If someone wants to live in a vibrant big city, should he/she move to KC?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

If someone wants to live in a vibrant big city, should he/she move to KC?

No. KC has little to offer in comparison to other cities.
53%
Yes. KC offers the best a big city can.
47%

Total votes: 51

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: If someone wants to live in a vibrant big city, should he/she move to KC?

Post by trailerkid »

bbqboy wrote: So vibrant =more places to drink or vibrant= a Trader Joe's and good food?
Or hustle and bustle as opposed to laid back open spaces?
vi·brant
Pronunciation:
\-brənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 1616
1 a (1): oscillating or pulsating rapidly (2): pulsating with life, vigor, or activity b (1): readily set in vibration (2): responsive, sensitive
2: sounding as a result of vibration : resonant
3: bright 4
— vi·brant·ly adverb
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I'm all for pulsating rapidly :lol:
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

"i don't think KC will ever blow anyone way, particularly those who get off on "big city" bustle, extreme density, and no-brainer walkability.  it just isn't that kind of town.  its pleasures and charms are understated. "

I like KC because it's NOT a big, bustling city. Want big and bustling? Well, Sao Paulo is the epitome of that, but man, what a difficult place to live. KC is a very, very easy place to get by, and I'm happy to trade the ease of living here for some of the aspects that contribute to the vibrancy of larger cities. Sure, it's not easily walkable, but we don't have a terrible rush hour like much of the East coast. We may only have a couple of pedestrian-friendly nightlife areas, but the cost of living is under control. Living anywhere - anywhere - is fraught with compromise.

So... vibrant? Maybe.
Big? No, Kansas City is not big.
Want to live here? Yes, I'm living here by choice.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

mean wrote: Well, in my completely objective, unbiased, and entirely correct opinion, Kansas City requires the following things to meet my definition of a Big Vibrant City:

1. 24-hour delivery of tacos al pastor, pizza, and marijuana throughout the urban core.
2. At least 4:00 bars, but the later the better.
3. Rail transit from the airport to Waldo, with a couple feeder lines into the suburbs, coupled with a real bus system that is easy to understand, with buses that run up and down streets in a straight line!
4. A proper waterfront, with boats and marinas and such.
5. An additional $5-7 billion in taxpayer-subsidized development. Doesn't really matter what, but tall is always good.
6. Proper sewers.
7. A giant tornado-shaped tower.
8. Walk / Don't Walk signs that don't require you to press a stupid button.
9. Commercial flights to and from MKC.
10. River cruises to and from Omaha, St. Louis, etc.
11. Legalized prostitution and decriminalization of all street drugs.
12. Urban mimes.
13. A recreational carnival-style park adjacent to downtown on the riverfront; in recognition of Kansas City's girth it would be called Gravy Pier. You'd get a free Rascal scooter for the day with every admission.
14. A commemorative statue of Kay Barnes and Jerry Riffel shitting on the graves of John Locke and Henry George.
15. More hot dog street vendors.
A few of these I know you meant in jest. However, this is a good list with just a few additions.

My additions: No particular order or prioritization

# Better cooperation/regard/recognition/pride of all cities, counties, etc in the entire metro. Less hatred and childish bickering over city/burbs.

# Better execution of city services-trash, snow removal, road repairs, etc.

# Accountability for tax dollars spent on anything. Taxpayers need to really be able to see where their money goes-whether it be for services, TIFs, or any other thing. Transparency would be good rather than the convoluted ways we have to find out.

# An ongoing, blue ribbon group of KC boosters to actually attract amenities and activities and business (city, state, national and international) to the area. KC deserves to have more than it gets. The lack of publicity for city wide or metro wide stuff is partly to blame. Those who are currently doing this need a lot more "oooomph."

# Straighten up the Mayor's office (and Funk is just the most recent one, not the only one) Make the Mayor's office and their activities something to be proud of.

# Last but not least-pursue unification of all of the metro. Representation according to population as well as area. (Yeah, I know that is totally a pipe dream, but it would be great.)

