Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

kckid
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by kckid »

Story on the Star's website. I think this would be an absolute disaster. So much for adding "culture" to down town KC...... :x
"Sammy, its a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear."
-Norm from "Cheers"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I was SHOCKED when I read it and pissed but the more I think about it, a nice anchor like Bass Pro where it's the only one w/in many miles might be a good thing. Put it next to the arena and you have an instant draw.

There will still be plenty of culture in the city.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by Cyburbia »

Bass Pro would be good for a close-to-downtown attraction; it might entice local businesses to pioneer with locations downtown, and other large national retailers to follow.

Bas Pro is considering a location in Buffalo, in the old Memorial Auditorium, at the south end of downtown. It's a perfect location, actually; it's next to I-190, convenient to Canadian travellers, the new arena is two blocks away, and there's plenty of surface parking adjacent to the building. There's also a Metro Rail station at the front door, in case anyone wants to take their purchases home on the subway. :D
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

Only problem that the article raised was truck drivers and RV's that like to stop at these stores....really no way to solve that.

The idea is growing on me. This could be an anchor for a nice little entertainment district around the arena that would be the piece of entertainment KC is always said to be lacking.....at this point I'm down with anything coming in. Not everything down in SoLo will be corporate, but having a big regional draw like Bass Pro will help convention business and help smaller businesses know that people will be coming down giving them foot traffic so they are more likely to sign on.

Just think, in the middle of the linear park, a nice little lake.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by dangerboy »

Seems like a good idea considering how many people think that large mega retail chain stores like this are so critical for Downtown. I hope they don't knock down more buildings to accomodate RV and truck parking.

Sucks for southern and eastern Kansas City, since Bass Pro really would have helped save Bannister or Blue Ridge Malls. They certainly need it more than Downtown does. At least it seems less likely to go to Olathe.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCN »

kckid wrote:Story on the Star's website. I think this would be an absolute disaster. So much for adding "culture" to down town KC...... :x
Actually, Bass Pro is a big part of Missouri culture.

I would rather see this go in the Jackson County suburbs, it seems like it would fit in better out there, with all the lakes, and closer to the MO ozarks.

BUT whatever gets tourists downtown, I'll take! But I agree, don't waste a lot of downtown space for RV parking. You'd need a parking garage for Bass Pro, which RV's don't fit too well in.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by trailerkid »

Put Bass Pro in a suburban location. It doesn't belong downtown. Buying a fishing pole and tackle next to One Kansas City Place? It just doesn't make sense.
KCMatt
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCMatt »

suburbanites have neglected downtown for fifty years, such an attraction would bring money and people downtown but at what cost. Example, The plaza used to be a great urban neighborhood, now it is a JOCO commuter playground and the long time residents stay on the outside while their neighborhoods fall to suburban influences
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Ignatius - why don't you run for mayor, you seem to have all the answers for downtown development?
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCgridlock

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCgridlock »

Before you guys write off this idea, is it really so bad? As a born and raised urban guy and someone who has absolutely no interests in fishing or hunting etc, I can tell you that this may be a major piece to the "fixing downtown puzzle". At first I was like Oh No!! But think about it.

Downtown needs a major power attraction that will draw people, lots of people on a consistent, daily basis. Downtown will never achieve that with just lofts etc. A new arena and the arts center will also help but will be sporadic, but a big retail draw could really be what downtown needs to keep the streets full all the time. Downtown is never going to be a big retail center because KC already has two other major urban retail center (plaza & crown center). But a big power retail draw like Bass Pro could be a major anchor is drawing other downtown retail that other would not go downtown due to lack of consistent traffic even in a built up residential downtown.

A development of this sort would have to be done right, the parking would need to be designed creatively not to disturb the urban fabric. The lake could be incorporated into the linear park giving it life and keeping it safe and vibrant (something lacking in most KC urban parks).

Look at it as another piece to the puzzle. Another small part of what will make downtown a fascinating place to live, work and play.

But I would say that if Downtown St.Louis or Denver had a large Bass Pro Shops, I would not think any lower of them and would probably check them out.

My biggest concern is that most people who do shop at Cabella's or Bass Pro are the same ones that are pretty much afraid of downtown (muggings, car jackings, black people...) and are the ones who complain when they do come down about parking etc. Would they just assume go to Cabellas than mess with downtown? But on the other hand there is probably enough people that it wouldn't bother to patronize the store. Bass Pro would have to do some research there.

So anyway, think about the big picture, I'm not saying I'm all for it either, I would want a lot more details. Downtown needs as many things as possible to get as many people as possible to be downtown as often as possible. A big retail draw like Bass Pro could be a part of that. I really don't know, but we can't shoot things down everytime they arise or (as time has shown us) nothing will get done. Not everybody wants an arena, not everybody wants an arts center, not everybody wants a bass pro shop.

