Kansas City Officially Has A New Mayor - Mark Funkhouser

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Kansas City Officially Has A New Mayor - Mark Funkhouser

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'm not talking about college, college doesn't reflect real life very much on the architectural side. I'm talking about architects that are out there working and practicing.

I don't come here for the opinions, I come here for news and updates on things going on in the area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ShowMeKC wrote: I don't come here for the opinions, I come here for news and updates on things going on in the area.
Obviously you do come here for opinions because you read them and feel compelled to respond. 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

No, it's just I find it stupid and rediculous how people react to political subjects. I may not come here for opinions, but that definitely doesn't mean I cannot/will not read them or respond to them... What makes you think one must go with the other?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ShowMeKC wrote: No, it's just I find it stupid and rediculous how people react to political subjects.
Yeah, it's simply outrageous that Kansas Citians would react negatively to a sexual harassment lawsuit against the mayor and his unelected - 3rd in command - wife.  Next time the mayor is in the news for fucking something up, I'll try not to act so stupidly and rediculously. 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

No, it's the fact that you are all blowing things out of proportion. Also, what makes you think that the woman isn't lying about the sexual harassment, or is blowing the situation that occured way out of proportion? Lawsuits are some of the stupidest things ever allowed and cause more problems than they solve...

Example: Look at the 78 year old man involved in the hit and run. He laid on the ground bleeding while cars and people walked by in the town... ONLY 4 people called the cops, no one went out to help...
It isn't that people didn't want to help, however nowadays, people are so selfish that if you are a victim, and the good samaritan helps, you can find an excuse to sue them for helping you so you get money out of it from an innocent person.

Another example of a political subject being blown out of proportions is Obama's old Church... People take short clips of Rev. Wright, and call him anti-american. They portray the church overall as being anti-american and hateful. Yet, the church and Reverend Wright NEVER said anything Anti-American or Unpatriotic. In fact, what he did say was complete truth. Yet people blow it out of proportions to smear a political candidate.

What some of you are doing, and what the woman suing him MIGHT (not saying she is) be doing is trying to smear Funkhouser for personal gain.

It's simply stupid and childish. People instead need to look at Politicians, even Funkhouser by using the truth and facts. Accusations are pointless, and baseless comments are useless.

I'm not saying I completely support Funkhouser, but I'm willing to recognize that he isn't as horrible as people like to make him out to be. In fact, I recognize the good things and bad things he has done. However I don't believe I have ANY right to judge him and say that he needs to be "impeached" because he isn't doing things I may not agree with.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

ShowMeKC wrote: No, it's just I find it stupid and rediculous how people react to political subjects.

http://how-to-spell-ridiculous.com/
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ShowMeKC wrote: No, it's the fact that you are all blowing things out of proportion. Also, what makes you think that the woman isn't lying about the sexual harassment, or is blowing the situation that occured way out of proportion? Lawsuits are some of the stupidest things ever allowed and cause more problems than they solve...
Blowing it out of proportion!?  This is potentially a multi-million $$$ racial discrimination and retaliatory discharge lawsuit when considering punitive damages.  Our mayor could potentially be mixed up in one hell of a scandal.  I mean, what makes you believe the woman isn't telling the truth about the harassment?  What makes you believe she is blowing it way out proportion?  The point is, until more concrete evidence is available, the citizens of Kansas City won't know if misconduct occurred.  Until then, however, we have every right to scrutinize our mayor and his potentially discriminatory conduct. 

In terms of lawsuits being "some of the stupidest things ever allowed," you make yourself seem incredibly uncredible and childish.  Yeah, there is such thing as a frivolous law suit.  I'll give you that.  They are indeed counterproductive.  However, to say all lawsuits are the "stupidest" things ever is, well... retarded.  Without lawsuits, blacks and whites wouldn't be allowed to marry.  Blacks wouldn't be allowed to go to school whites.  Blacks would have no way to remedy racial discrimination in the workplace.  Get it?       
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

"Until then, however, we have every right to scrutinize our mayor and his potentially discriminatory conduct."

Guess you haven't ever heard of innocent until proven guilty huh? He is innocent until found otherwise, thus we have NO RIGHT to judge him or ridicule him about these accusations because they are just that, accusations.

Also, I didn't say all lawsuits were bad, what I did say however, was that many of them are bad.

You people are also judging him on one year of his mayoral term. How stupid is that? As pointed out before, Kay Barnes' first year was rocky. It is also usually rocky when switching from one form of the government to another. We had a mayoral change, a council change, etc... As well as other City Hall changes encouraged by Funkhouser. How could you possibly expect it to smooth over and results to occur so soon?

Some here are so out of touch with reality... I know none of you could give a shit, but this is why I've never been back. This site is equally as bad as Fox News and CNN on the whole politics and news levels. Not because no one agrees with me (which I couldn't care less about). But because many of you are still whining and crying, and basing statements off of things that aren't even facts. Sorry, but I'd rather hear opinions in real life that are based on real facts.

