Union Station Powerhouse Building

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Union Station Powerhouse Building

Post by KCTigerFan »

Anyone know what the revised timeline is for the Ballet to start on the Bolendar facility at the Powerhouse?  Originally it was going to open by Spring of 2008. 
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Union Station Powerhouse Building

Post by advocrat »

KCTigerFan wrote: Anyone know what the revised timeline is for the Ballet to start on the Bolendar facility at the Powerhouse?  Originally it was going to open by Spring of 2008. 
They're still hoping to occupy in 2008, probably Fall.
peterbillionaire
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by peterbillionaire »

They still have not started construction.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone know what the hold up is here?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They're not done stretching.  :lol:
There is no fifth destination.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I hear they are searching for taller ballerinas.  &&&

- Steven Wright
peterbillionaire
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by peterbillionaire »

DaveKCMO wrote: anyone know what the hold up is here?
I have a suspicion about this project, that it was dropped on the ballet and they felt that they had to go along with it. I think that they would have preferred a purpose-built building next to the new performing arts center, which was the original plan.

The power house is going to require huge buckets of cash to bring back to life, reconfigure and operate. (See pictures taken inside last year.)  It was presented publicly as cheaper than an all-new building, which I thought was unlikely. Maybe once all of the construction bids were in, it became too expensive, or the building turned out to be unworkable. 
Attachments
union station power plant 110.jpg
union station power plant 030.jpg
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Cool pix. The KC Urbex site used to have a lot of photos from you and others, but apparently they're no longer available. I keep getting an error message when I click on the Gallery link.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

peterbillionaire wrote: I have a suspicion about this project, that it was dropped on the ballet and they felt that they had to go along with it. I think that they would have preferred a purpose-built building next to the new performing arts center, which was the original plan.

The power house is going to require huge buckets of cash to bring back to life, reconfigure and operate. (See pictures taken inside last year.)  It was presented publicly as cheaper than an all-new building, which I thought was unlikely. Maybe once all of the construction bids were in, it became too expensive, or the building turned out to be unworkable. 
For the original project they had a signature architect dumped on them, Moshe Safde. They designed a building the Ballet couldn't afford.

Now it looks like a remodel of the power house could cost more than the stand alone building would have.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A lot of the cost depends on the level of renovation. If they cover all the walls with new surfaces, then it will cost a lot.  However, if they leave it raw, and just spend the money on rebuilding the floor surfaces and adding offices and dressing rooms, fix the roof, and replace the windows and heating/cooling/plumbing, then it could cost less.    It's a historic building which means that federal and state historic tax credits could offset a large majority of cost. Up to 45 percent.
There is no fifth destination.