thinking of moving downtown

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: thinking of moving downtown

Post by brian89gp »

cdschofield wrote: A friend of mine rents garage space in a warehouse in the west bottoms where a lot of other gear heads rent space. A great place where they work on their hot rods and motorcycles. If you're interested I'll try to get some info from him.
That would be awsome.

Another question, what do utilities usually cost in a high-rise such as 909 Walnut?
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

brian89gp wrote: Another question, what do utilities usually cost in a high-rise such as 909 Walnut?
The only utility in 909 Walnut is Electricity.  The units have heat pumps and get the KCPL discounted rates during the winter which makes the bills quite low.  In the summer, chilled water is piped to the units for the AC so the cost is only to run the fan for cooling (and maybe some pumps or something). 

I don't cook frequently but I keep the AC pumping (or the heat in the winter) and a lot of lights on (but they're *all* compact fluorescents).  With my usage habits, my bills are about $35 in the winter and about $50 in the summer.  My average use is about 500 kWh per month for my 1-br apt. 

Edit:  As for noise in 909, I've found very very little noise problems.  The only issue is that noise from the hallways comes in through the front door quite easily (and vice versa), but the hallways are usually empty.  The only thing I hear come through the side walls (except for someone dropping a pan on the floor or something) is if I'm lying in bed completely still and it's completely quiet, I can sometimes hear the toilet in the unit adjacent to mine flush. 
Last edited by jaysonv on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

My highest utility bill (all electric building) in the past 2 years was $130.  Thats with 1700 square feet and sun exposure on 3 sides.
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brian89gp »

Went and looked at 909 Walnut today and I must say I was impressed, everything was simply done but it was in no means cheap.  The only thing that bugs me is the pricing scale that they use, 1 bedroom apartments have a much higher entry point in price, I mean $900 for 700sq/ft with a view consisting of the side of a run down brick building.  A lot of the other places I called were roughly the same, I know you pay more for convenience but wow.
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

brian89gp wrote: Went and looked at 909 Walnut today and I must say I was impressed, everything was simply done but it was in no means cheap.  The only thing that bugs me is the pricing scale that they use, 1 bedroom apartments have a much higher entry point in price, I mean $900 for 700sq/ft with a view consisting of the side of a run down brick building.  A lot of the other places I called were roughly the same, I know you pay more for convenience but wow.
If you can get above the 16th floor, you can actually see quite far on the east side of the building.  I'm about level with that ugly brick building (which actually doesn't look so bad when you can see other things too) and it's not so bad. 

I couldn't get in to one, but I would have much preferred the other one-bedroom layout with the Western view and Southern window in the bedroom.  But there are only a handful of those and they go quickly from what I hear.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

brian89gp wrote: The only thing that bugs me is the pricing scale that they use, 1 bedroom apartments have a much higher entry point in price, I mean $900 for 700sq/ft with a view consisting of the side of a run down brick building.  A lot of the other places I called were roughly the same, I know you pay more for convenience but wow.
As long as there are people willing to pay robbery prices, prices will stay high. Market driven.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that's certainly not inexpensive, but it's definitely not robbery.  $900 for a brand new luxury one-bedroom in a landmark building downtown is pretty excellent.  by contrast, one-bedroom units in the wallstreet tower are on craigslist for $1200-1600!  considering that a borderline one-bedroom in a sketchy area of midtown will run you $600 and up, $900 for one of the nicest rentals in KC sounds pretty great to me!
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

700 sq feet is pretty big for downtown, too...
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote: that's certainly not inexpensive, but it's definitely not robbery.  $900 for a brand new luxury one-bedroom in a landmark building downtown is pretty excellent.  by contrast, one-bedroom units in the wallstreet tower are on craigslist for $1200-1600!  considering that a borderline one-bedroom in a sketchy area of midtown will run you $600 and up, $900 for one of the nicest rentals in KC sounds pretty great to me!
I think you and I probably have different definitions of "luxury"-let alone rental pricing.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nota wrote: I think you and I probably have different definitions of "luxury"-let alone rental pricing.

possibly but the apartments at 909 Walnut are top notch.  granite counters in kitchen and bathroom, hardwoods, stainless steel appliances, new w/d in each unit, fitness center, climate-controlled storage, on-site fitness center, attached parking in secure garage, giant rooftop terrace - all in a historic 35-story building four blocks from the river market, two from the heart of the CBD, 4 from the P+L District/Arena, and 9 from the Crossroads.    if a 1-bedroom in that building isn't worth $900, i'd be curious to know what you think is worth such rent.  new "lofty" apartments in lee's summit that are far inferior quality rent for $800 for a 1-bed.
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brian89gp »

chrizow wrote: possibly but the apartments at 909 Walnut are top notch.  granite counters in kitchen and bathroom, hardwoods, stainless steel appliances, new w/d in each unit, fitness center, climate-controlled storage, on-site fitness center, attached parking in secure garage, giant rooftop terrace - all in a historic 35-story building four blocks from the river market, two from the heart of the CBD, 4 from the P+L District/Arena, and 9 from the Crossroads.    if a 1-bedroom in that building isn't worth $900, i'd be curious to know what you think is worth such rent.  new "lofty" apartments in lee's summit that are far inferior quality rent for $800 for a 1-bed.
I am mainly comparing it to my current place, a townhome in Shawnee built 18 months ago, nice appliances, same build quality as 909 minus the hardwood and granite, and it is a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, living room, family room, garage, which totals to 1900 some square foot for $1000.  The parking also costs $65 per month so it totals $965, pretty close to the townhome.

