AKP's thread

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AKP's thread

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Didn't know where to put this.  Normally I am not that big of a fan of Duiguid but some of the comments in here are pretty good.

http://www.kansascity.com/278/story/379582.html

The notice read: While we can appreciate your need to “stay in touch” with the morning news, we must ask you to keep the volume down. The demands on our time are often quite different than the usual 9-5, so sometimes 8 a.m. is the middle of the night for us. We appreciate your prompt attention to this detail.

My friends — especially those who work in the media — laughed hysterically about the warning, which seemed as if it were from a comedy routine.

The punch line: You know you’re old when your neighbors complain that your news is too loud.

What is really enlightening is the comments to the editorial.  Some of them probably come from posters here.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

AKP's thread

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Didn't know where to put this.  Normally I am not that big of a fan of Duiguid but some of the comments in here are pretty good.

http://www.kansascity.com/278/story/379582.html

The notice read: While we can appreciate your need to “stay in touch” with the morning news, we must ask you to keep the volume down. The demands on our time are often quite different than the usual 9-5, so sometimes 8 a.m. is the middle of the night for us. We appreciate your prompt attention to this detail.

My friends — especially those who work in the media — laughed hysterically about the warning, which seemed as if it were from a comedy routine.

The punch line: You know you’re old when your neighbors complain that your news is too loud.

What is really enlightening is the comments to the editorial.  Some of them probably come from posters here.
what does this have to do with thinking of moving downtown?  Seems like you are just attempting to stir up problems...apartments/condos/shared living isn't unique to downtown.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

AKP's thread

Stir up problems?  That would be if I was making this up.  Which I am not.

Again, it was just something funny.  Especially the think about the age difference.

What is the matter?  Does he live in your building? Where you one of the people with the comments?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: AKP's thread

Post by kard »

Does he still live in Independence?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Stir up problems?  That would be if I was making this up.  Which I am not.

Again, it was just something funny.  Especially the think about the age difference.

What is the matter?  Does he live in your building? Where you one of the people with the comments?
He never even says he lives downtown...which is why this thread got moved outside of the thread you posted it in.

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

uh oh
I had only worn it listening to country music when I did housecleaning. Now the same headset keeps me informed in the morning. It’s an adjustment, but it also helps me keep the peace with my downtown, news-adverse neighbors.
but honestly, this column was a waste of reading time.

What the hell?  People get paid for griping about stupid things like that?  I honestly am baffled how something that would probably rank as a very boring throw away blog entry somewhere in the internet ether is published in a paper like the Star by a professional.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

in reading his last few columns he appears he has left his house and is living in a apartment somewhere around Holmes between the KC Star and 28th street. He had mentioned he can walk to work now.  I've seen him at The Tomato a couple of times and he voted at Our lady of Sorrows the last election.  I'm assuming he is divorced now, since he used to right about his big house and family.  I usually read his columns for the outragous context he places everything in.  Everything is black and white in his world.  But if he is having family problems, I feel for the guy.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: He never even says he lives downtown...which is why this thread got moved outside of the thread you posted it in.
From his previous column he comments about his life's changes.  FYI

http://www.kansascity.com/278/story/370226.html

It’s partly because I went from living in a four-bedroom house in far south Kansas City to a one-bedroom apartment downtown. My 40-mile, round-trip daily commute to work has been replaced with a two-block walk to The Kansas City Star.

I’m loving this new ever-changing neighborhood.

It has taken me 30 1/2 years to get here, living first in the Northland, then Hyde Park, then the Martin City area and now a loft in the Crossroads. But Kansas City has had to go through a metamorphosis, too.

It appears he is very pro-downtown or pro urban-living in his writing.  And it is quite possible that future writings will also feature downtown or urban living, both pros and cons.  So, come on now, KCP, you preach to the choir about the positives of downtown and urban living.  Can't you handle the negative side?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

no i cant handle it...all is well...all is well.