Grandview Triangle

Transportation topics in KC
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Grandview Triangle

Post by BigBill33 »

bahua wrote: It still has left exits. FAIL.
Agreed! 

And why does the KC infrastructure have so many left exits?
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Left exits confuse the shit out of me. Especially when you don't know they're coming (State Line South to 435 East).
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Just kidding, that's a right exit. But still, not where it should be!
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

BigBill33 wrote: Agreed! 

Getting rid of left exits would require a massive amount of re-engineering, take far more space, require much longer ramp lengths (and hence $$) and possibly even be less efficient (not sure about that point).  Most people most of the time know when they are coming up as they have driven the route before; prepare for them.  For those that don't there are signs miles in advance showing the breakdown of lanes; read them.  I would say that those that fail a project based solely on left exits:

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

BigBill33 wrote: Agreed! 

Another one is the Left Exit from I-35 going to St. Louis coming into the Loop. I'm in that lane when I don't want to be and not in that lane when I need to be. What a whore.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/18/20 ... -open.html

A portion of the retaining wall separated after soil subsidence causing a portion of the interchange to collapse.

In related news, MAX peak service will continue to operate as scheduled.  :wink:
Last edited by smh on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It's scarier looking seeing it from underneath.  Drive north on 71 and then look back over your right shoulder as you pass under that ramp.  The damage is pretty amazing.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Damn.  LS to JoCo commuters are really screwed.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

I just saw the story on Fox4 and they advised not using Bannister Road since it'll be jammed full.  But they didn't mention that 87th st is closed between Hillcrest and Drury until early next month for construction...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mailman641 wrote: I just saw the story on Fox4 and they advised not using Bannister Road since it'll be jammed full.  But they didn't mention that 87th st is closed between Hillcrest and Drury until early next month for construction...
Good lord. This looks like it is going to cause EPIC delays. I'll be very interested to see what the story is tomorrow morning--on the news.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

was there even a mention of carpooling in the Star? isn't that more realistic and pragmatic solution than working from home?

this is what happens when your metro transit planning centers on an overbuilt, highly diluted series of freeways all over the countryside. sucks.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

This situation is pretty common in all of the approaches in the triangle. There was either some serious malfeasance in design, or construction, of the bridge approaches. I almost posted on this after driving through the triangle on Thursday. I'm usually pretty forgiving but there is really no excuse for the wholesale incompetence that happened on one of the biggest transit stages in our city.

They have been fighting this on the 71 north to 435W/470E approach since the day it opened. MoDot better hope to god they can pin this on the construction company or they are looking at a huge bill.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

HNTB is getting the contract to design the fix for this collapse.  They were also the principle designer of the original Triangle reconstruction.  Seems kinda similar to how they got the contract to design fixes to the Downtown Loop that they created...
Hurst
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Hurst »

da ta da dummmm... Always a conspiracy!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dangerboy wrote: HNTB is getting the contract to design the fix for this collapse.  They were also the principle designer of the original Triangle reconstruction.  Seems kinda similar to how they got the contract to design fixes to the Downtown Loop that they created...
Contract?!?!? They should be designing the fix to save their ass from litigation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

federal grants announced this week...

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pressroom/fhwa1 ... 1137mo.htm
Conducting a transportation analysis along the US 71 Corridor to explore transportation alternatives, including transit $652,200
i suspect this is money sanders sought for officially studying a third corridor in his rapid regional rail proposal.