New mayor for Blue Springs

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

When I went to bed about 2am the Star had declared incumbent Greg Grounds the winner for Blue Springs mayor. When I woke up just before 6 this morning the article had changed and now Steve Steiner is the mayor with 100% of the vote in. It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes things up, as Grounds had been the mayor since 1990.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Depending on how many people on the City Council are on his side, you could see a lot more retail development with a lot fewer restrictions on design, qualitly, tenants, etc. Steiner's campaign was largely financed by the real estate development community, who felt that the city was too picky with retail development by pushing for "Leawood-type" retail everywhere in the city.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: New mayor for Blue Springs

Post by trailerkid »

scooterj wrote:When I went to bed about 2am the Star had declared incumbent Greg Grounds the winner for Blue Springs mayor. When I woke up just before 6 this morning the article had changed and now Steve Steiner is the mayor with 100% of the vote in. It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes things up, as Grounds had been the mayor since 1990.
So Grounds was the mayor who was very conservative with new development right? Blue Springs really seems like it could become Olathe East-- if we're not careful. It could be one of those fringe 'burbs that takes on its own identity and wants to separate from "the city" as much as it can.