KC firms win bid to build Omaha's Missouri River pedestrian bridge

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

KC firms win bid to build Omaha's Missouri River pedestrian bridge

Post by eomaha.com »

Finally... this is moving forward.

Mayor chooses bridge design

Construction could begin this fall on the 200-foot-tall twin spires to suspend the long-delayed pedestrian bridge over the Missouri River.

More than nine years after the idea first surfaced, six years after federal funding was secured and two years after the original plan collapsed due to finances, Mayor Mike Fahey selected a team to build the 3,000-foot span.

"It has been a long journey with its share of advancements and setbacks to get to this point," Fahey said in making his selection from among the three proposals.

The $22 million span will connect nearly 150 miles of bike and pedestrian paths that stretch from south of Blair through Council Bluffs and Iowa to the Missouri border.

An aggressive construction schedule sets a completion date for November 2008 for the span that will sparkle at night as part of the Omaha skyline. Federal permits and environmental studies must be completed before construction crews can begin work.

From the beginning, the bridge sparked debate over whether the project, which is largely funded with federal money, is a proper expenditure or a classic example of a pork-barrel project. The project also will receive some state and private funds.

Fahey and Council Bluffs Mayor Tom Hanafan said today that the completed bridge will win over doubters and be an important architectural addition to the riverfront.

"I can assure residents of Omaha and Council Bluffs that upon completion, this bridge will be the icon that we have been looking for over the past few years," Fahey said.

Hanafan said the bridge will be "an economic development tool for all of us."

Bicycle enthusiasts predict the bridge will be an attraction for "bicyclists from around the world," Hanafan said.

Two Kansas City area firms were selected for the project. HNTB of Kansas City, Mo., is the designer and APAC of Kansas City, Kan., is the general contractor. The team was selected partly because of its joint experience with cable-stay suspension bridges in Milwaukee, Wichita, Kan., and Boston.

After the original plan produced bids at more than double the anticipated cost in 2004, the city began to look for a way to build the span without using local tax revenues. Instead of seeking bids for a predetermined design, the city asked for a design-build proposal in which teams propose a design and promise to build it for a set price.

The delays were expensive. More than $4 million has already been spent.

Fahey said he and Hanafan are close to reaching their target of $5 million in financing from private foundations, corporations and individuals.

They already have commitments for about $3.5 million, Fahey said, and he is confident additional commitments will be in hand when the final contract goes before the City Council in June.

In making his pick, Fahey stayed close to the original plan for a curved suspension bridge from a plaza north of the National Park Service building to a landing on the levee in Council Bluffs.

John K. Green, a citizen member of the review committee, said the committee chose this design because its two towers best served to symbolize the partnership between the two states and two cities.

That is one reason the two-tower idea was superior to a proposal to use an arch to suspend the bridge over the river. The HNTB design also took the Iowa landing all the way to the levee, making it more beneficial to Council Bluffs, Green said.

Hanafan said the Bluffs is counting on the bridge to stimulate the kind of development along the Iowa riverfront that has occurred in Nebraska.

In 1997, Hanafan stood with then-Mayor Hal Daub and then-U.S. Sen. Bob Kerrey as they launched the back-to-the-river concept. At that time, Hanafan said, the Asarco battery plant stood where Rick's Café Boatyard now is, the old Union Pacific shops lay vacant and a junkyard greeted travelers coming from Eppley Airfield to downtown Omaha.
Cost: $22 million

Winning design team: Designer, HNTB Corp. of Kansas City, Mo.; builder, APAC-Kansas City, Kansas City, Kan.

Design: The curved bridge will span 3,000 feet across the Missouri River. The bridge will have two 200-foot spires and will be lighted at night.

Uses: City officials hope that bicyclists and pedestrians will use the bridge to access 150 miles of trails on the Iowa and Nebraska sides of the river. They also hope it will be a destination along the riverfront.

And a recent photo of the first phase of construction of the highrise and rowhouse condominiums (Riverfront Place) visible in the renderings above...