# Unification of all school districts in the metro. (I've always felt that this would be good, even when I lived in the STL area)

# Schools need massive improvement. And it isn't going to come without MASSIVE, MASSIVE housecleaning of board, admin, superintendant, etc. And the solution doesn't involve throwing money at the problems. I firmly believe that in most problems, money has nothing to do with it or at least not nearly as much as method.

Yeah, I know I don't live there anymore, but I'll always have a soft spot for KC.

And TK-even I see baiting in the way this topic was posted.
lucuspukus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lucuspukus »

I'm from Iowa so KC is a lot more exciting than DSM. However, DSM is making a lot of changes and if I wanted safety+fun, I think that DSM isn't bad. The things that I love about KC are the architecture and the art scene. We took a guy from San Fransisco to First Fridays and he said that First Fridays were the closest thing to San Fransico that he'd found in KC. He lived here for about 5 months and left, he just couldn't handle the boredom.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I will try something different here.

Some people refuse to take a job, even if the pay is greater, because of where they would have to move.  So the question is:

You go to your high school or college reunion.  You met an old friend of yours.  The company he works for is looking for employees with a background like yours.  The friend says you can make, say $20k, more than you are making now.  The catch is you have to move to Sioux Falls.  Would you take it?  If not at $20k more then what amount?  And what point does money overcome lifestyle?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

ignatius wrote: I think KC compares closer to Denver to some degree, but needs more momentum downtown.  KC's City Market, Martini Corner, Westport, W39th, Plaza, Brookside, Hyde Park meets or exceeds anything in Denver's urban areas, it's just that Denver's downtown is quite a bit further along.  KC's downtown however has quite a bit more potential and can be a great deal better than Denver's downtown once it reaches its potential.  Downtown KC has way way more loft space, like 5X more warehouse conversions.  The arts district of 60 galleries is unmatched just about anywhere but needs more infill development.  Denver has more 'new' construction downtown, KC has much broader classic downtown infrastructure that stretches 30 blocks.

Denver has done a better job with the infrastructure it has downtown.  KC has better and broader infrastructure downtown but is behind in fulfilling its potential.  Once both reach the max potential, I think KC will have an edge.  I do think KC's downtown is pretty much near the point though that it can now attract residents almost as well as downtown Denver could, once more retail hits like the grocery store, basic neighborhood amenities and a bookstore.  The 94-96% apartment occupancy clearly indicates that downtown KC is able to attract residents as well as any downtown.
I tend to disagree, at least with your first few sentences.  Denver's urban core is much more vibrant than KC's; Larimer Square, Denver Pavillions, 16th Street Mall, LoDo, Capitol Hill, Cherry Creek all are much more vibrant than anything that I've seen in KC.  Yes, Brookside and the Plaza are nice; City Market and River Market are definitely gold mines that no one has yet to exploit.  I personally think that Whole Foods should've planted a store in the River Market area which would've greatly enhanced the area.  Westport is not the best place - I find it somewhat dirty and at times unsafe.  Kansas City definitely has the potential of being a great, vibrant city.  There are some sparks flying with the new KCPL district and cultural arts center, but there needs to be an influx of proper management, money, and a desire to be a great city.  The roads downtown suck, the metal plates need to disappear, and mass transit needs to be moving.  All of this was done in Denver between 1990 and the present, and everytime I go back to visit, I am amazed as to why I ever wanted to leave.

I moved to Kansas City from Denver for employment.  If I had found employment elsewhere or in Denver back in 2001 with the same pay or more, I probably would not have moved to KC.
Last edited by BigBill33 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

"Westport is not the best place - I find it somewhat dirty and at times unsafe."

I sometimes think these statements can only come from someone who's never been to an old city and likes to hang around sterilized places like The Legends.  Westport is a decent spot with an eclectic mix of many things.  It has stinky hipsters and can get rowdy after midnite on weekends (pre-P&L) but what I find interesting is that if I take someone from older cities to Westport, they really like it and have no sense of it being 'dirty'.  Someone from 'new' sterilized cities may find it dirty and scary.  Don't bother hitting East Village, LES or Brooklyn in NYC, you'll really be sceered.  And Philly Center City is just one big pile of dirt given how old it is.

