Pad site
Pad site

Site chosen for new major hosptital

Post by The Summit »

HCA selects hospital site

One facility at 39th and Selsa would replace city's two existing hospitals

By Ben Embry
The Examiner
HCA officials have narrowed their property search for a new hospital to replace Independence Regional Health Center and the Medical Center of Independence down to a site in southeast Independence.

Although the deal has not been finalized, according to HCA officials, the plot of land is 80 acres on the northwest corner of 39th Street and Selsa Road in Independence, where the Glendale Station development had been planned.

"We are very excited about the opportunity to have a full-service, tertiary facility located at one central location for the physicians and residents of Eastern Jackson County and surrounding areas," said Mike Chappelow, president/CEO of IRHC and MCI.

HCA announced last month that it was looking at several sites in Independence for a replacement hospital but nothing had been confirmed until Wednesday.

According to HCA officials, both hospitals will remain open until the new facility is complete, which is likely to take two to three years.

Angela Connelly, director of public relations, said HCA had not made any decisions about the future of either existing hospital once the new facility is in operation.

But, as The Examiner reported last month, a new hospital would mean complete consolidation for staff and patients, prompting speculation that a consolidation would mean layoffs.

"The goal is to get all the services together in one central location where our patients can go for their medical needs," Connelly said.

That means trauma center services, now at Independence Regional, and the maternity ward, currently at MCI, would be in one place. It also means HCA could eliminate duplications in administration, equipment and supplies.

Nurses United, a union group representing nurses at several HCA hospitals, including MCI, has not taken a position on a new hospital. Julie Ginther, Nurses United coordinator, said the the group's concerns remain the same whether a new hospital was built or not.

"Our hope, as patient advocates, is the community getting patient-care services that it needs," she said, adding that the union had not heard any news that there would be staff cuts.

"We can't even imagine that they would consider fewer nurses on the floor," she said.

Independence Regional staffs 200 doctors and has about 1,000 employees serving 363 inpatient beds and outpatient services. MCI is slightly smaller with 200 physicians and 600 employees serving 182 beds and outpatients.

The hospitals were purchased by Nashville, Tenn.-based HCA in April, along with 10 other area hospitals formerly operated by Health Midwest. During the purchase talks, HCA officials said they might consider building a new hospital in the area but had no solid plans.

The sales deal required that any new facility had to be located within 8 miles of the existing hospitals.

To reach Ben Embry, send e-mail to ben.embry@examiner.net or call him at 350-6323.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Too bad they are moving it to the southeast corner of the city. It will be more convenient for the whole of Eastern Jax, but it will be bad for western Independence to lose a major hospital and a big employer. I was hoping for something on Noland Road or near the Square. I can understand them wanting to be nearer to the growth in eastern Indep., but it puts them closer to big competitors in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit, and leaves a big void in central Jackson County between Downtown KCMO and Hwy 291.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

Well, eastern Indep is more a part of Blue Springs or Lee's Summit than Independence. Northern Indep has some of the lowest income levels in the metro area. There is no way that Independence supports all that high end development around the mall. Most of the traffic to that area is from Blue Springs and LS (and southern Indep). Independence needs to continue to capitalize on that development boom out east and then that will help it restore it's older areas. Plus that is just they way it is now. All the big new hospitals are in the suburbs or urban core, the ones in the outer urban core and inner suburbs are gone.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

With over 100,000 people Independence is by far the biggest chunk of eastern Jackson County. Yes it has very poor areas, but it also has million dollar mansions in the rural eastern section. It's a very diverse city. Putting the hospital near I-70 and Noland would still make it very accessible to Blue Springs and points east. But most people in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit use their own hospitals, not the Independence hospitals. Lee's Summit will soon have two hospitals, so there won't be much need for them to travel to Independence except for more advanced needs not met at the community hospitals.

