Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Azul Latin Bistro - 1108 Grand

Post by heatherkay »

Was anyone there last night to see if they got any love from the arena opening?
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I walked by about 5:30 and they only had about 5 table occupied.  Pretty disappointing in my opinon.  I was there Friday night and they said that they only had 5-6 reservations but that they were pretty large parties.  I still hope they survive.  If they would lower the price on their drinks ($9 is too much for an avergace mojito), I think they would do much better with the bar crowd.  I still think that their house salad and quesadillas are two of the best dishes in the city.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I talked to a neighbor (NE JoCo) who ate at Azul before the Elton John concert and said the place was absolutely mobbed, so much that they couldn't handle it.  I think she said their meal (party of 4 or 5) took 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

She believed the delay was due to huge crowds, liked the food, and said she'd return.

I just met this woman so can't vouch for credibility, but I thought it was an encouraging report.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Good to hear.  Thanks for the update
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
CityLiving
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CityLiving »

Great place, excellent food and presentation.  This place is a gem!  Well decorated inside, very clean and hip.  Highly recommended!  I'm embarrassed that its taken me this long to visit the place. I will be a frequent visitor!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Thumbs up from me.  It's not a top 5 place, but it's top 10 on my list.  A little bit of Miami in KC.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

We enjoyed our meal, and the decor.  But, it was soooo hot in that place, I thought I was going to go insane.  They opened the door to cool the place down, but, this was the night of the Mannheim Steamroller concert (not a good event) and the crowd was older (and I am not that young) and they all acted like they were going to freeze.  They could use a better wine by the glass list.  I was surprised that there was no one sitting at the bar, looked like a nice place to have a drink.  We will go back, maybe there will be a younger, warmer crowd.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

the one review on yelp.com : http://www.yelp.com/biz/azul-kansas-cit ... query:azul was good.

I think I'll have to check this out.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Azul would do good to fire their bartender.  The drinks are the worst part of the restaurant.  Don't get me wrong, I love this place!  The beef tenderloins are amazing and the prices are great, but, every drink I've had there is less than good.  The avocado margarita is NASTY!  The worst drink I've ever had.  As bad as it sounds.  The other drinks taste very watered down with hardly any alcohol.  At $9 a piece.  I should get a good stif margarita for $9!  Hire a new bartender and I would consider eating their every night.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

had another great meal at azul last night. i told the server they needed to do lunch and get a valet for the evenings. he said they were "working on some stuff". he also said that a proper review from the star was due any day now.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

A group of us enjoyed a VD meal at Azul last night.

So good.  Short ribs were awesome.  Chicken was succulent.  Could not tell you about the tenderloin medallions, because the person who ordered those said that there was no way they were about to share them.

Sweet potato chorizo quesadillas are still a crowd pleaser.  Only the coconut ceviche was lacking.  Not bad, but just OK.

Keep supporting this deserving resto.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

loftguy wrote: A group of us enjoyed a VD meal at Azul last night.
You lost me at VD meal.
910penn
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by 910penn »

Think he meant Valentine's Day
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

910penn wrote: Think he meant Valentine's Day
Thanks, 910.  I guess because so many wished me "Happy VD" yesterday, I just presumed...

At least we didn't have crabs for dinner, MightyKC.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

loftguy wrote: Thanks, 910.  I guess because so many wished me "Happy VD" yesterday, I just presumed...

At least we didn't have crabs for dinner, MightyKC.
I do second you on the quesadillas.  My favorite dish downtown right now.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

azul has dropped dinner during the week and added "business lunch" in its place. friday and saturday dinner still available. they're working on adding specials and a valet. a redo of the wine list is also in progress.

this is the place to avoid the onslaught of people at P+L!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Went Friday for dinner...most in my group liked it....those who had the stuffed pork chops did not like them.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
18th STreet
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by 18th STreet »

DaveKCMO wrote: azul has dropped dinner during the week and added "business lunch" in its place. friday and saturday dinner still available. they're working on adding specials and a valet. a redo of the wine list is also in progress.

this is the place to avoid the onslaught of people at P+L!
Here and The Mango Room!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dinner only now, thursday through saturday. chef is handling all of the prep now and has stepped up his game. fabulous new watercress salad and mexican chocolate mousse. please get the word out so this place can continue hanging on.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

I went there a few months ago for dinner when the only options were Vinino and McFaddens in the P&L. Nobody at our table enjoyed our meal. I thought my food was just passable, but when I'm paying that much, it better be more than passable.