Best Lofts In 350-450 Range Downtown?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Best Lofts In 350-450 Range Downtown?

Post by tella100 »

Thinking of an intra-downtown move. I have an amazing corner loft in the RM now but it is a bit on the smaller side and is missing a few things I would really like (but don't necessarily need).  So I am thinking of making a move.  Looking for RM, CBD or Crossroads only.  Have between 350 to 450 to spend. Would like to get a patio/balcony and a pool/gym but not a deal breaker.  From what I've heard there should be some pretty good deals in this price point.  I have looked a 3 of the 6 current listings at Conover Place as well as the floor plans in Piper/Windows but thats about it.  I am open to unique spaces as well, i.e. don't all to be in big developments. For instance I have looked at a cool live/work space next to Lulu's on SW BLVD (decided it need too much work for me)  as well as a little standalole at the "popcorn" lofts. This forum was very helpful when I bought my place originaly and I read it almost every day but don't post much. Any Ideas?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Best Lofts In 350-450 Range Downtown?

Post by DaveKCMO »

check 1819 baltimore. small building, every unit has balconies.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Freighthouse lofts - no pool, but many have nice spacious balconies and nice finishes.  The model unit even has a really cool patio looking out on Unions station and a little gated garden. 
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

tella100 wrote: I have looked a 3 of the 6 current listings at Conover Place
I'll put in a plug for CP.  We lived there for a year and there are lot of things we miss - most importantly, the garage is absolutely kick-a**.  Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, very secure, easy to enter/exit, love the ability to take the grocery cart from the trunk of the car to the kitchen.   Also, don't overlook the cluster mailbox units - if you're gone for extended periods and get a lot of mail, the spare parcel lockers are golden.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Go and tour Wallstreet Tower.  Not sure what is available right now, but they have models to look at on the upper floors.  WST has pool/gym, but no balconies.  I know there are a few resales in the building right now that might be interesting.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

kclofter wrote: I'll put in a plug for CP.  We lived there for a year and there are lot of things we miss - most importantly, the garage is absolutely kick-a**.  Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, very secure, easy to enter/exit, love the ability to take the grocery cart from the trunk of the car to the kitchen.  Also, don't overlook the cluster mailbox units - if you're gone for extended periods and get a lot of mail, the spare parcel lockers are golden.
Yes the parking garage looks great. What did you think about the noise (neighbors) I've heard people walking down the hallways can be heard within the units? Did you ever use the pool or is it overrun with people from the rental units next door?

Anyone have thoughts on Piper Lofts and Windows? The finishes look top notch but I worry about resale (many units, similar set up) and i am not sure i'm jazzed about the location.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

tella100 wrote: What did you think about the noise (neighbors) I've heard people walking down the hallways can be heard within the units? Did you ever use the pool or is it overrun with people from the rental units next door?
Noise from the hall into the unit is present, but there not many units per floor (5 on ours IIRC), so it never was a problem for us. We were on the top floor, so did not hear anything above us; however, we were cranking the stereo REALLY loud one night and the chick below went ballistic.  Immediate neighbors never heard a thing.  The floors are poured concrete, so issues of sound transmission thru the floor must be considered (as it is with all condos).  But then again, that's why you buy on the top floor  :lol:

When we gutted the unit we're in now, I wanted to minimize noise to neighbors below, so installed acoustic dampener (SoundGard Lite) beneath the bamboo.

We never used the pool and rarely saw anyone in it.  If you notice, the pool is in between the two buildings, therefore gets little sun and the water stays pretty cold.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tella100 wrote: Anyone have thoughts on Piper Lofts and Windows? The finishes look top notch but I worry about resale (many units, similar set up) and i am not sure i'm jazzed about the location.
piper is in the heart of the crossroads. we're buying our next place there and the amenities are better than smaller buildings. about 100 units in each building, not as big as the view, metropolitan, or western auto.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Last edited by lock+load on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

DaveKCMO wrote: piper is in the heart of the crossroads. we're buying our next place there and the amenities are better than smaller buildings. about 100 units in each building, not as big as the view, metropolitan, or western auto.

yea the pool looks great, do you think they will actually get it built?  seems like there have been several projects that had plans for a rooftop pool that never materialized , i.e. 4646.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tella100 wrote:yea the pool looks great, do you think they will actually get it built?  seems like there have been several projects that had plans for a rooftop pool that never materialized , i.e. 4646.
i've asked for a detailed confirmation of all amenities before we go to contract. i've seen the blueprints, so it seems like they're serious.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

tella100 wrote:

yea the pool looks great, do you think they will actually get it built?  seems like there have been several projects that had plans for a rooftop pool that never materialized , i.e. 4646.
As a neighbor - I will say that both of the McGowan xroads projects seem to be moving at a deadly serious pace - none of the futzing around and idle delays that seem automatic with most other projects - kind of surprising given that everyone else seems like they are trying to slow their projects even more than usual these days. 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

If you can hold on until Spring, wait for the Urban Living loft tour - you can spend the day checking out everything at once.  In your price range, Freighthouse Flats (not to be confused w/Freighthouse Lofts) was f-ing incredible, but no pool.  It's only 2 levels, great balconies, very spacious and unique.  Good to be in a smaller development for resale value.

Also there's a place in River Market north of HOK but can't remember the name that was nice and some had balconies - right next to the river in 3 storey bldg.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

I'd look at the View.  Should be a good selection in that price range and you'll get a balcony.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

check out City Homes in the River Market

www.cityhomeskc.com
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

kcjak wrote: Also there's a place in River Market north of HOK but can't remember the name that was nice and some had balconies - right next to the river in 3 storey bldg.
That is First and Main Lofts, www.firstandmainlofts.com, I think one of the penthouses has a 900 sf terrace and is under $430K.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

THANKS for all the suggestions. I looked at piper today 7th and 8th floors. Yes they are making good progress and seem to be very professional. Paying 23K for an indoor parking spot seems a bit much but their parking situation seems better than most.  Also saw Campbell, amazing views on the north side!

Looking at some more spots in Conover and Bridgeworks. Any more comments from folks that have lived or know people that live there would be great!
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

kuslamb wrote: Go and tour Wallstreet Tower.  Not sure what is available right now, but they have models to look at on the upper floors.  WST has pool/gym, but no balconies.  I know there are a few resales in the building right now that might be interesting.
And two garage parking spots included.
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

The developers of Hotel Monroe Condos are doing a building at the intersection of Missouri and Harrison (east RM area).  The community that they are building is boutique style with only 6 or so units.  The building is pretty great as it's an old corner store, 3sty bldg.  They are making the spaces one per floor so they will be about 1800 sf and will have windows on all 4 sides.  2 bedrooms, large outdoor space, hardwoods...ya know the stuff.  Ben Sundermeier of Space Planning and Design is co-owner and designer...his work is usually pretty impressive.  Supposed to be done this summer and prices will likely be around 275 to 325.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCRealtor wrote: The developers of Hotel Monroe Condos are doing a building at the intersection of Missouri and Harrison (east RM area).  The community that they are building is boutique style with only 6 or so units.  The building is pretty great as it's an old corner store, 3sty bldg.  They are making the spaces one per floor so they will be about 1800 sf and will have windows on all 4 sides.  2 bedrooms, large outdoor space, hardwoods...ya know the stuff.  Ben Sundermeier of Space Planning and Design is co-owner and designer...his work is usually pretty impressive.  Supposed to be done this summer and prices will likely be around 275 to 325.
balconies? is there a website?