But I'm biased since I live between Westport/Plaza. 

Cherry Creek more vibrant than the Plaza??? Hmmm.  Maybe so.  I haven't been to Denver in a few years but Cherry Creek hardly had the foot traffic that Plaza did, or does it now?  I've only been to CC a couple times.  The shops are mostly in a mall.

I generally agree with you otherwise.
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

ignatius wrote: I wasn't comparing KC to Minneapolis , only that light rail didn't make MSP more vibrant in any way and that MSP isn't a 'big' city in the way that NYC/Chicago are.  STL has had light rail for a couple decades now and isn't any more vibrant than KC.

Pre-1950, KC was light years ahead of Denver.  KC's 'classic' infrastructure is still much much better than Denver's (5x more old buildings, awesome art deco architecture, 3 warehouse districts, more older neighborhoods with tasteful stone/brick infrastructure).  In that sense, KC has far more urban potential than Denver when both meet their peak potential.  But as I said, Denver is obviously ahead in its downtown renovation, probably by 10 years or more.  But when downtown KC hits on all cylinders, it will likely have much more breadth and depth than downtown Denver running on all cylinders.

As far as population being the measuring stick, that's ridiculous.  Dallas, Phoenix, Tampa, Orlando are bigger cities with zero soul and are simply just places to exist.  Look at LA compared to San Fran.  Dallas contrasted to DC or Boston and yes, even KC.  Population doesn't make a comprehensive city with the breadth and depth that most older midwest/e coast cities have.
I agree with you that KC will have more breadth and depth, but when will KC hit on all cylinders?  KC is already 10 years behind the times but continues to stagnate itself.  There is some light at the end of the tunnel, but it is very faint!
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

ignatius wrote: "Westport is not the best place - I find it somewhat dirty and at times unsafe."

I sometimes think these statements can only come from someone who's never been to an old city and likes to hang around sterilized places like The Legends.  Westport is a decent spot with an eclectic mix of many things.  It has stinky hipsters and can get rowdy after midnite on weekends (pre-P&L) but what I find interesting is that if I take someone from older cities to Westport, they really like it and have no sense of it being 'dirty'.  Someone from 'new' sterilized cities may find it dirty and scary.  Don't bother hitting East Village, LES or Brooklyn in NYC, you'll really be sceered.  And Philly Center City is just one big pile of dirt given how old it is.

But I'm biased since I live between Westport/Plaza. 

Cherry Creek more vibrant than the Plaza??? Hmmm.  Maybe so.  I haven't been to Denver in a few years but Cherry Creek hardly had the foot traffic that Plaza did, or does it now?  I've only been to CC a couple times.  The shops are mostly in a mall.

I generally agree with you otherwise.
Westport does have it's character, but the times that I have been down there, it seemed like there were a lot of gang activity (which follows with police activity), and not an overall great place to hang out.  I agree with you that areas that are sterile are not has hip either.  I have been to much older cities like Chicago, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, DC, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Minneapolis to visit and party and have found those places to be cleaner and nicer.  Even walking around downtown in those places at night is relatively safe!  If KC downtown wants more, there has to be more of a cleanup effort.

I have driven around the neighborhoods near the Nelson and have found them to be very nice.

There are actually two parts to Cherry Creek - Cherry Creek South and Cherry Creek North.  The mall is in the south part and is very much a mall, but blows away Oak Park.  Cherry Creek North has a lot of restaurants, art galleries, and boutique shopping with a lot of foot traffic.  The Cherry Creek Arts Festival is in this area.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I will try something different here.

