New Midtown Recycling Center Ideas

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
amaugh
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New Midtown Recycling Center Ideas

Post by amaugh »

I'm starting a new thread about this because the existing thread seems to be mostly about the Ice Building and the development in that area.  We need ideas for a new location for a recycling center in the area; I'm thinking anywhere in the central corridor would be ideal (downtown southward to about 63rd).  I've heard that maybe the midtown marketplace would be a possible candidate?  If anybody has any suggestions or thoughts please post them here.  With any luck someone who works for the city may see this thread and get some ideas, or at least recognize that there is still a demand for a recycling center in the Midtown area.
Coquette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: New Midtown Recycling Center Ideas

Post by Coquette »

Midtown Marketplace makes sense, of course, but I think the Valentine Shopping Center would be good. But it should accommodate a wide range of items.

It could probably use any traffic that came its way.

Definitely close enough to the upscale clientele that upgrades their computer monitors, uses pesticides to manage their lawn, or empties a Dewar's bottle from time to time.

Also close enough for the less well off to dispose of the remnants of their DIY projects, such as old paint, car batteries, or please, old tires.

And, it is in walking distance so the Hippies in apartments could drop off their organic shampoo bottles, old pitch magazines, and PBR cans.
Last edited by Coquette on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

east crossroads.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I've heard there's a tentative deal in place, but I don't wanna say where. But if they pull it off I think it'll be a great location.
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

On a somewhat related note, now that the spot at the Ice building is gone, does anyone know where you can take glass recycling? 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

NOLA wrote: On a somewhat related note, now that the spot at the Ice building is gone, does anyone know where you can take glass recycling? 
http://bridgingthegap.org/egap.php?id=114
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

NOLA wrote: On a somewhat related note, now that the spot at the Ice building is gone, does anyone know where you can take glass recycling?   
The facility on Deramus is at the intersection of Front Street and Choteau Trfwy.  I think it's actually faster to get there from DT than it was to get to the location on Troost.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

DiggityDawg wrote: I've heard there's a tentative deal in place, but I don't wanna say where. But if they pull it off I think it'll be a great location.

I'm curious, how central is this "great location"?  True midtown (like the Valentine shopping center) or more towards/into downtown (like the Crossroads), and when do "they" plan on changing this from a "tentative deal" to an in-stone deal?  Do you know what key things their decision hinge upon, if so, what are they? 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Please NOT Valentine shopping center.  That is too close to Roanoke and my family's house!  I don't think a recycling center can help but be a bit of an eyesore. 
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Oh, I see what you're saying.  That would kind of stink for people whose homes are right there. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

This is, of course, the reason that they are having such a hard time finding a new location and why the original replacement location near the Landing was closed down.  Whatever new location they select, it probably needs to be somewhere that is very industrial -- someplace like the West Bottoms.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

heatherkay wrote: It probably needs to be somewhere that is very industrial -- someplace like the West Bottoms.
Then how does that serve Midtown?  The West Bottoms isn't any closer than the Front Street recycling center.  The whole point is to have something *in* the neighborhood, not across town.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

east crossroads would be the least likely place to run into NIMBYs.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

dangerboy wrote: Then how does that serve Midtown?  The West Bottoms isn't any closer than the Front Street recycling center.  The whole point is to have something *in* the neighborhood, not across town.
Yeah, this is why Crossroads isn't a bad idea- it's not too far from The Plaza, Westport or Roanoke neighborhoods, and once you dump your recycleables off, there are so many nearby businesses that you'd actually want to go check out or dine in. 

Hmm.  I wonder if this is where "they" want to put it?   
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, I like the east crossroads area!
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Come on.  A recycling center need a relatively sizable surface lot.  With a fence and some cladding around it the NIMBY's should never have a problem.  In the nearly six years I have visited the centers I have never once experienced an unreasobale amount of noise or a smell. 

Midtown Station would be great.  I have never once seen the Home Depot lot even 1/2 full. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Naa, I still don't want it in midtown...If it had to be, Midtown Station is better than Valentine though.  That lot is just too small and next to nice houses.  We are having enough trouble w/ the way things are going along Broadway etc.  A recycle center w/ a big blank fence along Valentine Blvd isn't what I'm hoping for.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I vote...Home Depot, or maybe, Science city lots.. maybe show how things are actually recycled?
P&L Free since 2008
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

alpha_glamourina wrote:  
I'm curious, how central is this "great location"?  True midtown (like the Valentine shopping center) or more towards/into downtown (like the Crossroads), and when do "they" plan on changing this from a "tentative deal" to an in-stone deal?  Do you know what key things their decision hinge upon, if so, what are they?
They're "hopeful" the plan gets accepted in the next month or so. The location would be very much Midtown. All I can say is that it's in a place that pretty much everyone on this board hates. lol.

Sorry I'm being so secretive, but the guy who told me was in "I shouldn't be telling you this" mode.
amaugh
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by amaugh »

DiggityDawg wrote: All I can say is that it's in a place that pretty much everyone on this board hates.
I think I know exactly where you are talking about.