Armour Theater

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Armour Theater

Post by DaveKCMO »

we have our tickets for thursday!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Got my tickets for Friday.  Gotta admit, I am very excited for this theater, as well as the movie!
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

DaveKCMO wrote: we have our tickets for thursday!
How was the theater?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kucer wrote: How was the theater?
most excellent! especially the sound! i'll post pictures soon.

full bar and a decent food menu. i think it's open for brunch on sat/sun.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Saw Indy there this afternoon.  Fantastic restoration of the theater.  The murals on either side are top notch and represent the history of KC well.  Was impressed with the deco hints and borderline Thomas Hart Benton tones w/out emulating him.  The bar is comfortable enough to be a neighborhood bar on its own, with bartenders that actually have personality.

Anyone notice that the mechanical guy is sportin a major woody?

Was unfortunate that the movie turned out to be cartoonish, but I wasn't expecting much.  The first one was an adventure, the others didn't have the right formula of movie extravaganza escapism. 

Based on the previews, it looks like they plan on showing more major films rather than indie.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

btw, according to butch the only things that are original are the sconces. everything else is new or recreated.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We went Friday and had a wonderful experience.  I was surprised that nothing was left of the original theater, except as Dave mentioned the sconces.  Even the plaster molding around the screen was new, cast and hand painted.  Roscoe was pretty neat.  Butch came out and talked to the audience for 10 minutes which was a pleasant addition.  The crowd seemed very excited.  I would say that when Butch asked the audience who had been to the theater when it was originally opened, about 20-30 people raised their hands.  When asked how many had been to Screenland Crossroads, about 150 probably raised their hands.  When asked who had been to Screenland Granada, about 10 raised their hands (I was proud to be one of those, having been to two different movies there while they were still showing feature films).  I was expecting more original restoration work, but was quite happy with the effort put into this place.  The murals were fantastic and definitely added a nostalgic flashback component.  Sorry the pic is blurry.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yeah, I guess it shouldn't be called a 'restoration' or even a rehab.  It's a complete major upgrade.  The doors to the restrooms also have cool deco-ness to them BTW.

They do have breakfast BTW.  I think they have 10AM shows, but maybe just on weekends.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That marquee is way cool. Thanks for the pics.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Belle the dog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belle the dog »

Armour Theater is very nice.  From the moment I walked in the door, I was impressed.  Screenland made the Armour into what movie houses used to be: an event.  Staff is very pleasant and enjoys talking with customers.  I will definitely return to the Armour to see movies.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Been here twice, once on a Saturday evening, and once Sunday matinee.  Place only had a few dozen customers.  Won't last long unless business gets better.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: Been here twice, once on a Saturday evening, and once Sunday matinee.  Place only had a few dozen customers.  Won't last long unless business gets better.
i suspect they'll just go to weekend-only showings and perhaps rotate the selection a little more often.
derekhinton2003
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by derekhinton2003 »

Heya all been reading the forum to stay on the up and up for a couple years now mainly for food recomendations  :lol:

I'm the assistant manager for this theater so any questions you may have I can answer. Hope everyone has their tickets for the midnight opening of batman, it looks like it's gonna be a good one.

Luckily i'll get a chance to watch it tomarrow evening.  8)

I'm going to talk with my GM here and see if we can't get KCRag forum members some special deals, be seeing you!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

That would be awesome!  Thanks!
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Do you ever have adults only showings, no one under the age of 21?  Also, can you take bar beverages to your seat?
derekhinton2003
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

At this point we are all ages for all showings, all though from my experience if you come to a late show on friday or saturday then next to no "kids" show up to these shows I think we have had maybe 4 come to the late show since we opened. Also yes you can take beverages to your seat including bottled beer, wine by the glass or bottle, as well as mixed drinks and food. Pretty much if we sell it you can take it into the theater with you.
derekhinton2003
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Great News Folks!!! Mention that you are a member of the kc rag forum and get discounted rate of 6 dollars for all showings. Simply mention that your a member when purchasing tickets from the window and leave your screen name to recieve the discount. Hope to see you all soon! Tropic Thunder is pretty funny!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Awesome news!  Might go this weekend.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Very nice. Does the discount apply only to the poster? Or say, if I brought my girlfriend & a buddy, do we all get in for 6 bucks each?