I agree that downtown is more expensive, but that just seems high.  Now in another year when there is more stuff DT, then maybe but I am willing to bet that the $900 1 bed is going to go up drastically in price by then too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brian89gp wrote: I am mainly comparing it to my current place, a townhome in Shawnee built 18 months ago, nice appliances, same build quality as 909 minus the hardwood and granite, and it is a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, living room, family room, garage, which totals to 1900 some square foot for $1000.  The parking also costs $65 per month so it totals $965, pretty close to the townhome.

I agree that downtown is more expensive, but that just seems high.  Now in another year when there is more stuff DT, then maybe but I am willing to bet that the $900 1 bed is going to go up drastically in price by then too.
i personally feel downtown is worth a premium right now, especially since prices are only headed up. 909 is going condo in 2010, so that will be the last nicely-finished rental without an income restriction. i think if you're comparing a shawnee townhome and 909 walnut only on price, downtown may not be for you.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

brian89gp wrote: I am mainly comparing it to my current place, a townhome in Shawnee built 18 months ago, nice appliances, same build quality as 909 minus the hardwood and granite, and it is a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, living room, family room, garage, which totals to 1900 some square foot for $1000.  The parking also costs $65 per month so it totals $965, pretty close to the townhome.

There are many more things than square footage to consider. Think outside your apartment.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: There are many more things than square footage to consider. Think outside your apartment.
that is an excellent point for people to decide if they want to live downtown or not.

If you want to stay in your apartment/house/condo all the time, you probably aren't going to want to be downtown.....being downtown is more about being in your house secondary.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Since moving DT from West Plaza 2 years ago, I spend much more time in my condo than I did in my house.  I think it has something to do with being 160 feet in the air surrounded by glass.  I never feel closed in and why bother going out just for the hell of it when I can just glance up and SEE all of it(I often joke that I can plop my rear down in one spot all day and see the sun rise and set on the horizon without moving).  That and then I get a lots more friends just wanting to drop by nowadays.  That said, DT prices in any decent DT in the world cannot be compared to suburban prices per square foot.  DTs by nature will always be more pricey.  That the raison d'etre.
brian89gp
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brian89gp »

KCPowercat wrote: that is an excellent point for people to decide if they want to live downtown or not.

If you want to stay in your apartment/house/condo all the time, you probably aren't going to want to be downtown.....being downtown is more about being in your house secondary.
I do understand that, and if it were a year or two from now I could definitely understand.  I wouldn't mind paying 900-1200 for a place, 700sq/ft or not if there was more to do.  Downtown is getting better, but there still isn't much going on the majority of the time after 6-7pm, at least in my opinion.

The 700sq/ft 1 bed I looked at was on the East side on the 12th floor.  The only thing you could see out of the 2 windows was the sheer face of the brick building next door with the rusting fire escape and broken out windows.  There was a 1 bed on the 27th floor facing east that was 800ish sq/ft, but it was going for $1400 a month.

If I was living with someone it isn't as bad, either a large 1 bed or standard 2 bed could be had for around $1200 which isn't too bad for two incomes.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

brian89gp wrote: If I was living with someone it isn't as bad, either a large 1 bed or standard 2 bed could be had for around $1200 which isn't too bad for two incomes.
Sounds like you need to start frequenting some DT area pick-up bars.  :lol:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

brian89gp wrote: I do understand that, and if it were a year or two from now I could definitely understand.  I wouldn't mind paying 900-1200 for a place, 700sq/ft or not if there was more to do.  Downtown is getting better, but there still isn't much going on the majority of the time after 6-7pm, at least in my opinion.
You could go see some live jazz or rock, sit on a rooftop for a few drinks while the sun sets, plunk a couple bucks down on some Golden Tee or Silver Strike, enjoy whatever happens to be going on at the Lyric or the Folly...there's plenty going on! Granted, there will be even more next year, but really, there's nowhere else in the city with so much going on now. In a year it will be insane.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

mean wrote: You could go see some live jazz or rock, sit on a rooftop for a few drinks while the sun sets, plunk a couple bucks down on some Golden Tee or Silver Strike, enjoy whatever happens to be going on at the Lyric or the Folly...there's plenty going on! Granted, there will be even more next year, but really, there's nowhere else in the city with so much going on now. In a year it will be insane.
^^^ Exactly. There is more going on downtown than you'll have time to take part in, I promise you that. Live music at various places, great specials at downtown spots on various nights of the week, events in the performance spaces, etc. Another great thing is that you can build a network of friends that live downtown so you are always a few blocks away. If I feel like grabbing a beer, I can IM a friend and they'll be at Harry's in 5 minutes to meet me, or, better yet, I can just go over there and chances are I'll see someone I know.

It is a great neighborhood both in the traditional sense and in the urban experience sense. It'll get better, but it is great now. It just takes a little bit of know-how and effort.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I don't mean any offense by this, but in my experience, it seems that the people that say/think there isn't enough going on downtown are the ones that have never really tried. Come downtown during an off-time, when you think it'll be dull and empty. Come some time besides First Friday, or the night of a big concert, or on a market day. Come on a wednesday when you're sure there'll be nothing going on. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Unequivocally, without a scrap of doubt, downtown is Kansas City's most exciting neighborhood, right now, and it's getting better all the time.