Some favorites when in Larryville...

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Although, I get pretty bored with most of the restaurants in Lawrence, there are a few winners...

Zen Zero [Mass. St.] neat little bistro-type Thai place without much pretense. I 'm mostly a fan of their heaping noodles and the Thai iced tea.

Quick's BBQ [6th Street] One of my Dad's favorites when he visits. Very down-home joint with some pretty darn good pulled pork sandwiches. The place is a sister location to the KCK one.

La Parilla [Mass Street] Probably my favorite joint in town. Not anything fancy...the key here is freshness. My favorites are their rice bowls, chimis, and fajitas. Order from the counter when you walk in, delicious Brazilian lemonade, and a kitchen in plain view from the dining room...enough said.

The Meat Market [New Hampshire] Cool, fun place to go. Food is a little off sometimes, but the waitresses are cute and the beer is cold. Very reasonable prices at this place brought to you by the KC Masterpiece people. Pretty good specials on drinks and a fun place to go for lunch or a happy hour, but the bar is dinky.

Overrated joints...
Teller's, Paisano's, Quinton's (at times), Free State (food isn't that special, but the place is Lawrence culture), Wheatfields , La Familia, El Mezcal

I've hear they're good, but never been...
Marisco's, Jefferson's, Pachamama's

What I love about many of the restaurants in Lawrence is that they are geared towards young people and their budgets. Any other favorites or disagreements?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I noticed that there is a Buffalo Wild Wings in Lawrence, and having been to many of them in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and elsewhere, went in. I was blown away by how crappy it was. For one thing, nobody calls it BW3's, and if you say "Beedub's," nobody has any idea what you're talking about. It seems, even in a college town, to be geared toward family dining, which, to me, was one of the great things about eating at Beedub's: avoiding children. They don't come to your table to wait on you, and the cavernous interior makes you(me, anyway) feel uncomfortable. It is definitely not the cozy, beer-centric, grown-up place I remember from points east.

The wings were good though.