Smash & Grab

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Smash & Grab

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ComandanteCero wrote: sometimes this stuff happens even without leaving something inside, i had my passenger side window smashed without having anything in there (when i lived in St. Louis).  Nothing was taken because i had nothing in the car.... i was mystified as to why in the world someone would be such a dick as to smash the window before checking to see if there was something they wanted in the first place.

My guess is they popped open the glove compartment hoping to find something.... but i didn't have anything there either.  So i just ended up with 300 dollars worth of glass to replace  :x
Yeah, you can't take it for granted that the idiots know what they are doing.  I had a car stereo stolen years ago.  I had figured that most street hoods would be savey enough to recognize it for the cheap piece of wal mart crap with zero resale value it was and leave it be - apparently not.  You have to avoid even the appearance of there being anything there.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

elextendo wrote: Im curious how many are reported to the police or insurance..This would answser  the question for more cops on the beat..THEY NEED TO BE REPORTED
Absolutely.  No matter how trivial, every property crime needs to be logged in with KCPD.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: You have to avoid even the appearance of there being anything there.
One of my friends used to live over near KCAI. He eventually put a sign in his car window in an attempt to keep people from breaking in. It read something like "Attention crackheads! All valuables have been removed from this car. There's nothing in here for you!"

It either worked really well or it was just a coincidence that they stopped breaking in.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

drumatix wrote: One of my friends used to live over near KCAI. He eventually put a sign in his car window in an attempt to keep people from breaking in. It read something like "Attention crackheads! All valuables have been removed from this car. There's nothing in here for you!"

It either worked really well or it was just a coincidence that they stopped breaking in.
I have a friend who used to live in the river market and at the time he drove a big ol' american beater car.  It got stollen three times over the like two years he lived there.  Apparently the local crackheads weren't clever enough to break into and hotwire more modern vehicles. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sounds like we have some very curteous muggers:

English tourist reports being robbed in KCA robber held up a tourist early today at 17th Street and Grand Boulevard in Kansas City.

The victim, a 25-year-old man from England, told police he was at the corner about 1:30 a.m. when a man came up from behind, grabbed him and demanded his wallet. The victim asked the robber if he could have his wallet back, so he could keep his identification. The robber took about $100 and handed the wallet back.

The robber ran south on Walnut Street. Police gave the victim a ride back to his hotel.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

dangerboy wrote: Are you serious? 
Yes, why should it not be so?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

voltopt wrote: get away from the suburban yahoos who were driving the wrong way down Walnut every night and drunkenly yelling and fighting.  \
Man no doubt...sitting outside JP, it's amazing how many cars blow through their the wrong way...they need to put up the spike strips at Truman
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

nota wrote: Yes, why should it not be so?
Life "should be" lots of things - but sometimes we have to plan for how it actually is.  Leaving a laptop in the backseat of my car isn't going to go very far in terms of righting all of America's social wrongs.  
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Don't forget to take the holder part of your GPS out of the windshield.

I've seen guys coveting them in parking lots more than once.

I always make a lot of noise walking up to my car so they know they were observed.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Life "should be" lots of things - but sometimes we have to plan for how it actually is.  Leaving a laptop in the backseat of my car isn't going to go very far in terms of righting all of America's social wrongs.  
I'm not saying you aren't right. Just saying not to blame the victim for something that is not totally their fault.

I've never even left my laptop unattended in a library.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If a potential victim of a petty crime can do something as simple as putting their valuables out of sight, I do put some of the blame on them for not doing that simple task.  Of course the issue is still the thief, but it's pretty simple to hide those valuables, so doing so is a reasonable expectation for someone to not be a victim of a crime (IMO), just like not walking anywhere alone, putting on a seatbelt, locking your front door, etc.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The GF and I interrupted some folks that were pretty clearly casing the parking lot a couple weeks ago.  We were just getting in from the airport late and were getting our bags out of the trunk when this old beater truck comes peeling into the lot from the back alley - it had three sketchy looking mullets in the cab who pulled up right behind our car and gave us the stare down before they peeled back out.  I toyed with whether I ought to report it or not since they didn't actually follow through with doing anything and I didn't know whether the PD would actually do anything with the description.  
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I had my car broken into twice downtown at 7th & Grand back in 2002.  I didn't lose anything of value; just had to replace my window twice, which was annoying.  That and driving back home sitting on a seat full of glass.  There doesn't have to be anything of value for them to bust the window of your car.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

WSPanic wrote: I blame the victims because they put themselves in a position to be victims - and then start crying when someone turns them into a victim.
So a sexy young thing wearing a sexy outfit walks into a bar and after spending some time there walks away and then raped it is then somehow her fault?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCgrammarhawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCgrammarhawk »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: So a sexy young thing wearing a sexy outfit walks into a bar and after spending some time there walks away and then raped it is then somehow her fault?
Seriously?
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

nota wrote: if parents had taught their children right from wrong.

nota wrote: It's their fault for their actions and no one else's.
So which is it; the parents fault, or the perps alone?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Some tit parked his SUV on my street last week with a $400 GPS device in plain sight. I felt like leaving him a note, but my thought trailed off and i went to bed. But it's crap like that that attracts thieves and car-shoppers to a particular area.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

It is what it is. If I walk into a yard and a dog bites me what do I do? I learn from my mistakes and move on, do I blame the dog? No, it is what it is.
What did Bush say? Fool me one shame on you fool me twice same on you?
Crime is everywhere if you don't like don't go there, don't live there, this is America the choice is yours, you can bitch, move or stay away.
KCgrammarhawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCgrammarhawk »

butter_breath wrote: What did Bush say? Fool me one shame on you fool me twice same on you?
Yes, verbatim.  Just get out your Bartlett's, look up "Bush" and there it is along with myriad other phrases he has coined.  Prez is quite the wordsmith.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

KCgrammarhawk wrote: Yes, verbatim.  Just get out your Bartlett's, look up "Bush" and there it is along with myriad other phrases he has coined.  Prez is quite the wordsmith.
I'll get right on that, right there. I looked up grammarhawk on Wikipedia it said "see butthawk"