The Mango Room

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: The Mango Room

Post by tat2kc »

agreed, iggy. I had a very very nice watiress. But she really was not very good. She was pleasant, and tried her best, but she really was not very good. It was a wednesday night, and only one other couple was in there. A few people at the bar.  I hope they can last till the construction begins to wind down.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
swampranger
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by swampranger »

This was the second night Mango room started expanding their hours. They will now start staying open till midnight Fridays and Saturdays. They had a pretty good crowd near 11:00 tonight. Glad to see it happen. Give em some late night support if you have a chance.
"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-- Franklin Roosevelt
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

yes. their scallops are awesome as is the fried chicken! definitely give them your support!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I had dinner last night there myself.  I had my usual pork chop (delicious as always) while the rest of the gang had the flat bread  and shared another pork chop.  Several martinis made the rounds too.    We didn't know about the expanded hours.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I remember how dead that place used to be when it first opened. I would go there for the $.99 pbr draws thinking the place would never stay open. It's a hot spot now...
18th STreet
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Easter Jazz Brunch

Post by 18th STreet »

The Mango Room has had weekend jazz for the last 8 months.
For those downtown, they are featuring a fantastic Easter Jazz Brunch 11am-3pm Sunday.

http://www.kansascitymenus.com/mangoroom/easter.pdf
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Winsteads?

Post by Dr. Know »

I was in Cupini's yesterday and it wasn't very busy.  The Mango Room hasn't seemed very busy lately either.  Could be the weather. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I drove by the Mango Room Wednesday evening around 7 pm and it appeared to be closed.
There is no fifth destination.
Dr. Know
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Dr. Know »

Mango Room closed for good last night - so says one of the sub shop employees.                       
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Wow. :shock: :shock:

This is the first place that goes down that can't compete with Cordish.  It just goes to show that we need to continue to support small business in this town or we will become one giant city of chains. 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't think Mango Room has/had the right space for what they are trying to do. They'd be better off in an older building in Midtown, Xroads, or River Market. Maybe they could take over the old Peachtree. A sit-down jamaican restaurant at the crossroads of the CBD doesn't make the most sense.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Interesting that this place was always nonsmoking yet the nonsmokers who claim to go out in droves to support businesses with smoking bans didn't even support a place that was voluntarily nonsmoking all along.    :-k
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This makes me sad.  I even liked the name.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Ya, this is definitely bad news.  I don't think anyone can blame Cordish for stealing their business though; they were completely dead always well before P&L opened up.  I probably stop in once every six weeks and walk by often and kind of know the lady who runs (ran) the joint and if anything I'd say they had more traffic the last few months since Sprint center/P&L opened up.  Real shame; liked their martinis and was a great place for a not-so-crowded drink meetup.  Hate to see them go, and will miss the rice balls.  Hope this space doesn't sit empty for long...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think a Jamaican restaurant was the wrong idea for that corner.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

It seems sad that the push for a revitalized downtown business/entertainment district seems to involveshuttering downtown businesses that predate the prefab chains.  In theory, Power & Light is of course an awesome concept, but is it really going to revitalize downtown, or just those few blocks of downtown? 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Methinks a PB&J concept would work better in the space, something different than Grand St. Cafe but an above average casual dining place.  They also have competent, seasoned servers to rep KC better to hotel guests.

Am worried about Azul though.  Hope they aren't the next victim.  Think I'll visit soon as it would seem non-P&L places in the loop might need to depend on the urban core residents.  The hotels are going to send guests to P&L without mentioning other places downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I really don't think the amount of business was Mango's problem....before total closing they also had liquor license issues.  She stuck through what 2 years of business before Sprint/P&L and my periodic stops in there in the times they have been opened have shown more and more people everytime.  Especially since events at Sprint started happening.  Blaming P&L for every closing downtown is silly IMO.

Many more reasons places close except not enough business....not sure what it was here but I'm guessing it wasn't the amount of business.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Whatever reason, downtown has lost 3 businesses in the last week with the closings of Jilly's, Winsteads, and now the Mango Room.  I hope this is just a coincidence and not a sign of worse news to come.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

businesses will continue to close....not everything can make it, no matter how many of us live down here.  Just like any other part of the city.  I don't think it's signs of anything....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc