OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by geeman68 »

I've had the Instinct since 6-19 and thus far I actually like it very much.  Its not an iPhone and I think that is a great phone especially for the people out there that are big iPod users but I think the Instinct is a very good touch screen phone for the Sprint network.  The call quality is good and I find the visual voicemail and other phone and messaging features easy to use.  Music sounds good and I just ordered an 8 GB micro SD card so that will be handy even though I'll probably never use all that space unless I turn into a complete video nut.  Photos look ok on the screen and the camera does a decent job.  Some of the games are fun and I love the GPS part.  Took that on a spin over the weekend and it worked like a champ. 

All in all, I think its a good start and hopefully Samsung/Sprint will release software updates to make it even better.  I've been a happy customer of Sprint's for nearly 10 years now.  Probably one of the few happy ones.  :lol:  I'm glad I am able to support a local company and hope they bring up the quality of their phones and of course their customer service.  The iPhone is great but for me, the Instinct is just the thing to keep me happy.  Cheers!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

At least they could have used the right photo of the district.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Dang the p&l was busy last night (sat night). I noticed a ton of STL people in town for the game that came to visit and they all appeared to be having a good time and enjoying the place. All the places I went it was almost literally asshole to elbow, it was so crowded.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

My part of town was hopping with the St. Louis crowd, too, so I'm not surprised.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

The Raglan Road bartenders are the worst bartenders I have ever seen.  Terrible service, slow, unattentive, rude. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Maybe this was mentioned but did they scrap the idea of having the Live stage be a fountain/waterfall?  I thought water was supposed to cascade over the stage.  It looks unfinished underneath where the water would have pooled and collected.
ntbpo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ntbpo »

:shock:  Went to P&L last two nights while I was in town for the Cards game, awesome development! If they were able to construct some residential towers it would be even better. I very much like how they had the ballgame on the Jumbotron with the sound on, very cool experience-also wound up down the street at bazookas-also very nice.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeah, the res towers are planned for later phases (i.e if the market allows for it).  The way the economy is right now, i'm guessing we won't see those residential phases for a couple of years.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Well there are lots of condos not too far from P&L.  The condo market under $400-500K appears to be moving well.  New hirise condos would likely require >$500K units, which is crawling slow right now.  Those with a fetish for new hirise buildings won't get their fix anytime soon.  Construction costs have gone up 50% since 2002.

There is though that one 18-floor P&L project related to the namesake building rather than the district. I'm thinking it needs 50% pre-sale before it will get built though.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

New hirise condos would likely require >$500K units
I've heard this assertion made several times on this site and I'm not sure I understand it.  Charlotte has several downtown condo towers in progress and planned, and they don't all carry that sort of price tag, though some are far above it.  I believe land costs in downtown Charlotte are at least as high as in KC.  Furthermore, the towers here are, to the best of my knowledge, being built without public money.
Perhaps the key is that since some of the units are very expensive, some can be modestly priced.

Here are some links:
http://www.avenueuptown.com/Building.htm
http://www.charlottecondoscentral.com/downtown.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

One important item to consider is the size of the unit which is partially reflected in the price.  Couldn't tell the size of the units but they might be smaller than what KC has so far in its condo market.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
ntbpo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ntbpo »

Nice article about P&L in the Post Dispatch yesterday.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifest ... enDocument
Last edited by ntbpo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Plain and simple.  Couple things...

Not surprising...
No. 17 was supposed to be Vinino Wine Bar & Bistro, but it had closed early.
And where was the retail they found?  What Grand Opening!
The district has shopping, but the nighttime action is on two levels of bars and restaurants that surround KC Live!, a covered plaza with a stage for free entertainment, Wednesdays through Saturdays. The district had its grand opening in March, after four years in the making, and is entering its first full summer season.
False statements aside, a nice article and good pr.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Hmmm, Big 12 Tournament anyone?  Media launch prior?
PumpkinStalker wrote: Plain and simple.  Couple things...

Not surprising...
And where was the retail they found?  What Grand Opening!
False statements aside, a nice article and good pr.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Poor word choice on behalf of the writer.  What happened before/during Big 12 wasn't anyone's definition of a "grand opening".  That's jmo, nothing personal Tigerfan!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Poor word choice on behalf of the writer.  What happened before/during Big 12 wasn't anyone's definition of a "grand opening".  That's jmo, nothing personal Tigerfan!
RACIST!
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Power & Light District to add more eateries

•The nation’s third 801 Steak & Chop House will open in a 10,314-square-foot space at the southwest corner of 14th and Walnut streets on Oct. 1....

•Shark Bar, a new concept, plans an early August opening on the second level of Grand Boulevard between 13th and 14th streets. It will re-create a beach bar with weathered wood, soft blue fabrics, overlapping hammocks over the dance floor, and a disc jockey spinning retro dance and beach music classics. A central bar will offer tropical frozen concoctions, and the menu will include such items as Caribbean-style jerk chicken and beach fries....

Shark Bar was originally called Rum Shack, but the new name reflects more of its “campy” style.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i agree that Shark Bar is a better name than Rum Shack.  Rum Shack sounds like some sort of assy spring break-style place at the lake of the ozarks.  however, the actualy description of Shark Bar indicates it may well indeed be a lot like that.  so it goes, sounds like another good option for the party-hardy set. 

with each new P+L establishment that opens, i am reminded that i am an old curmudgeon. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

only as old as you act chriz.  you appear way too young to turn old and bitter....snap out of it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc