What to do in Denver?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

Well a little late but anybody got any last minute suggestions for what to do in Denver? We're heading out tomorrow after lunch to watch the Royals/Rockies series....Friday & Saturday games.....we're staying downtown..

Done the brewery tours...got anything else to do in Denver? I'll try to catch some pictures of the 16th street mall...things I'd like to see here for an example....

Let me know what else to hit.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCgridlock »

Well come to think of it ????

Denver has less to do than KC, don't tell that to the Denver forumers (on ssp).

I would just walk the Downtown. There are a lot of clubs and resturaunts along the 16th St Mall in into the LoDo area. Or just walk around the trails that follow the river and take in all the new lofts and condos. It's a real cool city to bike in, but I don't think you are into that. I hear Union Station in open, not much there, but would be interesting to visit. Could go to Six Flags I suppose and the Aquarium is cool if it's still open. The US Mint is cool but may be closed on weekends. 16th Mall seems to close at business hours, but LoDo keeps hopping espesially with a game going on. ESPN Zone is cool too.

I don't know, I would just take the wife, the camera and start walking, everything is in a pretty compact area. I would ride the light rail too just for kicks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah we're going with a crew of 8 so I'm doing my best to just walk around the city......we went like 2 years ago and did the 16th street mall / Lodo walk around...I'm sure that's what we'll end up doing again...

not sure we'll have time to do much organized stuff....getting there Fri. afternoon, game that night (sitting in low LF out in HR territory, so watch for Royals fans out there, only 3 of us that night), then going out to Lodo, repeat on Saturday, drive home on Sunday.

I'd like to ride the rail but there's seems to be built much more for residential use than visitor use (which is fine with me) but I don't think I can get the crew to jump the rail with me....maybe I'll venture out on my own.

The digital camera will be popping.....see how many come out.....

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

What to do in Denver?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCgridlock wrote:I suppose and the Aquarium is cool if it's still open.
Why would Ocean Journey be closed? That's a quality aquarium, far better than the one across from Cincinatti.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

Ocean Journey was closed last year for awhile for financial problems...I think it reopened with corporate donations.

Aquariums are so 90's...I sincerely hope KC doesn't go after one.

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

What to do in Denver?

Post by DanCa »

I used to live in Denver, close to City Park just east of downtown (take 17th St.) That's where the zoo is (fairly decent zoo) and a museum on Colorado Blvd. Also nice views of the Front Range and skyline.

Take a trip up into the mountains. That's something you can't do in KC. And enjoy eating at the many outdoor cafes without the bugs and humidity. Cherry Creek has nice restaurants - many with outdoor dining.

I just checked Denver's weather and it looks pretty crappy this week. Usually by this time of year it's in the 80s and sunny. How odd. But normal weather would be abnormal for Denver.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah weather isn't going to be the greatest.....What is Cherry Creek? Like an inner suburb?

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

What to do in Denver?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:Ocean Journey was closed last year for awhile for financial problems...I think it reopened with corporate donations.

Aquariums are so 90's...I sincerely hope KC doesn't go after one.
It cost $21 a ticket to get into Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and that doesn't even include the price for shows, but still that place was packed this past weekend! I also stood in a long ass line to get into the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans last August. They offer a riverboat cruise from the Aquarium to the Audubon Zoo. If Aquariums are 90s, than Zoos are 70s. I think you either enjoy animals or not and I'd love to see a Great Rivers of the World Aquarium built in riverfront park someday.

Unfortunately, attendance at museums, zoos, aquariums, historical attractions, amusement parks, etc. are down throughout the country. We blame it on the economy, but I blame it on all the restaurants and movie theaters that have created an obese nation that would rather sit, eat and watch television, movies or play video games than actually get off their butts and walk around somewhere educational or entertaining.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

That's true...hey if they want to build it, I'm not going to protest....I'm for about anything, I'd just like to see us dream up something new rather than follow in the footsteps of neighboring cities...I think aquariums are overbuilt...there seems to be one in every city now.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

What to do in Denver?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:That's true...hey if they want to build it, I'm not going to protest....I'm for about anything, I'd just like to see us dream up something new rather than follow in the footsteps of neighboring cities...I think aquariums are overbuilt...there seems to be one in every city now.
There's a zoo, art museum, performing arts center, botanical gardens and so on in other cities as well. Some are jus' more impressive than others. KC's aquarium idea was original because it was only going to focus on animals that live in the great rivers of the world, and not the oceans. It would showcase four major rivers of the world which include the Amazon-Orinoco, Congo, Missouri-Mississippi and the Columbia Rivers.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

very true....maybe I'm just turned off by the idea since we've heard about it for so long....I like the idea of the river theme

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

What to do in Denver?

Post by DanCa »

Cherry Creek is Denver's answer to the Plaza - minus the Spanish architecture. That's where the snooty stores are located. It's located maybe 3 miles SE of downtown. Take Speer Blvd. southwest and it turns into 1st. St and you'll be in the middle of Cherry Creek. There's also a high-end mall there. It's no Plaza, but a nice area to visit anyway. They have a nice art fair also. I think it's usually in June.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

What to do in Denver?

Post by KCPowercat »

Just got back.....u/l pictures and give a report tomorrow night hopefully....too tired tonight.

homewardbound
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: What to do in Denver?

Post by homewardbound »

I lived in Denver for a summer and found Washington Park to be a great destination for outdoor R&R.  There are a bunch of great restaurants and shops within walking distance... Hemingway's was a favorite. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

They have the new Libeskind art museum as well as a couple of other smaller art museum that are new...if that's your kind of thing.  It is def mine!

Libeskind

Contemporary art
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Going to Denver to visit some friends and see hip-hop this weekend.

Any suggestions for eats or places to see that are interesting or unique? I'm afraid that Denver will be chain coffee shops, Whole Foods, and Chipotle everywhere-- not a bad thing, but I want something more unique.

I enjoy Dixon's Chili Parlor, Portland, W 39th, Ssion, dissection of urban areas, the 70s, old StL/Chicago mixed use neighborhoods, Music Exchange, the 80s, the daytime lineup on the local CW affiliate and the commercials that go with the shows, and the early 90s Chicago music scene.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

trailerkid wrote: I'm afraid that Denver will be chain coffee shops, Whole Foods, and Chipotle everywhere-- not a bad thing, but I want something more unique.
Denver is pretty unique in and of itself.
KC is the way to be!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

AllThingsKC wrote: Denver is pretty unique in and of itself.
Examples please.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

trailerkid wrote: Examples please.
Example #1:  Go to Denver.

Example #2:  Go to Downtown Denver.

If you do those 2 things, you will not be disappointed.  Oh, and go to Downtown Golden, Colorado too.

(Actually, I'm really bad at giving examples because I don't remember any of the names of the unique places I went to in Downtown Denver.  So my advice literly is just go to Downtown Denver and walk around until you see some place you might like.)
KC is the way to be!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

AllThingsKC wrote: Example #1:  Go to Denver.

Example #2:  Go to Downtown Denver.

If you do those 2 things, you will not be disappointed.  Oh, and go to Downtown Golden, Colorado too.

(Actually, I'm really bad at giving examples because I don't remember any of the names of the unique places I went to in Downtown Denver.  So my advice literly is just go to Downtown Denver and walk around until you see some place you might like.)
I've walked around a few of the nicer, modern downtowns. I don't really have any aesthetic interest in downtown denver from what I've seen. I'm looking for some level of insider specificity (e.g. there's a crazy breakfast place on XXX Ave or XXX has good local bands playing).