Northland Dining...

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Northland Dining...

Post by KCMax »

AJoD wrote: Good to hear, KCMax, thanks.  How do you like Vietnam Restaurant on 39th by KU Med?  Any recommendations there?
That is our other favorite. Its gotten a lot better in the last year. The Pho is great of course, and I'm a fan of the Banh Seo (sp?). Its basically a crepe filled with meats and vegetables that you wrap in lettuce and dip in fish sauce. Its also the best spring rolls in town IMO.

The only other Vietnamese place in town we've tried is Saigon 39, just up the street on 39th and it is far from authentic, despite being owned by a Vietnamese family. They try to be upscale, and some Americans seem to  like it, but they told us they don't cook with pork, which is an essential element of Vietnamese cooking. Its not bad, it just wasn't much to our liking.

I've heard the place up in the River Market is very good too, but I haven't been by.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

It wasn't exactly fine dining but what happened to the Qdoba in Zona Rosa?  I noticed it appeared to be closed last time I was up there.  Any rumors on what might replace it?
Belle the dog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belle the dog »

I discovered a good restaurant in North Kansas City. 

Also posted a review under the heading "KC Scene" under the title "Surprising Discovery in an Unlikely Location."  Pardon my enthusiasm but when something good opens north of the river, I want to trumpet it to everybody.

Place is called Dutch Oven Bakery & Cafe and is located in NKC at Burlington & 14th (in a defunct Denny's).  Well worth trying out, especially if you seek out the unusual and interesting.
4everNorthlander
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 4everNorthlander »

ShowME wrote: Also I recommend La Fuente in Kearney.  Great food and you'll be out of there in 45 minutes tops.  I think there's also one recently opened on the Liberty square.

Los Compas is the name of the place on the square in Liberty.  I think it's the same owners as La Fuente.  For excellant mexican food, we love Alfredo's Place on Vivion Rd., right next to Big Burgers.  Their tamale's are WONDERFUL!
Crazy mom of 4!  KC resident, Liberty schools
Jeff
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jeff »

I heard Los Compas was started by former employees of La Fuente in Kearney and not owned by them.  I like it better than Rancho Grande in Liberty. Rancho's "queso sauce" is, well, Cheez Whiz.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Has Dutch Oven already closed?
There is no fifth destination.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

I never see any activity at Dutch Oven.

I heard the food was good but I lost my appetite for eating there even once when one of my coworkers said "dutch oven" means holding someone's head under the blanket while farting. :shock:
MissKris816
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MissKris816 »

Belle the dog wrote: Cafe des Amis in Parkville is excellent.
Yes! Cafe des Amis is excellent! I'm quite fond of their lunch crepes.

I'd also recommend Bonefish Grill off of 64th St. in the Tuilleries.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Dutch Oven closed months ago and is for sale.  For an alternative a few blocks east, try Kamel's.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

Strongly recomment Em Chamas Brazilian Grill in Tuileries Plaza off 64th st. ( Tom Watson Parkway ). Amazing food, Outstanding service, great atmosphere, and a memorable experience. I am a regular now. Definetly go on an empty stomach to get your moneys worth, it's a little pricey, not bad though.
4everNorthlander
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 4everNorthlander »

Jeff wrote: I heard Los Compas was started by former employees of La Fuente in Kearney and not owned by them.  I like it better than Rancho Grande in Liberty. Rancho's "queso sauce" is, well, Cheez Whiz.
The white queso?  I like.  OH and the Gold margaritas there I REALLY like. I was not too impressed with Los Compas. The gound beef in the tacos had no seasoning at all.
Crazy mom of 4!  KC resident, Liberty schools
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: Yoshiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar

Very good food, but a little pricey. They cook the food on your table, so it's cool.  8)
Well, I've lived in Parkville for 3 years now, and Yoshiko's closed it's doors some time ago but now the place just reopened with a new name.  Can't think of it, but, i'm sure it's another Benihana's type thing.  I went to Yoshiko's at least 5 times, all b/c my nephews and nieces picked it for their birthday dinners.    I, personally, did not like it much.    Hopefully the new place  is good.

One place I highly recommend for Northlanders is Nick and Jakes.    Their Sunday brunch is spectacular.  It's buffet style and has an omellete station, lots of good stuff on the buffet and prime rib.    And, it's only about 17 bucks or so.    It's awesome.

As for the Vinh Ho place in NKC... get your food to-go is my recommendation on them.    Good food and prices, just very unappealing and slightly stinky in there.

Someone mentioned Ixtapa's in here...  Hand's down the best mexican I've had for a long time.  They specialize in Guadlajaran (I think) and the food is great.

I sure wish that Iliki's place would have made it.  I really liked it. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Iliki got pretty down and dingy before they closed. Food or service wasn't good a the end. When we first started going there, it was great.
electric warrior
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by electric warrior »

I was very sad when I went to the Dutch Oven for a second go and it was closed. The food was VERY high quality. Too bad.
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

Nick and Jakes is great.  Top quality service and great food.  Every night they have a dinner special and it's usually great especially Fri & Sat nights. 
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Brodies

Post by Psalm B H »

Well, the new BBQ place in Parkville, Brodies Backyard BBQ is already closed.  I think they made it about 4-5 months.  Too bad, not that it was great, but I hate to see businesses fail near my house.