Tiffany Springs Market Center

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Tiffany Springs Market Center

Post by Slappy the Wang »

GRID wrote: Geez....

So I guess that's the nail in the coffin for the 169 best buy?  That area is going to look like Bannister Mall in five years.
It's been planned for over a year.  Best Buy built a new store in the SHoal Creek development and will also build a new one at TSMP servicing both sides of the northland.  The 169 Best Buy is nearly the ONLY reason anyone has to visit the 169 & 152 area.  Dillards and Macys are hanging on in HOPES that the redevelopment of Metro North is real...and real fast.  However, with a 2 million sf retail plan for Shoal Creek and the 600k sf plan for Whitehall Station, I'm sure both will consider an option other than staying put.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

So I guess that's the nail in the coffin for the 169 best buy?  That area is going to look like Bannister Mall in five years.
[/quote]

You mean the present Bannister Mall or Bannister Mall if they built the soccer complex? Blame the old owner of Metro North
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

I don't think its going to take 5 years for Metro North to die.  Also, Dillards I don't think it waiting around for anything.  They already officially announced almost a year ago that they are moving into Zona Rosa. At best they'll keep the wholesale store at M.N.  Since JCPenny is going in at I-29 & 152 I'd say they will close up at M.N. leaving only Macy's there.  The best Macy's could hope for is if the plans to raze M.N. and make it a multi-use open air facility pan out.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Sure, this is more bitchery, but as I drove by there on my way to the airport today, I saw those signs about the stores that are going in there.

I wonder why those stores are allowed to move from place to place leaving their empty shells behind?
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

nota wrote: I wonder why those stores are allowed to move from place to place leaving their empty shells behind?
Synergy, man.  The same reason any group of stores cluster.  Retail is all ablout what's hot N O W.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

www.cousinsproperties.com. in the renderings more tenants are shown that have been unannounced, but confirmed. All the tenants in the first phase are:

Ulta
Sports Authority
Jasons Deli
Famous Footwear
Chuckie Cheese
Home Depot
Great Clips
Target
Best Buy
Lifeway Christian Bookstore
JC Penney
Justice
Sephora ( in JCPenney )

Many freestanding restuarants and drive thrus will be part of the outer parcels but none announced yet.

I might have skipped a few, but it sounds like a good mix. Nice to see some new tenants that are new to the area and Kansas City.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

drramos101 wrote: www.cousinsproperties.com. in the renderings more tenants are shown that have been unannounced, but confirmed. All the tenants in the first phase are:

Ulta
Sports Authority
Jasons Deli
Famous Footwear
Chuckie Cheese
Home Depot
Great Clips
Target
Best Buy
Lifeway Christian Bookstore
JC Penney
Justice
Sephora ( in JCPenney )

Many freestanding restuarants and drive thrus will be part of the outer parcels but none announced yet.

I might have skipped a few, but it sounds like a good mix. Nice to see some new tenants that are new to the area and Kansas City.
None of these tenants are new to Kansas City. This is future blight...hope big box is en vogue in 15 years.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

trailerkid wrote: None of these tenants are new to Kansas City. This is future blight...hope big box is en vogue in 15 years.
let me say restate that. Its nice to see some new tenants to the "area." nearly half of these tenants are new to the northland.

I was driving down congress avenue and seen that ground has been broken on the 296 acre Riverstone development along 1-52 on the west side of I-29, the retirement home complexes are already up and the roads are paved for the luxury housing part. I got ahold of the siteplan on lutjen and it looks like a lot more big box, upscale stores, and restuarants are in the plan. Hunt midwest said the homes in the riverstone development will start in the 350-400s range. 300k + square feet or retail. The way the siteplan looks, it seems to be similar to the shoal creek development.

http://huntmidwestphotos.com/Hunt_Midwe ... e_1.html#4
Last edited by drramos101 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

This project seems like it's all going up overnight. Outstanding progress on this project, Just a few weeks ago, it there was nothing. Zona Rosa's phase II progress is picking up a lot too. Riverstones next. This area is starting to look so much like 119th area in JoCo by Town Center.
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

Just what the northland needs, especially the area around I-29/Barry Road, is another area that looks like 119th and Metcalf!  I am generally for progress, which KC desparately needs, but at times refuses to acknowledge, but this project is only going to make this area a complete FUBAR mess!  Barry Road and I-29 is already a mess.  Where are the city planners in all of this?  How about traffic engineers?  Barry Road desparately needs to be widened, with concrete intersections, turn lanes, etc, without the football field size medians, and it needs to be widened west of Congress! The interchanges at I-29/MO-152 are too big which will prevent any interchanges at Ambassador or any other access to this center.  There's only one off ramp off of eastbound MO-152 onto Congres, and one off ramp off of westbound MO-152 onto Ambassador.  I realize the developers designed this (first mistake), and the city approved it (second mistake) as they only see the $$ and don't think about traffic and access. 