Some people refuse to take a job, even if the pay is greater, because of where they would have to move.  So the question is:

You go to your high school or college reunion.  You met an old friend of yours.  The company he works for is looking for employees with a background like yours.  The friend says you can make, say $20k, more than you are making now.  The catch is you have to move to Sioux Falls.  Would you take it?  If not at $20k more then what amount?  And what point does money overcome lifestyle?
I would take $20k less to live in a more expensive city, at this point. Fortunately, I can make almost 60% more in some of them, with my current resume.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I could also make up for the increased cost of living by cutting roughly 9000 car-related dollars from my budget. Though, I'm hoping to accomplish that here at some point...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: You go to your high school or college reunion.  You met an old friend of yours.  The company he works for is looking for employees with a background like yours.  The friend says you can make, say $20k, more than you are making now.  The catch is you have to move to Sioux Falls.  Would you take it?  If not at $20k more then what amount?  And what point does money overcome lifestyle?
A place like Sioux Falls is about as worse case scenario for me just because of the isolated location - you have a hell of a lot of travel ahead of you just to get to a reasonable airport and there are no cities you could even visit on the weekend with much less than a whole day's drive.  I am sure there are probably flights from Sioux Falls to Chicago, but they can't be cheap.  I would sooner live in a podunk armpit like Ottawa, KS or Sedalia, where you could at least get into a city in around an hour and have some flight option to get the hell out whenever possible.  Sioux Falls your just stuck SOL. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

OK.  Instead of Sioux Falls try Ottawa or Sedalia?  Or even Bentonvillle, Arkansas?

The point is, at what price point would one trade an urban life for a non-urban life?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: OK.  Instead of Sioux Falls try Ottawa or Sedalia?  Or even Bentonvillle, Arkansas?

The point is, at what price point would one trade an urban life for a non-urban life?
it's not a price point issue for me, it's where i am at in my life.  right now i wouldn't live in a non-urban setting for any salary i am qualified to make, but i would gladly live in an urban setting making less than half what i am making now.  however, in 20 years, maybe i'll want to live out in the woods and you wouldn't be able to pay me enough to live in the city, who knows?  probably not the case since "urban" KCMO isn't all that urban, but still. 

i would never, ever live full-time more than an hour from a major city and more than 20 minutes from the heart of this city.  i would rather live on a small compound in rural weston than live in an equidistant beige subdivision in olathe.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

The weather is a huge factor in what I'd do.  Would die to live in Wrigleyville - but it's too damn cold.  If Wrigleyville had the same weather as KC, Id be there.

Besides this is lame w/o considering family ties.  That's what drives people's living locations, not "vibrancy"
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

chrizow wrote: it's not a price point issue for me, it's where i am at in my life.  right now i wouldn't live in a non-urban setting for any salary i am qualified to make, but i would gladly live in an urban setting making less than half what i am making now.  however, in 20 years, maybe i'll want to live out in the woods and you wouldn't be able to pay me enough to live in the city, who knows?  probably not the case since "urban" KCMO isn't all that urban, but still. 

i would never, ever live full-time more than an hour from a major city and more than 20 minutes from the heart of this city.  i would rather live on a small compound in rural weston than live in an equidistant beige subdivision in olathe.
My thoughts on your perspective and the perspectives of others:

It is really very interesting and also fascinating to see what others think and say about Kansas City and other cities and make value comparisons. I can handle the uncharitable comments possibly because of my home town (KCK) has for all of my life been considered by most folks in the metro as the armpit of KC. So be it. Kansas City to many people in this country is considered to be an armpit. Could a blue-blood from Boston ever understand that Kansas City is a major urban metropolis, or could the politically class conscious DC'rs ever think KC is worthy of consideration for anything.  The big question for me is what makes any one city so special when you compare city elements side by side?

I've been to Cherry Creek; it is nice, but not light years ahead of our CC Plaza.  I've visited and stayed in Sioux Falls a few times and that town has a real nice character, similar to Lawrence, and more upscale than Leavenworth, great architecture; but I can't talk about its cultural attributes. The Falls however are a real special geological asset that outshines Golden, Colorados' river.

Culture seems to be a defining characteristic when comparing great cities, e.g. San Francisco has a cultural edge on Denver and Minneapolis, which both have a cultural edge on Kansas City, which has a definite cultural edge on Omaha and Oklahoma City and Tulsa (am I right, or on the right track here?).  It all seems relative.

Kansas City has it's immense inferiority complex which I think is playing into this discussion. And then there are the attitudes and prejudices that exist within the metro area.

