 30, 2008

MILLER LITE'S ROCK THE BLOCK PRESENTS THE LEO PROJECT
http://www.theleoproject.com/

Miller Lite presents the THE LEO PROJECT  in the Miller Lite Rock the Block concert series at KC Live! Concert begins at 8 pm and doors open at 5 pm. No professional cameras, video cameras, lawn chairs, blankets or outside food are allowed. Must be 21 and older to attend. This is not a ticketed event.

FREE ADMISSION - SHOW STARTS @ 8 PM - DOORS OPEN @ 5 PM - MUST BE 21+
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Joyce Smith

Cordish Co., developer of the Kansas City Power & Light District, originally told the city it had several retail-type tenants for “Block 124,” including a book and music store, furniture and design center, jewelry store, designer cosmetics, boutique designer shoes, optical fashion and upscale women’s accessories. Jos. A. Bank, a men’s clothing store, had been scheduled to open in fall 2007. Jos. A. Bank did not return phone calls.

Jon Stephens, spokesman for Cordish, said the majority of the shell construction has been completed, but he would not comment on specific spaces except to say that Jos. A. Bank still planned to open in the district.

“We are over 90 percent leased, and interest in the district is continuing to stay very high both locally and nationally,” Stephens said. “You will continue to see announcements of tenants as they get closer to their opening dates.”
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yes, 90% leased....except the 10% that comprises the retail block.  :x
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Let them get the AMC Mainstreet, Midland by AMC, Cosentinos/24 Hour Fitness up and running and I think the retail block will spring into action.  At least, I'm sure hoping some nice, unique and worthwhile establishments go in once things start happening over there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

geeman68 wrote: Let them get the AMC Mainstreet, Midland by AMC, Cosentinos/24 Hour Fitness up and running and I think the retail block will spring into action.  At least, I'm sure hoping some nice, unique and worthwhile establishments go in once things start happening over there.
fine. why don't they just come out and say that's the hold up? sure, it's obvious... but the lack of candor is ingratiating, considering the high stakes.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I went last Friday to the P&L clubs for the first time with some friends from work. It was almost all white people and they were blairing country music over loud speakers in the courtyard almost as if they were intentially trying to drive minorities out of the district.

Went in Howl at the Moon. It was all white people so of course it was Lame.

Went in Tengo Sed and guess what the DJ was playing? Country music. And three of the songs we had just heard in the courtyard before coming in. WTF?

L-A-M-E

I wasn't about to stand in line the whole night to get into Mossiac or Makers Mark but I'm sure they were probably lame as well.

Perhaps power and light was desinged for rural "club tourists" to come into the big city to spend their money. I don't know.

But I think us city folk should stick to Westport.
Last edited by justin8216 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

justin8216 wrote: It was all white people so of course it was Lame.

Racist.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

scooterj wrote:
Racist.
yea that was racist or at least a racist way to put it.  but to his point who wants to go somewhere where there is absolutely no cultural diversity?  kansas city is a diverse city and the P&L does not cater to any culture but the one that they want to come to the district and there is no possible argument about that.  justin is just too ignorant use the right words.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

justin8216 wrote: I went last Friday to the P&L clubs for the first time with some friends from work. It was almost all white people and they were blairing country music over loud speakers in the courtyard almost as if they were intentially trying to drive minorities out of the district.

Went in Howl at the Moon. It was all white people so of course it was Lame.

Went in Tengo Sed and guess what the DJ was playing? Country music. And three of the songs we had just heard in the courtyard before coming in. WTF?

L-A-M-E

I wasn't about to stand in line the whole night to get into Mossiac or Makers Mark but I'm sure they were probably lame as well.

Perhaps power and light was desinged for rural "club tourists" to come into the big city to spend their money. I don't know.

But I think us city folk should stick to Westport.
city folk?  Don't you live in Piper?

I'm shocked you thought it was lame....seems all those people creating those lines don't agree with you but to each his own.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

justin8216 wrote: I went last Friday to the P&L clubs for the first time with some friends from work. It was almost all white people and they were blairing country music over loud speakers in the courtyard almost as if they were intentially trying to drive minorities out of the district.

That's unfortunate. I'm surprised they'd be playing country music, seeing as the clientele for this district is typically striped shirt d-bags and gold diggers who tend to dig Kanye West and other pop-ish rap/rock.

I haven't been to the P&L since March. Are the crowds still coming out in full force?