OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL: Zona Rosa (tenants & phase II)

Post by shaffe »

supastudio wrote: Can someone explain to me why some people want Zona Rosa to fail?  And since I'm asking about Zona, same thing goes for the Legends. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to shop there: too far, no shops or restaurants that appeal to you. But just to see a place fail because its a " strip mall dressed up to be something it wasn't" or just because it was in suburbia. 

Do you want Zona to fail or you just think it will fail?

sorry, i thought i laid it on thick enough i didn't need the &.  i don't want zona to fail at all, although i do wish it was designed a little better from a traffic flow perspective - but that's another issue alltogether.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: I doubt anyone here wants Zona to fail. That would mean a lot of bad things for a lot of people not the least of which would be job losses. Legends, I can't really speak about.

My contention is that if/when the economy tanks a bit, places like Zona will have a really hard time surviving. They don't have enough diversity in their stores and they are made to appeal to the middle to upper financial classes who have more disposable income. Those are the people an economic downturn will affect most. JMHO.
Huh?

ZR has Marshall's, CVS, Forever 21, Dillard's, Old Navy in addition to higher end places like Sharper Image, Cache, Hereford House. The next phase is going to be geared towards towards females 20 and older. ZR could become one of the most well-rounded shopping centers in the Midwest when they complete with phase II.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

trailerkid wrote: Huh?

ZR has Marshall's, CVS, Forever 21, Dillard's, Old Navy in addition to higher end places like Sharper Image, Cache, Hereford House. The next phase is going to be geared towards towards females 20 and older. ZR could become one of the most well-rounded shopping centers in the Midwest when they complete with phase II.
Time will tell.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

nota wrote: Time will tell.
Why do you care?  Of all people that are negative towards zona rosa, one would think somebody that "used" to live in Platte County would be somewhat excited that parts of the Northland are now more than hick suburbs where people that work at Ford and Harley live.  I think ZR has been great for KCMO and the Northland.  If it were not for the developers that "wanted" to build that, it would just be another power center strip mall.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

GRID wrote: Why do you care?  Of all people that are negative towards zona rosa, one would think somebody that "used" to live in Platte County would be somewhat excited that parts of the Northland are now more than hick suburbs where people that work at Ford and Harley live.  I think ZR has been great for KCMO and the Northland.  If it were not for the developers that "wanted" to build that, it would just be another power center strip mall.
Economic downturns are hard on everyone and it isn't just ZR. However, I dont' think that factory workers are hicks either.

I'm concerned about the economy, not any specific center.
KCJason
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCJason »

Old Navy's soft opening is Wednesday (Feb 13) from 6-9.  The Grand Opening is Thursday morning.
Check out my new blog at http://kcnorthland.blogspot.com
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCJason wrote: Old Navy's soft opening is Wednesday (Feb 13) from 6-9.  The Grand Opening is Thursday morning.
Are they having a "soft closing" for their old nearby store or did they just abandon it? Or neither?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

i think it's already been abandoned.  i drove by it friday night after grocery shopping and the sign was gone.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I hope neither of their buildings were TIF'ed
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Banana Republic will open a store at ZR. It's a done deal according to someone who is a manager in KC.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

I've heard that too. I think it's pretty safe to say it's coming. Every other shopping center in KC has it, lets build another one! None of these stores are exclusive anymore. Forever 21 had one location in Zona 4 years ago and now they have one in the Legends and OP.

I did hear about a lot of tenants rumored to be in negotiations though, Arden B, Benetton, H&M, White House Black Market, Bebe, Ruehl, J Crew, Coach, Cheesecake Factory.....don't know if these are reliable, but I looked at other Steiner developments and most of them have these labels, so anything can happen
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I went to Zona Rosa last Saturday to kill some time before my I went to see the Movie "Stop-Loss" at the Barry woods AMC theater.

I lot has happed since the last time I have been there.

