City Market fountain

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

City Market fountain

Post by scooterj »

I just realized that I have never seen the fountain on the west side of the City Market turned on. Or even with water in it. Has it ever operated? Does anyone know why it doesn't now?
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

City Market fountain

Post by GuyInLenexa »

When I first moved here in the 90's I think it was working.
Prudhomme
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

City Market fountain

Post by Prudhomme »

I have lived across the street for 2 years and I have never seen it on. If it is not fixed for Lewis & Clark (July 4th), then I doubt it ever will.
It will be interesting to see what is done before the 4th down in the market. They just finished adding shade to the storefronts. I assume they are going to shore up the Town of Kansas extension at the end of main. It already looks a little dumpy.
I have looked around on the net at Port Authority websites and really can't decide exactly what they want to do with the area North of 2nd after the Lewis and Clark turns south at main. Does anyone have a link to plans for this area?
kckid
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

City Market fountain

Post by kckid »

What fountain are you referring to?
"Sammy, its a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear."
-Norm from "Cheers"
Prudhomme
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

City Market fountain

Post by Prudhomme »

There are two exits on the west side of the market between Minsky's and the coffee house. Just outside of the northern most exit is a small fountain that consists of an eight inch circular curb. Easy to miss.

More than the fountain, I would like to see the lights in the park working.
They have the decorative gas lamp looking fixtures, but they don't work and the park is completely dark at night, except those street lights around the perimeter.

There is a lot of great thinks happening down in the MKT but the lack of attention to the park, the dwindling quantity and quality of concerts and the loss of Garrett's have definitely subtracted from the positive buzz created by Rivermarket West, 5th & Delaware, HOK, Vivace and Harry's.
scooterj
Ambassador

City Market fountain

Post by scooterj »

Anyone know who is in charge of maintaining the park and the fountain?

The lights-not-working deal has been bugging me too.