Very SURPRISED!!!

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kansasfarmboy

Very SURPRISED!!!

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Today,,,, a city councilman, lawyer , and other city council people, at the Kay Barnes State of the city address, Slapped the proposed tax for the ballot , to the curb.... now that sounds bad but the reason is one of the FIRST good reasons I have ever heard...

They said , its ILLEGAL to do it the way the ballot proposal was worded, they wanted to pass a tax , to pay for PAST and future finances..... Paying for the past part is ILLEGAL!!!! The lawyer pointed , this out and it was shelved..... Or possibly shelved... I dont know exactly what they did with the proposal..it will be on the news at 10pm and or in the paper tommorow...
KCDevin

Very SURPRISED!!!

Post by KCDevin »

your just antitax everything aren't you? :)
BTW, what tax ballot thing?
Surely not the 3 that were just passed. if so then the lawyer needs to be {edit}... j/k, but he would deserve it.
kansasfarmboy

Very SURPRISED!!!

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCDevin wrote:your just antitax everything aren't you? :)
BTW, what tax ballot thing?
Surely not the 3 that were just passed. if so then the lawyer needs to be {edit}... j/k, but he would deserve it.
I will ignore your threats of violence towards the lawer ,,, and othe negative points you can deal with that...

Yes I am anti tax every thing....

And No its not the taxes already passed. It was the proposed tax to be put on the ballot for august I believe, it was NOT bistate II. this was to be for UNION station ONLY. It was to be for (what we found out today) ,was to be for PAST bills owed
KCDevin

Very SURPRISED!!!

Post by KCDevin »

KFB, I said I was kidding, besides, a teenager can't do anything. And i'm a christian, I wouldn't ever do those things.
Also, this sucks for Union Station, those people best get their act together and get together a new tax for Union Station. Union Station CANNOT fail.
kansasfarmboy

Very SURPRISED!!!

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCDevin wrote:KFB, I said I was kidding, besides, a teenager can't do anything. And i'm a christian, I wouldn't ever do those things.
Also, this sucks for Union Station, those people best get their act together and get together a new tax for Union Station. Union Station CANNOT fail.
Well It certainly at this point doesnt seem to be off to a good run,,, BUT at least they are talking about it. I do recall the businesses ,,, Or whomever is in charge of day to day operations, stating that the station is IN crisis mode :( at this point and they need an answer very soon.

And the Rumor that they were ordering ply wood to board it up, that channel 5 reported was a misunderstanding , the place was taking bids for lumber but the station reps said it was not for boarding up,,,, so I guess its whom you believe....!!! you never know about these things...

This was posted on the kc star site BEFORE todays 4pm announcement of possible shelving , without re writing ballot , to NOT include PAST debt on a NEW tax, (which they said is illegal) 2 taxes same debt!!

chrizow
Lifetime Resident

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:48 am Post subject: where are the people???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is coming from someone who is only in KC a few months out of the year, but...i'll ask anyway.

there are what, 10,000 people (or more) living downtown now? is it just me, or is the "street life" aspect of city living still missing? that seems like an awful lot of people downtown, but it isn't as though there is much pedestrian activity except for on First Fridays?

my guess is that the H+R Block thing is going to be a big step towards a vibrant street life. but the PAC and arena arent that great for everyday hustle and bustle.

any ideas on why KC's downtown street life still seems dead even though thousands are flocking down there? or am i just crazy and am not seeing it? i know the condos are there. the bars are there. the retail is coming. but where are the people?

again, i might just be too out of the loop....but it's an honest question.

DeadManWalking
Lifetime Resident

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:53 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think they are all on the plaza.

btw, is there a Starbucks downtown?

KCPowercat
Site Admin

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:55 am Post subject:

I notice a lot more from when I first moved downtown. The problems with lack of people on the street is there isn't really anywhere to walk TO at this point....most of the time I see people walking to/from bars on broadway and around 10th street around the library lofts. 2nd, the living is pretty spread out and most in this city are so car dependant, they jump in that thing for everything...

with all the new projects opening up and with an entertainment type district to focus alot of activity too, there will be a lot more coming quickly.

Very SURPRISED!!!

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Sorry last post had wrong content in buffer it was of another post , i downloaded to read offline

this is the kc star article today before the meetings end announcements

email this print this
Posted on Thu, May. 06, 2004

Station's crisis requires fast action

The Kansas City area rallied eight years ago to restore Union Station to its former splendor. The community must unite again to ensure that the grand building remains open for many years to come.

Union Station faces a financial crisis. Without additional funding, public events there would be “reduced dramaticallyâ€