Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
medleyj
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by medleyj »

rxlexi wrote:   I think he was trying to make the point that Bo Lings is a little higher rent than the typical City Market square, counter-top type place.  I disagree, however, and I think Bo Lings adds a much needed component to the market itself as well as the neighborhood around it.
That is exactly what I'm saying. The real test will be if Bo Lings is still there a year from now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I noticed today that foundations have been poured for the One Wyandotte apartments in the old Kansas City Southern Milepost One yard.
There is no fifth destination.
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

Fang is back!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: I noticed today that foundations have been poured for the One Wyandotte apartments in the old Kansas City Southern Milepost One yard.
i was beginning to wonder if that project was going to get moving now that rentals are hot again!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: i was beginning to wonder if that project was going to get moving now that rentals are hot again!
They have been moving like banshees for over two months now.  Anyone who enjoys construction ought to watch this team move dirt!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: They have been moving like banshees for over two months now.  Anyone who enjoys construction ought to watch this team move dirt!
i want a web cam!!!!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You can see the foundations when you drive north over the Broadway Bridge.
There is no fifth destination.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

loftguy wrote: They have been moving like banshees for over two months now.  Anyone who enjoys construction ought to watch this team move dirt!

And the true sign of progress is that now they are moving dirt IN instead of OUT.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Anyone know what's going into 412 Delaware where Bella was going to go? The for lease sign is gone and there's construction inside.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
Butterflies
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Butterflies »

from what i heard this evening its gonna be another furniture store  :shock:
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

from what i heard this evening its gonna be another furniture store
wow, whoever is in charge of leasing along Delaware St. needs to get a grip before they've sucked all the life out of it.  I don't know that there is any other stretch in KC that is so ripe for a few interesting neighborhood haunts, a great local bar, or whatever.  It's one of the great commercial streets in the metro, after all, and is already truly mixed use.
are we spinning free?
Butterflies
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Butterflies »

"Delaware St. needs to get a grip before they've sucked all the life out of it...It's one of the great commercial streets in the metro, after all, and is already truly mixed use..."

I couldn't agree more except to add Delaware St. is one of the most beautiful four blocks to be found anywhere...from the river to 5th St.

its about money or the lack of it...regrettably much of the landscaping and infrastructure has fallen off in recent years...the investors now lack a clear vision for the street; cooperation in its maintenance and beautification, etc.

despite the best attempts to convey high density numbers in the area residents know this really isn't true...the money will not invest in the area to the degree found in eastern cities because there aren't the numbers of residents to support the investments...

lastly, development in downtown is highly contrasted by the development in the suburbs where the same amenities are available - including some not available downtown - and people are in a hurry to return home after working in the area where their lives and children are waiting for them
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Butterflies wrote: despite the best attempts to convey high density numbers in the area residents know this really isn't true...the money will not invest in the area to the degree found in eastern cities because there aren't the numbers of residents to support the investments...
Milepost Zero, which has a building frame that has topped off by my estimation, will do a great deal to increase density in the neighborhood. All of the here-and-there construction is filling in gaps quite nicely. The River Market should start to grow into its britches.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

rxlexi wrote: I don't know that there is any other stretch in KC that is so ripe for a few interesting neighborhood haunts, a great local bar, or whatever.  It's one of the great commercial streets in the metro, after all, and is already truly mixed use.
Man, no doubt.  I'm not in River Market too often, and I usually forget about this stretch, just off the square, but I was down there the other day for lunch at Delware Cafe, and it's really a tremendous street.  Beautiful buildings, landscaping, etc.  I just wish it were as bustling as it ought to be.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It was bustling and full of people 35 years ago.  The view looking south on Delaware is one of my favorites.  The 19th century buildings and tree lined streets in the foreground and the skyscrapers in the background are made even more interesting with the street grid north of the freeway at an angle not north south as it is from the freeway and south.
Butterflies
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Butterflies »

the River Market after 7:00 in the evenings isn't busy at all...despite the development filling in the pockets - which I support - this isn't going to change the fact that its a place where people work during the day & sleep at night...the merchants in the area have all conveyed to me that business is down even from the low levels it was prior to the P&L and the economic slowdown...the River Market is a cozy neighborhood in set in the urban landscape with wonderfull amenities for those living there...just the way I like it...
CrimsonInKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CrimsonInKC »

rxlexi wrote: wow, whoever is in charge of leasing along Delaware St. needs to get a grip before they've sucked all the life out of it.  I don't know that there is any other stretch in KC that is so ripe for a few interesting neighborhood haunts, a great local bar, or whatever.  It's one of the great commercial streets in the metro, after all, and is already truly mixed use.
Ditto. I used to live close to this street. A lot of potential.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

rxlexi wrote: wow, whoever is in charge of leasing along Delaware St. needs to get a grip before they've sucked all the life out of it.  I don't know that there is any other stretch in KC that is so ripe for a few interesting neighborhood haunts, a great local bar, or whatever.  It's one of the great commercial streets in the metro, after all, and is already truly mixed use.
That space has been unleased for more than 2 years. What's the problem with a furniture store? There's already 2 restaurants/bars, hair salon, coffeeshop and art gallery. You have a problem with retail? At least it's not another lawyer's office.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
CrimsonInKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CrimsonInKC »

what does a noob have to do to start a new thread around here?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

CrimsonInKC wrote: what does a noob have to do to start a new thread around here?
i think you have to have 10 posts.