Belgium Brewer Prepares to Bid for Anheuser-Busch

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Belgium Brewer Prepares to Bid for Anheuser-Busch

Post by trailerkid »

LindseyLohan wrote: Who drinks bud anyway? Not anyone I know...
Cosign...give it 15 years and watch the Bud/Bud Lite market continue to shrink. One after another people are starting to realize Coors/Bud/Miller only belong in games of flip-cup or on alcohol binges.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

trailerkid wrote: Cosign...give it 15 years and watch the Bud/Bud Lite market continue to shrink. One after another people are starting to realize Coors/Bud/Miller only belong in games of flip-cup or on alcohol binges.
I think it's remarkable that the big brewers have maintained as much of the market as they have given the onslaught of breweries that have emerged around the country.  I particularly dislike budweiser products but hate to see St Louis lose a major HQ.  On the other hand, lot's of European brands over here that are thought of as local icons reveal upon closer inspection that their makers are owned by Kraft, Pillsbury or some other American food conglomerate
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Boulevard is now the largest American owned brewery in Missouri.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

LindseyLohan wrote: Who drinks bud anyway? Not anyone I know...
I drink it when I tailgate for football games. Cheap beer like that is the best when you're consuming large quantities...so I think Bud will always have control of that market (ie college binge drinking).

Also, yesterday I had a Budweiser at Houlihans. Occasionally a Bud is nice to have...a change of pace from Sierra Nevada or Boulevard.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

KCMax wrote: Boulevard is now the largest American owned brewery in Missouri.
First off, the deal is not complete. It won't be until the end of the year - according to reports.

And what's your source?
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

kcmetro wrote: I drink it when I tailgate for football games. Cheap beer like that is the best when you're consuming large quantities...so I think Bud will always have control of that market (ie college binge drinking).
Encourage fun drinking games to entice the younger demographic , and you'll have em hooked for life...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Louman wrote: First off, the deal is not complete. It won't be until the end of the year - according to reports.
So, what's the impact on employment/HQ in St. Louis and the current line of beers?  Afterall, these guys didn't purchase AB (assuming the deal goes through) to repackage it as a Belgian beer, they bought it to get a foothold in the US beer market.  Seems like very little will actually change for AB except the pentultimate decisions will be made in Brussels. 
ntbpo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ntbpo »

Highlander wrote: So, what's the impact on employment/HQ in St. Louis and the current line of beers?  Afterall, these guys didn't purchase AB (assuming the deal goes through) to repackage it as a Belgian beer, they bought it to get a foothold in the US beer market.  Seems like very little will actually change for AB except the pentultimate decisions will be made in Brussels. 
There is talk here in STL that Mayor Slay and the Senators Bond and McCaskill are preparing a package to entice AB Inbev to make STL their global HQ. After all this is a Belgian brewer that is run by Brazilians; and Carlos Brito and his partners are notorious for cost cutting measures to maximize profits for their company. There appears to be little to no loyalty toward Brussels by the board of directors so it has been brought to everyone's attention that the cost of living in STL is 24% lower compared to Brussels; so that is an extreme savings when you are dealing with a multi-billion dollar opeation. The combination of these two companies has created one of the worlds top 5 consumer goods companies. If they could get them to relocate the global headquarters as opposed to just the North American HQ it would be big.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

warwickland, I swear I'm not being an ass about this, but aren't Lemp and Greisedeck Bros owned/brewed somewhere other than StL?  I thought the old names/brands were licensed for use by other brewers, or at least that was how it appeared when I bought a sixer of GDB Golden Pilsner at a Dierbergs last weekend...brewed in Wisconsin somewhere?  I've always enjoyed a cold GDB draft and people watching at Riddle's on a hot summer night, so I always associated it with StL, and was disappointed to learn that it was brewed elsewhere, along with Lemp.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Oh and a question, is Lemp still the original recipe, wherever it may or may not be brewed?  It's got quite the history.
are we spinning free?