I will have to say that I am very disapointed with the construction of the Old Navy and the cheap materials pallet they used. Barnes and Noble features all brick with stone and iron accents. The Dicks building is about 2/3rds brick. And then they stick in Old Navy's store made of cinder blocks with a cheap stucco finish. Why would they do that? Has brick gotten too expensive? because it totally ruins the upscale feel of that section.

Also interesting to note that the Sharper Image was hosting it's going out of business sale.

I saw an awful lot of vacant store fronts in phase one, makes me wonder what kind of stores they will be able to recruit for phase two.

Sad to see that the former Old Navy at Barry Roads is still vacant. I just heard that they filled the old Dicks over by Metro North with a Dave and Barry's. That is good news that they don't have another vaccant big box but I don't know what Barry Woods is going to do with that Old Old Navy. I can't think of any other Big Box Retailers that don't already of a presence in the Northland.
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Wow.  You sure do spend a lot of time in KCMO.
KC is the way to be!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wow.  You sure do spend a lot of time in KCMO.
Well hey we are "One KC". I don't like to go to the same place over and over. I much rather venture out to other parts of the Metro and see what's new and get a change of scenery.

You might find me at Legends, Power and Light, and who knows may be even Blue Springs all in the same weekend. I have friends all over the KC metro. I am a nice guy and I like to make friends, I don't discriminate against people based on where they live and I hope other people don't do that either. People are people where ever you go.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

You might find me at Legends, Power and Light, and who knows may be even Blue Springs all in the same weekend.
you might find him at envy on some weekends. :wink:
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

justin8216 wrote: You might find me at Legends, Power and Light, and who knows may be even Blue Springs all in the same weekend. I have friends all over the KC metro. I am a nice guy and I like to make friends, I don't discriminate against people based on where they live and I hope other people don't do that either. People are people where ever you go.
Very nicely put!    =D>
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

justin8216 wrote: I went to Zona Rosa last Saturday to kill some time before my I went to see the Movie "Stop-Loss" at the Barry woods AMC theater.

I lot has happed since the last time I have been there.

I will have to say that I am very disapointed with the construction of the Old Navy and the cheap materials pallet they used. Barnes and Noble features all brick with stone and iron accents. The Dicks building is about 2/3rds brick. And then they stick in Old Navy's store made of cinder blocks with a cheap stucco finish. Why would they do that? Has brick gotten too expensive? because it totally ruins the upscale feel of that section.

Also interesting to note that the Sharper Image was hosting it's going out of business sale.

I saw an awful lot of vacant store fronts in phase one, makes me wonder what kind of stores they will be able to recruit for phase two.

Sad to see that the former Old Navy at Barry Roads is still vacant. I just heard that they filled the old Dicks over by Metro North with a Dave and Barry's. That is good news that they don't have another vaccant big box but I don't know what Barry Woods is going to do with that Old Old Navy. I can't think of any other Big Box Retailers that don't already of a presence in the Northland.
Considering how much retail has been added to the northland, I'm pretty impressed by the "lack" of empty space up there and with several massive shopping centers under construction or planned, it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Is that the only sharper image closing in KC?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Is that the only sharper image closing in KC?
The only store listed for Missouri or KS is the Plaza. There was/is also a store in Leawood. Very weak indictment of Zona Rosa...
Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mizzou05 »

This is why

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Retailer Sharper Image Corp has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing declining sales, three straight years of losses and litigation involving its Ionic Breeze air purifiers.

The San Francisco-based company filed for protection late Tuesday in U.S. bankruptcy court in Wilmington, Delaware. Sharper Image said it had $251.5 million in assets and $199 million in debt as of January 31, according to the filing. Cash on hand totaled about $700,000.

Its shares plunged 92 cents, or 64 percent, to 52 cents on Nasdaq.

"Sharper Image is in a severe liquidity crisis," Chief Financial Officer Rebecca Roedell said in a separate filing
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Justin, you promised us you never post in the KCMO threads!