Broadway Bridge

Transportation topics in KC
KCDevin

Broadway Bridge

Post by KCDevin »

According to Channel 2, while I was watching it, they passed the ordinance to light the Broadway Bridge in red, white and blue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Broadway Bridge

Post by KCPowercat »

hmmm, didn't think they could light it blue because of the airport being so close (FAA stuff).....good news, maybe all Blue when the Royals win it all next year.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Broadway Bridge

Post by KCK »

Time for an update.

Backers hope illuminated bridges will cast city in a new light

By LISA GUTIERREZ The Kansas City Star

The Broadway, the Heart of America and the Paseo bridges link Kansas City's Northland with its southern self.

Every day, more than 180,000 cars cross the bridges back and forth over the Missouri River.

Now a glamorous new light will be shed on these workhorse bridges. And the lights go on July 2.

Through a $3.2 million Missouri River bridge beautification effort, each bridge has been fitted with decorative lights that will make them glow after dark, creating eye candy for onlookers as well as for drivers.

Green and white lights will illuminate the underbelly of the Heart of America Bridge.

Blue lights will shine up the towers and shoot into the sky above the Paseo Bridge, whose makeover has just begun.

On the freshly painted Broadway Bridge, the color of floodlights spotlighting its three arches can be changed according to occasion or season. Green for St. Patrick's Day, perhaps? Royals blue? Chiefs red? Red, white and blue for the Fourth of July?

Light 'er up.

“I hope that it gives people an opportunity to see the city in a new way,â€
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
scooterj
Ambassador

Broadway Bridge

Post by scooterj »

This is great! I thought this had fallen way behind schedule because I have not noticed the new light fixtures on any of the other bridges yet. I was starting to think that Broadway would be the only one ready in time.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Broadway Bridge

Post by dangerboy »

You can't easily see the lights while driving on the Broadway Bridge, they are a little below your line of vision. Great news that they have some interium lighting for the Paseo Bridge, because there have been a few places where MoDOT mentioned waiting on the lights there until after its rehab in 2005.

This is the first time I've seen any mention of eventually lighting the ASB and Hannibal bridges. Someday it would be sweet to light all of the Missouri River bridges across the metro. Add the Choueau, I-435 East and 291 Hwy bridges. Then get Kansas to light I-435 West, I-635, and Fairfax. That would be a great regional project.