Gutted apartment building ... WTF?

Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Cyburbia »

Being relatively new to KC, I'm struck by the deporessing sight of a gutted high-rise apartment building just south of I-35 from the River Market area. I couldn't find any information about the building online. Anyone have any details?
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This one?

That would be Vista Del Rio. It used to be apartments but was bought and started a conversion to a Sheraton hotel. Half way through (about) the conversation, the developer ran out of cash and pretty much left the city. This is what we're left with.

The city wants to tear it down if there isn't any interest (there has been some people wanting to still buy it to restart the conversion) they will implode it. Problem is I think they said it would cost like $2M to implode it.

It is a HUGE eyesore that hopefully something will happen with it soon....still hoping for a developer to come in and finish the job.

http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Cyburbia »

That's the one! Thanks for the rundown.

Implode the puppy. There's historic buildings downtown that are far better candidates for adaptive reuse than this 1970s blight.
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

It definitely leaves a negative image for tourists and business travelers to see that building gutted and empty. KC, do you have a pic of what the building originally looked like? I've lived in KC for about 6 years, but I can't recall what it looked like prior to being gutted....just wondering.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't have one...Gridlock might.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMatt
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCMatt »

at the last downtown development meeting, Vicki Noteis(the city development director) said that the developer they had in line for the building had just pulled off the project. Because of the size of the building and expensive aspestos removal, the city said that they cannot afford to tear it down themselves

I dont know a whole lot about structures, but the amount of winters that the frame of that building has gone through cannot be good for the integrity of the concrete supports

any architects on line that could explain any problems of having structural support exposed to the elements for so long, freeze-thaw-etc...
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:It definitely leaves a negative image for tourists and business travelers to see that building gutted and empty. KC, do you have a pic of what the building originally looked like? I've lived in KC for about 6 years, but I can't recall what it looked like prior to being gutted....just wondering.
I think it looked pretty similar to the other high rise apartment buildings nearby, the Pinnacle and the University Club.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Any Idea who the owner is? Could we light a fire under him/her/them to do somthing?
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

A lot of people call it "The Sarajevo Building" or "The Beirut Building"
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I sorta like the nitty gritty edge of it but would rather see it developed. I'll bet when downtown becomes too polished someday, we'll be seeking ruins like this.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Nothing here compares to the Ruins of Detroit:
http://detroityes.com/index.html
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I've heard that a number of homeless people that have taken up residence in there before have fallen to their deaths. This building is a menace, and it needs to be removed.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

I found this one, probably from the early 90's.

SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Vista, What a shame.

I am speachless looking at the Detroit web page. It is amazing what has happened to their city. But, one Vista doesn't seem so bad after seeing that.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Anybody read the Business Journal this week? I will try and post the text when they put it on thier website.

It says that a group has come forward and wants to turn the building into condos. Says the group is serious but have some hurdles to overcome. I really hope this happens as this building is a total eyesore yet I would rather it be saved then demolished.
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Awsome!!!!
I wonder if they are going to keep the Vista name. It is kinda dated. Pinacle and University Tower are ok names... But what university is the latter refering to?
SonicBoi
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

SonicBoi wrote:But what university is the latter refering to?
The University of Health Sciences, an osteopathic medical school on Independence Avenue, just east of The Paseo. It was also the namesake for the old University Hospital across the street, which was recently renovated into apartments after a long dormancy.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Here is the article...

kckid
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kckid »

This is truly outstanding news. Living in the River Market, I can't express to you what an eyesore that thing is. Here's to hoping...... :D
"Sammy, its a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear."
-Norm from "Cheers"
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

I guess that makes sence. It just seems kinda far away. Awsome progress for Century Towers. I was cnsidering moving in there. Great news for Vista. Lets all keep our fingers crossed for this one.
dangerboy wrote:
SonicBoi wrote:But what university is the latter refering to?
The University of Health Sciences, an osteopathic medical school on Independence Avenue, just east of The Paseo. It was also the namesake for the old University Hospital across the street, which was recently renovated into apartments after a long dormancy.
SonicBoi