What is with West Terrace Park?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

What are they doing to the old towers at the old West Terrace Park? When we went to KC yesterday the roofs were gone.
KCforumer

Post by KCforumer »

Very cool pic, Devin. But I don't know what's up with that park. I didn't even know it is called West Terrace, just thought it is part of Case. And..you say "When we went to KC yesterday...." as if you are from out of town.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Well, is it better if I say "went into town yesterday"? or "went downtown yesterday"?
Also, that isn't my photo of course, if you go there today that'd be covered up with plants, except the towers.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by carfreekc »

I saw something in the last day or two about the roofs being redone for those lookouts, but I can't remember where I saw that. I think it's in preparation for the Lewis & Clark stuff.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

sorry for being a moron, but what park is that? towers? ????
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It's on the westernmost edge of Quality Hill, atop the bluff, overlooking the West Bottoms. There used to be steps going all the way down, you can see remnants behind the brush on the hillside as you drive past on I-35.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

oh ok, yeah i know that place. is it in complete disrepair now? that could be a sweet selling point for QH and Summit@16th and other developments in the same general area.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Downtown CID is rehabing the park. They will also maintain it once finished.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Thank God the CID is taking this over, especially since the city department that is charged with maintaining our parks system is unable to do it. Does the parks departement maintain anything within the downtown loop?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Check out how cool it used to be. The stonework was part of a structure called The Palisades, that went down to Kersey Coates Drive, before the freeway loop replaced the road and cut off the stairs.

http://kclibrary.org/resources/sc/media ... iaID=35358