Since Olathe, was mentioned in this post I felt the impulse to comment. It's interesting to have started off in KCK during the working class 1950's, and then live hip but meager right near UMKC (not sure if it was really cool or not), and then live in an even poorer neighborhood, and then to Red Bridge suburbs near Kathy Jolly, and finally ending up in a classic beige Olathe subdivision with something of a snouthouse. The house is comfortable, clean, new, has the perfect lawn, a vegetable and flower garden and a great view. For the first time in my life I can see a lot of stars at night and I don't take really offense at comments about Olathe (honest), because I never apologize for decisions that I make free and clear. Olathe has little culture, and the Price Chopper I shop at is nothing special.

I also read with great amusement some 20 years ago Richard Rhode's essay in Harpers "Cupcake Land: Requiem for the Midwest in the Key of Vanilla." For those who have read this or know of it, you'll know what I mean.  But I chose freely to become a "cupcake" but with one difference. I don't put down KCMO for it's schools, nor take potshits at KU or MU, Lawrence or Columbia, Denver, Okies or Yorkers or Californians. The only city I have a real problem with is Washington, DC because it harbors a culture of entitlement and "I'm important and this place is the most important."

So I think we as a city, and this forum community really need to get off the examination of KC isn't as good as....., but it IS better than..... and this part of the city sucks, but this particular neighborhood is special.  You should probably realize that you're the only one who really feels exactly like you do.

This post isn't targeted uniquely at you Chrizow, I just used the quote feature because your post has centered on the discussion and there were some convenient references in it to Olathe, Sioux falls, etc.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Maitre D wrote: The weather is a huge factor in what I'd do.  Would die to live in Wrigleyville - but it's too damn cold.  If Wrigleyville had the same weather as KC, Id be there.

Besides this is lame w/o considering family ties.  That's what drives people's living locations, not "vibrancy"
You sound like me. As I was drinking outside this sunny afternoon, I kept imagining living in Wrigleyville on game day...enjoying the sun/women/baseball. I'd love that. And you're right, if my family/friends weren't in this area, then I wouldn't be living here. I'd have moved as soon as I got out of college. But that is the biggest influence I have with regards to where I live. No sense in moving to the coast if I don't know anyone there. Would be kinda pointless. For me, it's the relationships that make a place special...not the transit system/buildings/or perceived coolness from outsiders.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

advocrat wrote: My thoughts on your perspective and the perspectives of others:
Very good post.  Some insight into what I was trying to lead into.  One thing I have found out in life you generally get out of something what you put into it.  If you go from San Fran to KC and are wanting San Fran you will be, in all likelyhood, disappointed.  However if you come to KC and be open to what KC has to offer, as its own area, then you just might be in for a pleasant surprise.
For example, in the past there were some parties I dreaded going to and you know what I did not have a good time.  But when I decided to enjoy myself, no matter what, then generally I had a good time and at times enjoyed the party more than I expected.  So expectations have a major effect on an outcome.

PS:
Since you lived near Jolly we must have been neighbors for awhile.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Maitre D wrote: The weather is a huge factor in what I'd do.   Would die to live in Wrigleyville - but it's too damn cold.   If Wrigleyville had the same weather as KC, Id be there.

Yea, location decisions are based on the entire package.  I moved to Europe 10 years ago knowing full well the weather was terrible but the monetary and educational (for the kids) benefits of an expat assignment, chance to see another continent with diverse cultures and vibrant cities, and the beauty of northern Europe balanced out leaving the known comforts of the US and seeing family on a much less frequent basis. 

When I return, it will most likely be to Houston and, if I was 30, I would gladly take a cut in pay to avoid what I consider the least livable city in the US.  Unfortunately, when you are further into your career, there is just too much to lose such as retirement/extended medical benefits, established position in company, and a few other tangibles to behave like you might at age 30....especially since remaining earning years are limited.   Until recently, I really wanted to return to Denver but at 50, there is no way I would ever go there and let the higher cost of living/housing erode what wealth I have been able to accumulate.
Last edited by Highlander on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.