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KC firms win bid to build Omaha's Missouri River pedestrian bridge

Post by kard »

In KC we can't even get MODOT to add a ped/bike lane to a vehicular bridge...  :cry:
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
JJack_44
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JJack_44 »

I think the best part of the project is the new 11 story condos right next to the bridge, It will look good right next to the river. DTO is really starting to come around.

HOLY CROSS FALCONS!!!

Yeah, thats right, I am 13
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

This is the one I wanted them to pick. I'm so glad this will FINALLY get going. The 2008 completion date will have it up in time to be on tv for the CWS, NCAA tourneys, and the Olympic Trials.  :D :D :D :D
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

JJack_44 wrote: I think the best part of the project is the new 11 story condos right next to the bridge, It will look good right next to the river. DTO is really starting to come around.
13 stories.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Make that the tallest 13 story, riverfront, residential tower... between Minneapolis and Denver!  ;)
JJack_44
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JJack_44 »

eomaha.com wrote: Make that the tallest 13 story, riverfront, residential tower... between Minneapolis and Denver!  ;)
DTO wrote: 13 stories.
Sorry about the 11 thing and for Eomaha......RIGHT ON!

HOLY CROSS FALCONS!!!

Yeah, thats right, I am 13
brad_in_omaha
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brad_in_omaha »

Photo Update from the GROUND AND AIR

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Nice.  Thanks for sharing!
KC is the way to be!
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10432381

The bridge has been dedicated and will open in two weeks.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Lighting ceremony last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Z-rViX1I0
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

$18 million federal earmark for a pedestrian only bridge in Omaha?

:puke:

Don't care how nice it is. What a waste of my tax dollars.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Cool bridge.  Great video, with the banjos and all.  It seems like this is a pretty important bridge, with the 4th of July fireworks and all.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

$18 million federal earmark for a pedestrian only bridge in Omaha?
Eh, from KC to Wasilla... everyone's getting something.  I'm more than happy to see some of your tax dollars come to Omaha. Thanks for that.  That Paseo bridge of yours makes our bridge look like... well, a little pedestrian bridge.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

great looking bridge, thanks for the updates eomaha.  I'd love to see something like this here, actually.  Nice modern design, and I'm sure it will contribute greatly to use of and appreciation for the river in Omaha.  DTO is really coming along, I must say.
are we spinning free?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

eomaha.com wrote: Eh, from KC to Wasilla... everyone's getting something.  I'm more than happy to see some of your tax dollars come to Omaha. Thanks for that.  That Paseo bridge of yours makes our bridge look like... well, a little pedestrian bridge.

Yes, but our Paseo Bridge will carry cars, and trucks that carry goods, as well as people on foot and bike. Not to mention it is the only north/south interstate between St. Louis and Denver. So it's important on a national level. I don't think you could say the same about your $20 Million foot bridge.

That said, much of the cost of the Paseo bridge is a complete waste of money. There is no reason it couldn't have been built with twice the capacity at half the cost, in a third of the time, by using a standard slab style highway structure. Not everything has to be iconic.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

You don't think these earmarks stop at bridges do you ?  Trust me, Kansas City is getting it's 'fair share' of federal money.  I'm just ecstatic that some of it went to something which I can use and enjoy.  Some how I doubt you guys would be too unhappy about having such a pedestrian bridge down your way either.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

eomaha.com wrote: You don't think these earmarks stop at bridges do you ?  Trust me, Kansas City is getting it's 'fair share' of federal money.  I'm just ecstatic that some of it went to something which I can use and enjoy.  Some how I doubt you guys would be too unhappy about having such a pedestrian bridge down your way either.
Then you don't know me very well. We have to start fixing this budget one dollar at a time. That's a lesson your buddy Warren Buffet would be happy to teach all of us. Every penny counts.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Trust me, Kansas City is getting it's 'fair share' of federal money.  [/quote]

Actually no - Missouri is a strong "doner" state to the federal budget.  And what little money does make it here usually winds up on the eastern half of the state - especially for transportation. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Actually no - Missouri is a strong "doner" state to the federal budget.  And what little money does make it here usually winds up on the eastern half of the state - especially for transportation. 
Yea, KC is a major "doner"  We are lucky we are a major federal employment center because as far as highways and transit goes, we don't get jack....because we don't spend jack.