Prefab Detached Garage

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Prefab Detached Garage

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm looking to add a detached garage to my house.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a good prefabricated garage that would look somewhat historic but not too expensive.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Prefab Detached Garage

Post by anniewarbucks »

You could always go down to The Home Depot and get a set of plans and modify them to achieve the look you are looking for.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

beautyfromashes wrote: I'm looking to add a detached garage to my house.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a good prefabricated garage that would look somewhat historic but not too expensive.
For what you're looking for, I don't think you'll find a cheap prefabbed garage. I think you might have to start from scratch. Let me know how it goes though.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sutherlands seems to be the out building kings
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

"Prefab" and "historic" are probably mutually exclusive requirements.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

grovester wrote: Sutherlands seems to be the out building kings
I do know they make coming home "maintenance free"  :D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Have it pre-fab framed and then put up pre-cut sheets of wood-shingle-style siding, and trim, and it will fit with most older house styles.

http://www.horizonstructures.com/bb_garages.asp
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no fifth destination.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

dangerboy wrote: "Prefab" and "historic" are probably mutually exclusive requirements.
Not really.

The First Butler Building
In 1909 Emanuel Norquist needed to shelter the Metz automobile he was about to finish assembling. His brother, Victor, decided to construct a small garage. Using the materials he knew best, he designed and built an all-steel framework to which were bolted corrugated galvanized-steel culvert sheets that gave the garage an arched roof and lasting strength. Butler Manufacturing Company recognized growing demand from the public for sturdy garages. So this design was modified to be more cost effective, and by 1910 the first Butler® building was sold to corporate secretary Fred Rufi. That first building was used in central Kansas City for more than 45 years. When Butler introduced a sturdy two-car version of the garage, the market response was immediate, and Butler Manufacturing Company was in the building business for keeps.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

beautyfromashes wrote: I'm looking to add a detached garage to my house.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a good prefabricated garage that would look somewhat historic but not too expensive.
Try Tuff Shed (www.tuffshed.com/products_models.cfm?CategoryID=G). Their local office is in Lenexa. I bought a shed from them a few years ago and was very happy with the price and quality. Just make sure that you or they can add some details to their base product to get the historic look you want.