no
29%

Total votes: 14

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LAZY ATA workers......

Post by staubio »

Would it be crazy for me to quit my cozy corporate job with growth potential and top-notch benefits to become a bus driver? I have excellent customer service skills! I think it would be an amazing experience, at least to do for a year or so. I would find it gratifying. I am always watching transit authority websites for job postings.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

LAZY ATA workers......

Post by MidtownGrrl »

If you're in a job with great growth potential, my personal opinion is "hell, no, don't quit your job."

But I think it can be a "good job" for people who meet the qualifications. Several drivers rise through the ranks and become supervisors.

And, what I really appreciate as an employee of the agency, is that the management seems really up front with the employees, as compared to other places I've worked at. If layoff are coming, you know they are coming. You just don't come in one Thursday and hear that 25% of the work force is gone. And, the benefits (health insurance, free bus pass for yourself, pension) are decent.

If someone is working in retail, food service, customer service center, this can be a good thing for them.

There can be lots of drawbacks, depending on your needs. The job is pretty stationary, you are dealing directly with the public all day, the hours can be crap, it can take many years to get a M-F schedule.