KC ranks abnormally high for total office space

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

So we're led to believe these 1 million additional people are all working out of their homes? Or perhaps corrugated metal buildings ... falling through the class A-C (another consideration... how each market defines each category) office category cracks?

Again, the CBD number doesn't bother me as much as the full metro number (which is almost DOUBLE St Louis' figure).
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

St Paul (which arguably compares more to KC's skyline than Minneapolis).
That is some stupid and biased crap....
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

:lol:

I've never been to St Paul... I'm only going off a photo (you have to admit, with all those newer towers, Minneapolis' skyline is among the best in the nation). KC wins hands down on older architecture.

And I visit KC so often (at least every other month)... I consider it my second home (ahead of Phoenix where my parents/sister live). If there's any 'bias'... it's going to be in KC's favor.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

I think the distiction is Class A, B and C space... Minneapolis' downtown was built in the last 25 years compared to KC's massive amount of large older buildings. And this probably doesn't take into account that many of our large older buildings are being converted to lofts and will be taken off the office market.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

You may be on to something there. Although I would have expected KC's vacancy rate to be higher... it's right in line with everyone else as well.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Omaha, I was talking about your pic/post of St Paul, saying "it compared to KC." I think that is crap.

Minneapolis has more residential high-rises downtown than KC, you need to consider that some of thier skyline is residential. Minneapolis has alot less crime and a far more homogenous population. Aren't Asians thier largest minority?

These points make downtown Minneapolis more liveable than downtown KC right now. But in a few years I hope that changes.
Last edited by LyRiCaL GanGsTa on Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Well that goes both ways... -I- was talking about the skylines from an general aesthetic standpoint (not necessarily their office content). Obviously residential highrises do contribute in that regard. I'll just say that KC sits solidly between St Paul and Minneapolis... and beats either in older architecture.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

I think with Crown Center, Midtown and the Plaza, KC is bigger than both put together.

Heck, if we are going to get serious, Crown Center alone is bigger than downtown Omaha!...lol Crown center looks better as a skyline than Omaha.... probably has more sq ft too.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:Omaha, I was talking about your pic/post of St Paul, saying "it compared to KC." I think that is crap.

Minneapolis has more residential high-rises downtown than KC, you need to consider that some of thier skyline is residential. Minneapolis has alot less crime and a far more homogenous population. Aren't Asians thier largest minority?

These points make downtown Minneapolis more liveable than downtown KC right now. But in a few years I hope that changes.
minneapolis isn't slouching on construction either.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

the skyline of minneapolis with it's office towers:
Kansas City skyline with our many office towers:
And just for comparison, Omaha and Des Moines:
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Those 4 big towers of 55+ stories make Minneapolis an outstanding skyline. But Devin, why did you use that stupid photo of KC?

Dang... Des Moines is way cooler than Omaha...

Some guy on SSP.com is always posting about Omaha, Des Moines is half Omaha's size and looks twice as big and twice as cool!
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

some better (newer) minne photos:
first one by "msp", other two by me
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

you can't tell that from a few skyline pics.
there is actually a nice office district spawning in south minne, several million sf; but its build to suit stuff which doesn't exist in the other firms reports.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

you guys also have to remember, tall skyscrapers have alot of space, but they dont.
1KCp only has about 850k sq. ft.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

righto. example: the newly constructed target plaza (498' and ~300' building block) has 1.8 million sf.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I think we should mention Tower Place, composed of completely lowrise (downtown) and is 1 million square feet.
And LG, i used it because it is MY photo. That other photo has been posted too many times, so I thought we should change one time.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Like many western cities though, it appears that it goes almost suburban right past downtown. KC's core continues to impress me.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Image Now we just need to make this happen and no one can touch us.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

ah see, that is the sort of light rail we need, not suburb-city light rail.
I was bored in school today, so I just decided to see how much square footage we will have by the end of this year (if you count the soon to be u/c H&R Block, Fed Res, and IRS)
and I came up with about 80,000,000 sq. ft. for the whole metro.