Honestly, this place has become worthless in the past 7 years. Like I said, the only reason I ever come here anymore is for news on development. Because that is really all it's useful for now.
910penn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by 910penn »

To me it would be a little scary to live in a place where I have no right to question or scrutinize a political leader.  I thought that was what this country was founded upon?  I can have my opinion; I will leave his guilt or innocence up to the courts.  Just my 2 cents.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

ShowMeKC wrote: "Until then, however, we have every right to scrutinize our mayor and his potentially discriminatory conduct."

Guess you haven't ever heard of innocent until proven guilty huh? He is innocent until found otherwise, thus we have NO RIGHT to judge him or ridicule him about these accusations because they are just that, accusations.

Also, I didn't say all lawsuits were bad, what I did say however, was that many of them are bad.

You people are also judging him on one year of his mayoral term. How stupid is that? As pointed out before, Kay Barnes' first year was rocky. It is also usually rocky when switching from one form of the government to another. We had a mayoral change, a council change, etc... As well as other City Hall changes encouraged by Funkhouser. How could you possibly expect it to smooth over and results to occur so soon?

Some here are so out of touch with reality... I know none of you could give a shit, but this is why I've never been back. This site is equally as bad as Fox News and CNN on the whole politics and news levels. Not because no one agrees with me (which I couldn't care less about). But because many of you are still whining and crying, and basing statements off of things that aren't even facts. Sorry, but I'd rather hear opinions in real life that are based on real facts.

Honestly, this place has become worthless in the past 7 years. Like I said, the only reason I ever come here anymore is for news on development. Because that is really all it's useful for now.
What whining babble!  If you don't like the board, then you're free to leave.  Not sure why you would be checking the board for development news anyway.  Sounds like you would like development to stop, and it surely will continue if Funks lack of leadership continues.  I have hope that he might see that he is going to get nothing done at his current course and try a more diplomatic, inspiring type of leadership.  Let's cross our fingers.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

You just proved my point, ty...
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

ShowMeKC wrote: No, it's the fact that you are all blowing things out of proportion. Also, what makes you think that the woman isn't lying about the sexual harassment, or is blowing the situation that occured way out of proportion? Lawsuits are some of the stupidest things ever allowed and cause more problems than they solve...

Example: Look at the 78 year old man involved in the hit and run. He laid on the ground bleeding while cars and people walked by in the town... ONLY 4 people called the cops, no one went out to help...
It isn't that people didn't want to help, however nowadays, people are so selfish that if you are a victim, and the good samaritan helps, you can find an excuse to sue them for helping you so you get money out of it from an innocent person.

Another example of a political subject being blown out of proportions is Obama's old Church... People take short clips of Rev. Wright, and call him anti-american. They portray the church overall as being anti-american and hateful. Yet, the church and Reverend Wright NEVER said anything Anti-American or Unpatriotic. In fact, what he did say was complete truth. Yet people blow it out of proportions to smear a political candidate.

What some of you are doing, and what the woman suing him MIGHT (not saying she is) be doing is trying to smear Funkhouser for personal gain.

It's simply stupid and childish. People instead need to look at Politicians, even Funkhouser by using the truth and facts. Accusations are pointless, and baseless comments are useless.

I'm not saying I completely support Funkhouser, but I'm willing to recognize that he isn't as horrible as people like to make him out to be. In fact, I recognize the good things and bad things he has done. However I don't believe I have ANY right to judge him and say that he needs to be "impeached" because he isn't doing things I may not agree with.
Here is what we know.  A suit cannot be filed until the EEOC determines there are grounds.  The EEOC determined that a suit can be filed.  In other words, the suit may have merit.  All the talk about political witch hunts go out the window with that.

Gloria is not like any other volunteer.  Members of the Park Board, TIF Commission, Plan Commission, etc, exercise functions prescribed by the charter or state statute.  As long as they act in accordance to the Charter and/or statute, those volunteers are afforded protection by the City. 

Members of boards established by the charter do not enjoy the privileges of e-mail, phone, office space, parking, supervision over staff others that Gloria enjoys.  The charter and statutes do not provide a role for the mayor's spose and yet here's Gloria, who acts as a quasi chief of staff.  With those facts established, nepotism is not an abstraction.  What Funkhouser is doing might actually redefine the meaning of the word.

The issue with Gloria is not something that is being blown out of proportion.  I would say that the issue is actually much worse than what has been described in the suit.  Gloria could cost Funkshouser his job and I, for one, can't wait until someone steps up and files a suit on the basis of nepotism.

Again I say, I supported Funkhouser.  I had no idea his wife would have such a big role in the office.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

ShowMeKC wrote: Guess you haven't ever heard of innocent until proven guilty huh? He is innocent until found otherwise, thus we have NO RIGHT to judge him or ridicule him about these accusations because they are just that, accusations.
Sorry, that does not apply in this case for two reasons.

1)  This is a civil suit, not criminal.  Even in a criminal case the prosecution does assume the defendant is guilty, otherwise why file charges.  The judge and jury are the ones who are to assume that the defendant is innocent until proven guilty.

