New St. Louis Skyline Pic!

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
kc2stl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New St. Louis Skyline Pic!

Post by kc2stl »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New St. Louis Skyline Pic!

Post by mean »

Ugh, hideous! Look at all those trees! And the buildings! And the arch! And the sky! And the clouds!

Just kidding.  :lol:

I love St. Louis.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

But where will everyone park?

Just kidding!  Thanks for posting, kc2stl!
KC is the way to be!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Beautiful East St Louis Illinois!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

too bad Chesterfield has a bigger skyline...Sweet sprawl!!!!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Weak... :?
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

I have no use for flamers and ignorant posts like that.

I could post some "lovely pics" of downtown KC too...but why?

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

i liked the wikipedia picture of the day for tuesday, dec 11, 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... r_11_-_Tue
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
chitownjacob22
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by chitownjacob22 »

StL skyline leaves a lot to be desired.
Aesthetically, one of the worst in the nation IMO.
I'm not sure if the elliptical thing helps or hurts.
Last edited by chitownjacob22 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STLguy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by STLguy1 »

To each his/her own I guess...

:shock:
I'm not sure if the elliptical thing helps or hurts.
(*,)

It has only made St. Louis one of the most recognizable skyline in the world.

STL from the west looking across Forest Park from the Clayton skyline.

St. Louis may not have the "height height" as Chicago, but the skyline is spread out from downtown to the west and the stock of historic/new highrises is quite impressive IMO... and that's my opinion.  I am not "from" STL originally either.  But is definatley a city that has a "big" city feel to it... taking the METRO from Clayton to Downtown and all points in between is very cosmopolitan and definately well stocked with highrise/midrise buildings and neighborhoods/districts. 

GREAT STL PHOTO THREAD:
http://urbanstlouis.com/urbanstl/viewtopic.php?t=3650 ]
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

at first glance, the st. louis skyline doesnt look big city to me, however, the drive on I-64 from downtown past the west end is certainly big city, especially with the continental popping up there in the middle.

st. louis never was a skyline/skyscraper city (like baltimore, portland, or even philly to an extent), even during the era of the big deco scrapers going up when it was the 6th largest. comparing this to arguably the greatest (not biggest or "densest") skyline is insane!

i sometimes wonder how much of a mistake it was to level the historic 40 compact blocks of industrial st. louis cast iron version of the french quarter for the expansion memorial  (dedicated to history) even as much of a great symbol (of modernism and st. louis) the arch is...now they are trying to patch back together the remaining scraps south of the popular street bridge.

i wish they had spared the areas inside the yellow boxes (i think saarinen wanted to do something similar?)

give me the only (or at least by far largest) cast iron district in the midwest back...  :(

Last edited by warwickland on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
en08
Pad site
Pad site

Post by en08 »

St. Louis, for a city of 2.8 million people, has a VERY disapointing skyline. I just went there a month ago, and as I approached it was four tall buildings and an arch. And by tall buildings, they weren't very tall. KC has a much better (and taller) skyline, and it has 2.2 million people in it's metro- supposidley 500,000 less than St. Louis.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

^Downtown St. Louis lies in a valley, therefore it does not appear tall or expansive when heading in from the west.  However, once you reach it at ground level, downtown St. Louis feels, looks and is in fact MUCH bigger and more dense than it initially appears.  Skyline does mean something, but it isn't everything.  St. Louis still has a far more recognizable skyline than 90% of the cities across the globe, which should not be forgotten.

And since when does KC have 2.2 million?  If you start rounding up or making projections, you must also do the same for St. Louis: 2.9 million.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Btw, how's the traffic this morning?  :)  Think it's going to be as bad as TV and the PD would have us believe?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah STL doesn't have much of a skyline, but the downtown region is large and dense.  you can be like 30 blocks west of downtown and it still feels very urban, like a more dense crossroads.  there are a lot of awesome, dense, urban cities that have lackluster skylines - boston, baltimore, portland, st. louis, milwaukee, etc.  alternatively, there are cities with cool/tall skylines that are much smaller and less urban - des moines, omaha, jacksonville, etc. 

STL is a city that got very large at a very early point and its urbanity and density reflect that.  we might have a few taller buildings but our downtown and surrounding area is much smaller and less dense.
st steven
Pad site
Pad site

Post by st steven »

kard wrote: Btw, how's the traffic this morning?  :)  Think it's going to be as bad as TV and the PD would have us believe?
Ha! Yeah, I think the whole thing is a lot of fuss over nothing. Traffic will be marginally worse, I suppose, but it won't be the end-of-days like the media would have us believe.

I'm lucky enough to live in the City, so I won't be too affected.

The P-D seems to be changing its tune somewhat on the matter.

Story
First in shoes, first in booze, and last in the American League.
en08
Pad site
Pad site

Post by en08 »

chrizow wrote: yeah STL doesn't have much of a skyline, but the downtown region is large and dense.  you can be like 30 blocks west of downtown and it still feels very urban, like a more dense crossroads.  there are a lot of awesome, dense, urban cities that have lackluster skylines - boston, baltimore, portland, st. louis, milwaukee, etc.  alternatively, there are cities with cool/tall skylines that are much smaller and less urban - des moines, omaha, jacksonville, etc. 

STL is a city that got very large at a very early point and its urbanity and density reflect that.  we might have a few taller buildings but our downtown and surrounding area is much smaller and less dense.

I drove all throughout their dt and ours felt a little bigger. Most of the density was around two streets: Washington ave and the one parallel to it. Alot of the area around their dt and midtown made holmes, el paseo and the dotte look like mission hills. Actually our dt has more residents. And the only reason they have a recognizable skyline is the arch. Without it their skyline would be nothing.
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

en08 wrote:

I drove all throughout their dt and ours felt a little bigger.

lol, you are so predictable.  :lol:
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

kard wrote: Btw, how's the traffic this morning?  :)  Think it's going to be as bad as TV and the PD would have us believe?
i managed to get out to olive and I-270 in record time this morning (i always take olive from skinker anyway), but it was because the olive and I-170 rebuild was complete (like...1 day before the I-64 shutdown) and everyone is still on vacation...
kc2stl
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kc2stl »

en08 wrote:

I drove all throughout their dt and ours felt a little bigger. Most of the density was around two streets: Washington ave and the one parallel to it. Alot of the area around their dt and midtown made holmes, el paseo and the dotte look like mission hills. Actually our dt has more residents. And the only reason they have a recognizable skyline is the arch. Without it their skyline would be nothing.
I'm from KC and I think you really need to have your eyes checked.  Downtown St. Louis is pretty big and full of mid rise buildings.  KC doesn't have anything comparable to Washington Ave in its downtown. 

When the Ballpark Village is complete St. Louis is really going to have a great downtown: http://www.slfp.com/092307BIZp.htm