Yes, the commercial progress here is nice, but at what cost?  Increased driver frustration, traffic jams, and more mess on top of an already poorly designed area.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

BigBill33 wrote: Just what the northland needs, especially the area around I-29/Barry Road, is another area that looks like 119th and Metcalf!  I am generally for progress, which KC desparately needs, but at times refuses to acknowledge, but this project is only going to make this area a complete FUBAR mess!  Barry Road and I-29 is already a mess.  Where are the city planners in all of this?  How about traffic engineers?  Barry Road desparately needs to be widened, with concrete intersections, turn lanes, etc, without the football field size medians, and it needs to be widened west of Congress! The interchanges at I-29/MO-152 are too big which will prevent any interchanges at Ambassador or any other access to this center.  There's only one off ramp off of eastbound MO-152 onto Congres, and one off ramp off of westbound MO-152 onto Ambassador.  I realize the developers designed this (first mistake), and the city approved it (second mistake) as they only see the $$ and don't think about traffic and access. 

Yes, the commercial progress here is nice, but at what cost?  Increased driver frustration, traffic jams, and more mess on top of an already poorly designed area.
The 10pm news just had a small snippet about construction on Barry road widening it from 4 to 6 lanes.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

Geez. 6 lanes. Is there room for six lanes? I cant imagine how terrible Barry Road will be with more construction.  :shock:
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

drramos101 wrote: Geez. 6 lanes. Is there room for six lanes? I cant imagine how terrible Barry Road will be with more construction.  :shock:
I believe there's room for 6 lanes west of I-29. 

I analyzed the Cousins drawings for this center and I must say that this area is going to go from bad to worse in a hurry.  There is just no design or traffic planning here.  Adding Zona Rosa and it's screwy traffic desgin will only make things worse.  Can the Barry Road/I-29 interchange and intersection handle this amount of pressure?
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

BigBill33 wrote: Can the Barry Road/I-29 interchange and intersection handle this amount of pressure?
I live up here by all this so I'm in it practically every day. My opinion is no, it can't really handle it. On weekends it doesn't handle it hardly at all, let alone adding a bunch more retail. I'm all for the retail, but we need the infrastructure to service it, which just isn't happening.

And I don't think the city planners are oblivious to this, its likely there just is no money to do I-29/Barry Rd right. That small area needs to be razed and re-done with appropriately widened lanes and on/off ramps. There are too many stop lights in that small stretch, the lights right at I-29/Barry need to be removed, which means merging on/off ramps need to be built which is mega-dollars.
KC_Hams

Post by KC_Hams »

Here's the article about the widening of Barry Road east of I-29:

http://www.kccommunitynews.com/articles ... 240220.txt
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

SWFan wrote: I live up here by all this so I'm in it practically every day. My opinion is no, it can't really handle it. On weekends it doesn't handle it hardly at all, let alone adding a bunch more retail. I'm all for the retail, but we need the infrastructure to service it, which just isn't happening.

And I don't think the city planners are oblivious to this, its likely there just is no money to do I-29/Barry Rd right. That small area needs to be razed and re-done with appropriately widened lanes and on/off ramps. There are too many stop lights in that small stretch, the lights right at I-29/Barry need to be removed, which means merging on/off ramps need to be built which is mega-dollars.
I agree with you that this needs to be completely re-done, but there's just no funding for it.  I live at I-29/64th street, which is another mess, which needs to be re-worked!  I like how MoDOT has these signs that say "Planned" and "Completed".  All they did to MO-45 (64th Street) was to resurface it, which was an improvement, but they left the interchange alone!  IMHO, this would be the first improvment!
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

While driving east on 64th St. that left turn lane at the light before you go under I-29 drives me nuts (at Prairie View Rd).  Its a left turn onto PV Road, but people get in it to continue forward and then it becomes the left turn lane to get onto I-29 northbound.  I'm always nervous of the cars to my left when I'm in the left lane and will be moving over once through that light.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

How exactly do you get to this location from northbound I 29 without having to deal with Barry Road, Boardwalk Ave and Ambassador Dr.? You can't take the 152 Eastbound exit to N. Ambassador on I -29 because there is no exit for northbound N. Ambassador on 152. Are they planning on an new exit ramp there?  There is also no exit on I -29 for NW Skyview Ave.  So what gives?  I have to deal with Barry Road to get all the way over there?

"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

From north bound I-29 take the 152 Hwy exit (this is south of Barry Rd) and go 152 east to Green Hills Rd.  Exit at Green Hills road, go north over the highway and get back on 152 Hwy west, then exit at Ambassador, keep your place in line (there will be cars in front of you and behind you doing the same thing).  Isn't it great, someone was actually paid to design this highway on a greenfield development. &&&
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Don't shoot me down too quick, but honestly...

I'm just going to take I-29 north to Tiffany Springs Pkwy to avoid the clusterf*ck on Ambassador. Then just go south on Skyview.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.