2)  In the matter of public opinion one can assume guilt or innocence, we have that freedom to do so, whether it is a civil suit or a criminal case.

In a civil case a defendent is not found guilty, so to speak, without a reasonable doubt.  All that the plantiff has to prove is that it is, say, reasonable, that the defendant did the wrong act.  That is why OJ was found innocent at the criminal trial but was found guilty in the civil case and has found liable for damages.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

nm

Last edited by KC-wildcat on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I never said I liked how Funkhouser has his wife in such a prominent position. I agree with everyone else in that she needs to step back away from being a part of his position.
However, I'm not going to discredit and slam Funkhouser for that mistake.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

ShowMeKC wrote: I never said I liked how Funkhouser has his wife in such a prominent position. I agree with everyone else in that she needs to step back away from being a part of his position.
However, I'm not going to discredit and slam Funkhouser for that mistake.
Then you apparently put no value whatsoever in his accountability for the professional conduct of his mayoral office.

The buck stops with him, ShowMe.  Period.  You can't admit he's responsible for unilaterally appointing her to a position of power in one breath, but then absolve him of the blame when that position of power is abused.

Regardless of what results of this, Funkhouser knew he was walking a dangerously thin line by inviting this type of nepotism in a highly public office. 
Last edited by MidtownCat on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

ShowMeKC wrote:

Development news?

In case you haven't noticed, since The Funk and Glo show took office, there hasn't been a whole lot of that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ShowMeKC, I have never stated I hated Funkhouser.  I do hate that fact that he is our mayor.  I don't think he should be running a city of a half million people and the "leader" of a metro of 2 million.

I blame the residents for voting him in.  I blame the residents for thinking that KC leadership in the past few years has destroyed the city when it has been just the opposite.  If we didn't invest billions into downtown, KC would be the biggest freaking joke in the nation.  It would not even be close.  We would be right there with Detroit and even that would be questionable as they have come a long way as well.

So putting the hammer down on developers (which KC has very few of in the first place) and calling them out as evil and bringing in all his bizarre hillbilly baggage such as his wife and the way he carries himself just doesn't work well.

Now, I really like Funkhouser as a person.  What's not to like about him?  He seems like a great guy with some great ideas and he just might pull off regional transit.

But was he the right guy to come in right in the middle of all of this effort to turn our city from embarrassment to a respectable urban city again?

IMO, absolutely not.  I think at one point, Funkhouser could have come in and done well.  This was not the time and it might have cost us or delayed our dreams of having a truly vibrant urban core, booming northland and growing city.
Last edited by GRID on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

GRID, the bad thing is, City Hall for the past years has been spending too much money themselves. All of this investment Downtown should not have been paid for by the citizens, or the city. The city is not there to give money to developers for projects they cannot afford.

Also, Kansas City will continue to be a joke, even with a great Downtown. The simple reason is that 95-90% of the metro is still a joke. Our urban core is basically a joke still, and investing in Downtown without focusing on the urban neighborhoods makes no sense.

Funkhouser's policy (as he said) would be to focus on neighborhoods. Over the next 3 more years, it is possible he may finally get to work on the neighborhoods and deal with the sewer problem as well as the school problem. It is meaningless to have a good Downtown when the rest of the urban core is still in decay.

Also, the residents of the city are FAR more important than any Downtown area, and are definitely more important than any developer, no matter how big of a project that developer wants to build.
Funkhouser has 3 more years, so we just need to sit and see if he fulfills what he promised, that is, focusing back on improving local neighborhoods.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

ShowMeKC wrote: GRID, the bad thing is, City Hall for the past years has been spending too much money themselves. All of this investment Downtown should not have been paid for by the citizens, or the city. The city is not there to give money to developers for projects they cannot afford.

Also, Kansas City will continue to be a joke, even with a great Downtown. The simple reason is that 95-90% of the metro is still a joke. Our urban core is basically a joke still, and investing in Downtown without focusing on the urban neighborhoods makes no sense.

Funkhouser's policy (as he said) would be to focus on neighborhoods. Over the next 3 more years, it is possible he may finally get to work on the neighborhoods and deal with the sewer problem as well as the school problem. It is meaningless to have a good Downtown when the rest of the urban core is still in decay.

Also, the residents of the city are FAR more important than any Downtown area, and are definitely more important than any developer, no matter how big of a project that developer wants to build.
Funkhouser has 3 more years, so we just need to sit and see if he fulfills what he promised, that is, focusing back on improving local neighborhoods.
If you believe KC is a joke, you overlook the fact that Funkhouser has made KC more of joke yet.

The whole reason for investing downtown was simple: without a heart, the city dies.  Downtown generates far more taxes than any other part of the city.  We need to maintain that tax base so that we can afford to pay for things in other areas of the city.

Funkhouser used neighborhoods as an election ploy.  What has he done for neighborhoods?  Nothing.  His first year has been focused on killing downtown development. 

Urban policy requires a balanced approach.  Funkhouser doesn't understand that.  He is the wrong mayor for these tough economic times.