Plus, this is going to be a big blow to the Independence School District, as the new site is in the Blue Springs School District. The Indep. district is going to lose a lot of tax revenue when the two existing hospitals close. And HCA isn't likely to do much to redevelop those sites, so the surrounding areas will probably be dragged down as well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The new hospital is moving along, looks like it will be about seven storys:

Posted on Fri, Apr. 09, 2004

Independence hospital proposal sent to state

By JULIUS A. KARASH

The Kansas City Star

HCA Midwest Division has taken another step toward developing a new hospital in Independence by filing a letter of intent with the state of Missouri.

The hospital comes with an estimated price tag of $250 million, including land costs, making it the biggest project HCA Midwest has announced since buying the Health Midwest hospital system a year ago.

The 257-bed hospital would replace Independence Regional Health Center and Medical Center of Independence, both of which are owned by HCA Midwest. The new hospital will be called Independence Regional Medical Center. HCA officials are exploring other possible uses for the two existing facilities.

“Feedback from community leaders and residents has been largely positive regarding our plans,â€
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't like the way HCA is doing things. I would rather see expansions and new facilities built in central locations. Just because a hospital is in the middle of the city does not mean it has to be "ghetto."

But they, after all, are a business and think they are putting their best foot forward with a new facility out in the 'burbs. These hospital developments remind me of malls. They put up a sparkling new mall on the edge of town and the ones closer to the city shut down and become blighted. Is there TIF money involved in this because there is no possible reason why there should be.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

But at the same time that area of KC needs a new, modern hosptital.

I agree, there should be no tax breaks, but that area is going to need some major infrastructure upgrades so we shall see.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The site isn't central within Independence, but it is at the geographic center of Jackson County, and the population center Eastern Jack. It will keep HCA competative with St. Mary's in Blue Springs. Although this is a lost opportunity for some major redevelopment in an area like Noland Road or on the Square. It will also be a big blow to the Independence School District, which will lose two big tax generators (the new site is in the Blue Springs School District).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Closing those two hospitals sucks, but East Jack needs a new, modern, regional hospital. I just hope they re-use the old ones and don't just let them rot.

New rendering:

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Cool rendering, looks like it will be a great facililty. I just hope it's not too late for the community to persuade HCA to move it further west. Or maybe remake Indep. Regional as a smaller community hospital to complement the new regional facility. Perhaps this will leave an opening for St. Luke's to persuade the state to finally get an Independence location.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Has anybody been following this? I don't get why Independence would not want a new, major, modern hospital.

Find a good use for the old ones, but get a decent hospital in Independence and believe it or not, 291 & 39 will be the "center" of Independence in only a few years.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It shouldn't be a surprise that Independence is reluctant to close two hospitals and replace them with one facility that is essentially geared towards residents of Lee's Summit and Blue Springs. A city of 100,000 can and should support two hospitals, for example a major regional center and a smaller community hospital.

Besides, most people do support the new facility, just not so far east.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

As someone who was born at The San and a former employee of both MCI and St. Marys (Blue Springs), I'm completely against the new hospital at the proposed location. I wouldn't mind it so much if he two existing hospitals were being closed to merge into a brand new first rate facility in western or central Independence. But this new location does not benefitt the community, it only benfits corporate greed by attempting to crowd out competing hospitals already serving in that area. How else can you explain taking hospital care out off the neighborhoods that need it most (and also happen to be poor) and moving it to an area already saturated with medical care (and rich). The site is only just barely inside Independence and like all the other development in that area is in the Blue Springs School Disrict. Which benefits Blue Spring's largest employer, sure, but at the expense of Blue Spring's 2nd or 3rd larges emplyer (St. Mary's).

Lately the corporate machine that is HCA has taken to having its own employees at the hospital write letters-to-the-editor to the local papers in support of the plan that all regurgitate the same corporate dogma.

The whole things just reeks. It doesn't even affect me and it has me all riled up.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't know much about it and I agree that closing the two hospitals seems a little odd leaving such a large population (downtown-291)without a hospital.

But at the same time, they need a new modern hospital in that area of town. The old hospitals are nearly as "east" as the proposed one, St Mary's is way out and both LS hospitals are way out south. I do agree, a town of 120,000, plus nearby areas of east KCMO, Raytown, etc They should easily be able to support two hospitals.