Cauthen taps former Dallas convention chief ...

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
JerseyGuy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JerseyGuy »

...to lead KC department

Jerry LaMartina
Staff Writer
KC Business Journal

Kansas City Manager Wayne Cauthen hired a former general manager of the Dallas Convention Center Facilities as director of Kansas City's Convention and Entertainment Centers Department, Cauthen said Friday.

Oscar McGaskey Jr., 50, will start the job in Kansas City in mid- June. McGaskey was general manager of the Dallas Convention Center from 1992 through 2002.

Since then, he has worked as a consultant for American Trade Shows Inc. in Dallas, he said.

"I think the most important thing is providing quality service and bringing the impact of conventions to your city, bringing in new money to a city," McGaskey said.

He was born in Nachitoches, La., left there at age six and has lived in Dallas ever since, he said.

"I will probably live in the downtown (Kansas City) area," he said. "I want to be in the area where I'm going to be working."

McGaskey's salary will be about $124,000 a year. He succeeds William LaMette, who retired June 30, city spokeswoman Mary Charles said.

"As the former general manager of the Dallas Convention Center Facilities, Oscar McGaskey's experience in convention center management, arena management, contract negotiations, sales and marketing make him an outstanding choice for the position," Cauthen said in a written release. "As we move forward with plans for the downtown arena, McGaskey's background will be a real asset to the city."
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

How do people feel about this?

I just wish we would've gotten someone in her/his prime rather than someone who used to work for Dallas and then went private. As long as this dude pimps KC and brings in mucho big time conventions...I'm happy. The pay for this job should be entirely performance based (i.e. you can't bring in conventioneers...you don't get paid).
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

The thing isn't built yet, do they really need a guy on payroll for $125,000 a year when the thing won't be finished for over 2 years?
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I believe he will be directing Bartle Hall and Municipal Audi....