But I think everybody wants a vibrant downtown so we need to at least look at our options.
Last edited by KCgridlock on Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by DanCa »

I was shocked to hear this is being considered. I know people who fish in the KC area and they aren't the type of people who frequent downtown. I'm not putting anyone down here, but I don't think you'll find many fishers who like to hang out in the city. Two completely different demographics. People going to Bass Pro would probably hop in their pickup and head back to the suburbs/country as soon as they're done shopping. When was the last time you heard someone say, "Hey. I need to stop off and get a new fishing pole, some waders, bait and then lets grab a cappucino and brunch before the opera"?

Personally I think this would only damage KC's image. I understand it would draw people downtown, but not people who would want to live and play there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree, there needs to be more details but if the 'lake' could be in with the park the only issue I see is this "need" for RV parking....I will NOT agree to it if they put a new huge surface lot ANYWHERE close to downtown.

I think it's unique and would be a great anchor that would really help draw more people downtown and out of the hotel rooms (in the case of conventioneers)

KCgridlock

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCgridlock »

That's what I keep thinking Dan. Exactly who would go to the Bass Pro? The demographics of a typical Bass Pro or Cabella's customer are that of someone who can never find anything good to say about any urban area.

But I don't know everything. Something like this could draw a different type of crowd than Cabella's. More of a cross-over outdoorsy yet yuppie urban crowd along with the tourists and suburbanites that enjoy visiting downtown.

What if they changed the store to be more in line with the demographics. It could lean more toward Sun & Ski or Gallayn's. (That's a thought Galyan's downtown, awesome), anyway. The store could sell more mountain bikes and sky gear etc that would cater more to the urban and suburban KC population.

I also agree with KC, we don't need a big tacky RV surface lot at the front door of downtown.

I'm just open to anything right now. I think if done right, something like this could work.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by dangerboy »

An REI downtown would be even better, unique to this market.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah the demographics are different in my mind too....and the first thing I thought was what people would think about BPS being in our urban core.

Then I started to just think about the numbers of people BPS brings in and how great it would be to help kick off the SoLo district. You land a retail tenant with that much drawing power and others just fall in line.

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCN »

I still don't think it's a bad idea. No one here wants what they have in Springfield (huge spread out store and RV lot) inside our downtown loop. That would be insane.

But, have you ever been to Bass Pro? It's really interesting and not your typical bait and gun shop. I love the one in SGF, and the wildlife museum next door is great (for a new museum). I actually would be much more supportive of it if they put a similar museum next to it (although they're run by seperate companies). I could see such a set up fitting in nicely if it

1) were south of the loop, toward Union Station (keep the tourist areas bunched together)

2) Had a museum or something other than just a bait and tackle shop. Something showcasing the fantastic wildlife around KS and MO.

3) Nixed the giant parking lot and either built or shared a garage, with maybe a few RV and bus spots outside

4) Built it up vertically, maybe 3 or 4 floors, instead of spread out horizontally

I disagree that people that go to BP would be scared of downtown. I mean, this is not south side Chicago we're talking about. You get people from rural areas downtown all the time. Ever heard of the Boat Show?

So yeah, as long as this is not a huge RV parking lot in the middle of the loop, I say give it a shot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by KCPowercat »

Knowing what I know now, I'm for it. I do demand an urban setup store not a sprawling store though. I think it's a great anchor to put on the linear park.

Attach it to the arena some how maybe.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by trailerkid »

Turn Kemper into Bass Pro and build a new arena downtown.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by tat2kc »

as someone who actually lives in the urban, core, and would be within walking distance of the Bass Pro Shp, I have no problem at all with this in my neighborhood. The huge numbers of visitors these places generate would be great for the entire urban core, if done right. And the comparison to an auto mall or the KKK? Damn! Talk about snobbish close minded elitist attidue!

Downtown has a poor reputation. If all those suburbanites and rural folks make it to the urban core and have a nice experience the'll be back. The suburban folks talk down about those of us who live in the urban core, let's not take the same attitude towards those who might like a Bass Pro Shop or similar attraction. Ignatius, maybe you need to define who it is you'd like to include in your diversity definition. Apparently folks who enjoy outdoor sports like hunting fishing and camping don't meet your criteria
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
inkman

Bass Pro - DOWNTOWN?

Post by inkman »

boy there sure is a lot of discussion about this topic. i don't know why anyone is getting worked up about it though. it will never happen. bass pro is not run by the same class of doofuses that the city is run by. it looks like barnes and her cronies are just trying to get some votes. no one in their right mind is gonna go downtown to bass pro and bass pro knows that. if they do come to k.c. it will probably be in joco south.

inky